Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Hygienist Cost/Time.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Any idea why it costs more for cleaning to be done by the dentist than by the hygienist at my dental surgery?

I'd have thought the dentist would be charging more to reflect their more extensive qualifications and training.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Hygienists actually spend longer training to clean teeth than Dentists do, it is only a part of Dentists training whereas it is the primary focus for Hygienists.

Some Dentists charge more than their Hygienists based on nothing more than the fact that they want you to use the Hygienist to have your teeth cleaned, some patients still insist on Dentists doing it so you are going to pay more. In other clinics the Hygienists appointments are longer than the Dentists, so they cost more. My Hygienists appointments are typically 40mins, longer than I would ever spend cleaning anyone’s teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tbsdental

It's frustrating when you pay a lot and feel you didn't get much done. Dental hygienists usually do a lot more than that, like cleaning all teeth surfaces. It's different based on where you go and what you need. Sometimes, they focus on specific areas or teach how to brush better. Prices vary too, so it might be worth asking what's included next time. If you feel you didn't get what you expected, it's okay to ask or look for other places with clearer pricing or services.

Advertisement