Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Radio

• 13-07-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Over the weekend I'd the pleasure of driving up and back to Donegal and noted the following few things that irked me a bit.

Newstalk's Weekend Blend with Orla Barry. Really really poor editing and timing. I understand that some interviews need to be prerecorded but two of the interviews she had were just very choppy, and seemed very rushed when getting back into the live bits of the show.

Newstalk's Repeats (in general). Really really badly edited. I understand that they probably couldn't give a toss about it as its just a time filler, but there have been loads of times when a really good segment from earlier in the day has just stopped midway to allow the news or an ad break. Really feckin annoying!

i102 104's iCycle with Michael Doherty. Listened to this for a bit on the way home on Saturday night. Decent mix of stuff, ruined only when he talked (as is the case with a few DJ's). Couldn't pronounce place names like Naas, Oughterard and some other place I can't remember. He did this thing of joining in with the track near the end, adding 'ooohh, aahhh, yeeaahh, uuh huuh'. Just wanted to twat the guy.

The above chap got me remembering back to when Tony Christie (DJ Crisp) used to rap over songs during his Dance Show on Midlands 103 back about 7 or 8 years ago. Bleedin hysterical, I'm guessing that he was trying to emulate the success of Mark McCabe.

Any more gripes with Irish radio past or present?

I'll come back with a positive thread in a week or two, but just listening to the radio for about 8 hours over the weekend had me cringing or cursing far too often for my liking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

connundrum wrote: »
    Any more gripes with Irish radio past or present?

Syndicated and voice-tracked shows
    Follow-the-herd mentality in playlisting
    Today FM's / Ray D'arcy's reliance on everything that's happening in the UK tabloids and news for most interviews or even when picking "odd one out" contestants
    Lack of live overnights (even the old pirates used to do this on a shoestring budget)
    Lack of proper local radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

connundrum wrote: »
    Over the weekend I'd the pleasure of driving up and back to Donegal
    I'll stop you right there connundrum. Nobody should get pleasure from driving on any roads in the west of Ireland, particular not those ones in Donegal ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Syndicated and voice-tracked shows
    Follow-the-herd mentality in playlisting
    Today FM's / Ray D'arcy's reliance on everything that's happening in the UK tabloids and news for most interviews or even when picking "odd one out" contestants
    Lack of live overnights (even the old pirates used to do this on a shoestring budget)
    Lack of proper local radio

Fair play Liam, I agree 100% with you here on the Today FM / Ray D'arcy comments. I'm sorry but it aint good enought to trot out the old line that "we're a small country and there is limited news" emanating from here. It is the LAZY, LAZY, LAZY option promulgated by many but particularly by those people who just grew up watching too much UK television. Mario's work seems to really suffer from this approach too, which isi a shame as he's a huge talent.

And, don't even get me started on Moykel Mc Mullen.

Rant over. Pissing rain all week here in Kerry on the holliers with mrs and the little garbanzos.

Advertisement