Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaners

• 13-07-2009 3:37pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it has finally happened, I've gotten too lazy to clean my own how, don't judge me :(

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting someone in to give the place a once over, you know clean the floors, windows, bathrooms, dust, general house work, does anyone know of someone? Also, what would be the going rate? And, do I have to supply all the cleaning stuff?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Never had a cleaner myself, though it would do my house a world of good :o.

My neighbours had a cleaner for some time, a Brazilian girl from Ennis. Apparantly she was very good. They paid her 30 Euro for 4 hours work which I thought was outrageous, it was under minimum wage. It's hard physical work after all, and any handyman get's way more.

If I had a good cleaner I would pay her at least the minimum wage, more likely a bit more.

And yes, you have to provide all the cleaning stuff. It wouldn't make financial sense for a cleaner to buy all the stuff herself. And I suppose you have it anyway in the house.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow, that's some price for 4 hours work, sounds good get the number will you :D

I figured that about the supplies alright, thought I'd make sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

I got a slip of paper put through my letter box last week offering cleaning services. I'll pm you the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

careful now!!

We get a cleaner once a fortnight for 4 hours (€50), she is good (Lithuanian).

We had a girl before her (Karen a Brazilian girl with a 2 year old), basically suffice to say that a few things went missing in my and my sisters house while she worked for us. Make sure to get a reference or 2 if possible , there are some people out there that wouldn't be recommended.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was just thinking that myself, I would ideally like to get the name of someone that someone else has used

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Wow, that's some price for 4 hours work, sounds good get the number will you :D

Sorry, couldn't get her number for you.The neighbours moved back to their home country and didn't need her anymore.
    But I've seen her (the Brazilian cleaner) and she was a good looking girl, too. :P
    Deeply, deeply sorry... :D

About trust. Yes, that's always the problem with finding a good cleaner, as far as I heard from people who had one. But it's not only the foreign cleaners who nick. I once had Irish builders in the house who were quite generous with what's mine and what's theirs. Little things, but still. There is always one from every nationality.

Good luck anyway with your cleaner. And please post your experiences!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

palaver wrote: »
    They paid her 30 Euro for 4 hours work which I thought was outrageous, it was under minimum wage.

I presume that she is legally entitled to work in this country and has paid tax in this country?

After hearing comments on radio about board snip last evening, an unemployed couple with three children can claim over €40,000 between all the allowances available.

Can you imagine what our own "country cousins" with their 8-12 children are collecting tax free.

That stat, if correct, would make me think twice about paying someone that is not legit.

At the end of the day who pays?

I don't quite get your point. And what one has to do with the other. Seriously.

Do you want to say that "our own "country cousins" with their 8-12 children" should go cleaning to earn their keep? Would they? I doubt it.
    And why 8-12 children? I don't know anyone who has that many children. These times ar long gone.
    And even if so, do you know how much children cost? Not only food, clothing and shelter, but education, medical care and what not.

And why do you assume the girl was not legit? Or if she paid tax. Her earnings might well be below the limit to pay tax. Or do you resent foreign workers as such as long as there are Irish people unemployed?

Please explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

palaver wrote: »
    I don't quite get your point. Please explain.

Please re read my OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

dh0661 wrote: »
    Please re read my OP

Well now, I for one, don't want to read it again. Once was more than enough.

Clareman, look what you started! Get the Dyson out and zap your own dust bunnies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 yuzbin

foxirl
    could you message that number to me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

i have a cleaner, and my friends have cleaners. We all pay €10 an hour. I would be lost without mine!!

Advertisement