Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building New PC - thoughts/suggestions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Baza210 wrote: »
    It's quite hard to get a cheap AM3 mobo because the ones that use DDR2 seem to be about €50 more than DDR3...[/QUOTE

True enough, not much of a budget selection out there at the moment.

Actually you never said what you intended to use the PC for in your original thread, which makes it a little harder to make suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

not any specific use, really, I'm just stuck with a netbook as my main computer right now, and I'd like something that's a good all-rounder and can handle most things thrown at it, both CPU and GPU-wise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Much gaming for example? What size is the monitor?

I would like to do some gaming, yeah...
    Don't have a monitor yet, still looking into that. BenQ E2200HD looks nice, not sure how well my setup would fare with 1080 resolution.

I have robbed CPU Peter a little to pay motherboard paul and come up with this, however ultimately the 720BE is only 22E dearer so it may be worth just taking the plunge now. I think this would suit you fine and a good board leaves better opportunity for future upgrading of CPU etc. The 1GB HD4870 will be needed to play at very high settings in Full HD, if you settle for a smaller monitor the HD4850 will be just fine. All opnions welcome (The case in particular I am just taking a bit of a wild stab at around the 30E mark).

85092.JPG

• Advertisement

Thanks for the setup! My components aren't really set in stone right now, because I was considering waiting until after Windows 7 / DirectX 11's release as I'd anticipate a wave of new hardware about that time.

Thanks for the setup! My components aren't really set in stone right now, because I was considering waiting until after Windows 7 / DirectX 11's release as I'd anticipate a wave of new hardware about that time.

I doubt that you will see many Direct X11 games in the next couple of years, so not much point waiting for DX11 cards I don't think. Most other core hardware progresses pretty much independently of OS releases to be honest. Anyway a few things to think about over there, good luck with whatever you decide to build. :)

EDIT: Actually one thing that might happen in the not too distant future is cheaper DDR3 RAM / AM3 Boards as they become more established.

I was thinking that a DDR3 mobo might be a wise investment, even if their performance isn't the greatest right now..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Hijacked.

2lbc32e.png

Operating Systems will be ubuntu and Win7.
    Regarding thermal paste, AM3 use them suction cup thingys right, doing away with the need for it? Or do they?

EDIT: Okay, I know they're not called suction cups. Pads or summit....

Thought's please! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sorry, you just gave me a great mental image there... Plastic suction cups are not a permissable solution for high-grade thermal transfer! lol.gif Yeah, the thermal pad on the stock cooler gives you a one-shot Get Out Of Jail Free card but if you install an aftermarket cooler that doesn't come with one, or need to re-install any cooler at any point in the future then you'll need some.

That's an odd wee build there... do you intend on gaming on it? If "Yes", then graphics card is too weak given the rest of the build. If "No", then graphics card is too strong given the rest of the build :P For <1080p, HD4850 is grand. For ~1080p you need a HD4870 1GB or GTX260 55nm at least and at >1080p we're talking HD4890, minimum. Monitor size is irrelevant, the nature of TFT monitors means its the native (i.e. maximum) resolution that matters! And if you're not gaming then even for >1080p a HD4350 should be grand :)

And what's up with the two DDR3 kits? You don't really need 8GB of RAM at that level of processing power!... do you?

Oh, and you do know you could save a tenner and get a decent 500GB HDD in the process, right? ;)

• Advertisement

Re:heatsinkfan: CPU won't won't be clocked straight away. Sometime down the line it will. I'd consider getting an aftermarket one now if it would make a notcible difference in temps now, ie -10% min and would lower the noise level!
    If not i'm also considering the P2 X4 (not the 955, the other one)BE from the get go.

Re: gfx: won't be gaming alot. Usually do some small time graphics/visual rendering and video editing, not enough to warrent a big ****off GPU. Need somethin that will be more than capable of taking the load off the CPU.

RAM: I don't mind spending the money on it now. I want to try it out, see how programs load etc. There will be multiple users logged on to this machine.

HDD: caught rapid :o I did an ineany meany miney mo! I'll have a proper look at them tomorrow(on iPod ATM) I like those F1 drives actally.

Cheers solly

400W is leaving you very little leeway should you wish to go for a more powerful component in the future.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Right. Money is finally in my account. Gonna order tomorrow or the next day.

Any last minute changes I should make?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 boxed, 12MB, LGA775 - €187.76
    MoBo: Gigabyte P43-DS3 ATX - €64.70
    RAM: 4096MB-KIT Corsair XMS2 PC8500 CL5 - €43.02
    GPU: Club3D HD4650 512MB Passive - €51.77
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB SATA II - €63.51
    DVD: Samsung SH-223Q - €24.20
    Case: Coolermaster Elite 360 - €31.58
    PSU: Corsair CX400W 400W - €41.29
    WLAN: DIGITUS Wireless LAN PCI Adapter DN-7006Gt - €9.16 - Do me until I get by act together and run cat5e/6 up to my room
    Monitors: 2x Dell 2009W - €288 - Bought
    Soundcard/Speakers: I'll use the ones I already have for the time being..
    Assembly: Let them build it for me - €20.00

Total: €827 + €30 shipping = €857

400W is leaving you very little leeway should you wish to go for a more powerful component in the future.

I don't think I will. Mind you, I haven't looked at that power
    Consumption calculator thing yet. The corsair VX 550 will be more than adequate anyway if needs be.

Jonathan wrote: »
    Right. Money is finally in my account. Gonna order tomorrow or the next day.

Any last minute changes I should make?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 boxed, 12MB, LGA775 - €187.76
    MoBo: Gigabyte P43-DS3 ATX - €64.70
    RAM: 4096MB-KIT Corsair XMS2 PC8500 CL5 - €43.02
    GPU: Club3D HD4650 512MB Passive - €51.77
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB SATA II - €63.51
    DVD: Samsung SH-223Q - €24.20
    Case: Coolermaster Elite 360 - €31.58
    PSU: Corsair CX400W 400W - €41.29
    WLAN: DIGITUS Wireless LAN PCI Adapter DN-7006Gt - €9.16 - Do me until I get by act together and run cat5e/6 up to my room
    Monitors: 2x Dell 2009W - €288 - Bought
    Soundcard/Speakers: I'll use the ones I already have for the time being..
    Assembly: Let them build it for me - €20.00

Total: €827 + €30 shipping = €857

The cheek a you! Get off, this is my thread now!!!!!

The cheek a you! Get off, this is my thread now!!!!!

lol.gif
    CPU won't won't be clocked straight away. Sometime down the line it will. I'd consider getting an aftermarket one now if it would make a notcible difference in temps now, ie -10% min and would lower the noise level!

Hmm... Not so sure - Intel can always be relied upon to give crappy stock HSFs, but AMD are much better about giving you a stock cooler that won't turn your shiny new CPU into The Towering Inferno :D Hell, on high-TDP models the stock coolers have friggin' heatpipes! :eek: Can't imagine Intel doing something like that.

But while a solid AMD cooler will negate the need for a €10 or even €20 CPU cooler, some cheap-ish models can give a lot of bang for your buck, so its unlikely you'll need to blow €60 on a decent cooler :) Xigmatek's large towers work well, and the S1283 is usually dirt-cheap (under €25) on HWVS and can be rigged for near-silent running via PWM (at which point it doesn't lose much cooling power at all funnily enough!) That'd give a big improvement over stock, plus if need be you could always rip off the Xiggy's fan and replace with quiet *cough*Scythe*cough* 120mm fan later if need be (very unlikely with a standard S1283 as the original has a relatively silent fan)
    If not i'm also considering the P2 X4 (not the 955, the other one)BE from the get go.

Not the 955... do you mean the 940?

Uh-oh :o

There's three different friggin' versions out at the moment! :eek:
    X4-940BE: Black Edition :)Not AM3, I repeat, NOT AM3! 125W.
    X4-940: Not Black Edition. OC must be done via FSB clock. AM3. 125W.
    X4-940: Looks similar to the second, but is a newer stepping! AM3. Much more efficient, check the details carefully, as its only 95W.
    Re: gfx: won't be gaming alot. Usually do some small time graphics/visual rendering and video editing, not enough to warrent a big ****off GPU. Need somethin that will be more than capable of taking the load off the CPU.

Hmm... What software are you using? Aside from stuff that's rendered, codec'd or otherwise shifted onto the GPU do you use any software that gains any benefits from CUDA? If so a switch to the Green Team may yield dividends. Otherwise stick with ATi. And a 400W PSU will only really work for this build if you keep the CPU down to a 95W model, and the GPU up to HD4770 (i.e. below 55W). If you want to use a 125W CPU or a HD4850+ you'll need a 450W; if both you'll need a 550W or more.

Solitaire wrote: »
    lol.gif

Hmm... Not so sure - Intel can always be relied upon to give crappy stock HSFs, but AMD are much better about giving you a stock cooler that won't turn your shiny new CPU into The Towering Inferno :D Hell, on high-TDP models the stock coolers have friggin' heatpipes! :eek: Can't imagine Intel doing something like that.

But while a solid AMD cooler will negate the need for a €10 or even €20 CPU cooler, some cheap-ish models can give a lot of bang for your buck, so its unlikely you'll need to blow €60 on a decent cooler :) Xigmatek's large towers work well, and the S1283 is usually dirt-cheap (under €25) on HWVS and can be rigged for near-silent running via PWM (at which point it doesn't lose much cooling power at all funnily enough!) That'd give a big improvement over stock, plus if need be you could always rip off the Xiggy's fan and replace with quiet *cough*Scythe*cough* 120mm fan later if need be (very unlikely with a standard S1283 as the original has a relatively silent fan)

Not the 955... do you mean the 940?

Uh-oh :o

There's three different friggin' versions out at the moment! :eek:
    X4-940BE: Black Edition :)Not AM3, I repeat, NOT AM3! 125W.
    X4-940: Not Black Edition. OC must be done via FSB clock. AM3. 125W.
    X4-940: Looks similar to the second, but is a newer stepping! AM3. Much more efficient, check the details carefully, as its only 95W.

That's good to hear about the coolers. I'd consider it worthwhile if it'll be whisper quiet. That said, I will check the prices on komplett and OCUK; if there is only a few euros difference I will wait till the stock cooler goes in to hear for myself.

Re: X4; I think the P2 X4 945 is what i was on about. It has a TDP of 125, though it runs cooler than the X3BE. by ~10C. Hey solitaire, you're smart - why is that? Google is being unhelpful :o

aside: Looking at those new budget AM3's at the mo.
    Hmm... What software are you using? Aside from stuff that's rendered, codec'd or otherwise shifted onto the GPU do you use any software that gains any benefits from CUDA? If so a switch to the Green Team may yield dividends. Otherwise stick with ATi. And a 400W PSU will only really work for this build if you keep the CPU down to a 95W model, and the GPU up to HD4770 (i.e. below 55W). If you want to use a 125W CPU or a HD4850+ you'll need a 450W; if both you'll need a 550W or more.

I'd love a HD4470..... Want to keep the air temp inside the case as low as possible (hence the 4670 with the HIS exhaust-esque type fan) seeing as how I will more than likely have four RAM modules in there, granted, the ones I'm going for aren't going to be over-volted (every little helps).

Quick question..... Assume, for a moment, that we live in a world with a plentiful supply of RV740s....

How would a HIS 1GB 4670 fair against the XFX(the one withthe same type of fan) 512MG 4770? will there be much difference in temps and performance under load?

P.S. trying to avoid nVidia :)

Good luck getting your hands on a 4770...

Good luck getting your hands on a 4770...
    RTFP.

Chill out...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Quiet down girls...

Any changes I should make to my build?

Yeah, get an i7 975, your processor is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

If you're stupid enough to buy an i7 then atleast buy a 920 and OC it. Q9550 is a tasty CPU jon, I got mine yesterday, didnt have much time to play with it but it seemed pretty nice.

Ran prime95 for an hour and the CPU didnt even break 55 degrees.. Havn't tried to OC it much yet. For the craic I opened up the FSB, wouldn't boot at 3.4 on stock vcore but it did boot and run at 3.2 with nothing but the FSB ampped up..

vcore on stock volts was.. 1.117 I think.. can't remember exactly. Really really nice CPU either way.

lindan_facepalm.jpg

Google is being unhelpful

Because I'm a moron banghead.gif

There aren't three X4-940s, I speed-read the X4-945 wrong :o

If you do mean the 945, get the new stepping. Only a fiver more and the TDP has seen a big drop. Wondering if the new-stepping X3-720BE will show up with an 80W TDP and more OC headroom. That would be flippin' sweet! :D

X3 running way hotter than a 125W CPU is BS. 95W of waste heat <<< 125W of waste heat. I know the 65/80W CPUs have a more conservative cooler, and the 125W Phenom2s have almost the same crazy heatpipe'd monster as the Phenom1s, but I've never seen the stock AMD cooler for the 95W CPUs. If its closer to the X2-550BE's "lump-o'-metal" then that could easily explain the bulk of the difference between the X3 and X4's temps. If they were tested with a similar cooler, then the tester fails at experimentation. Or somehow broke physics. Which do you think is more likely? :P

Ignore the other "new" AMD CPUs, its just the low-end AM3 Athlon2s (A2) and Sempron2s (S2). At least the S2 is reasonably fast and fully 64bit this time, even if it still has just the one core :)
    How would a HIS 1GB 4670 fair against the XFX(the one withthe same type of fan) 512MG 4770? will there be much difference in temps and performance under load?

The term "anal rape" doesn't come close.

HD4670 is nice but it just doesn't have the oomph to make use of the added framebuffer in all but a handful of 2D apps - even the HD4850 (and GTS250) has difficulty making any use of memory over 512MB in 3D apps, and on the HD4870 it only starts to make a big difference once you take 3D apps up to 1080p. So we're comparing two vanilla cards in effect.

And its just not a fair comparison. One has fastish GDDR3 and 4 SIMD clusters, while the 40nm GPU has slow GDDR5 and 8 SIMD clusters. And its single shader core has been reworked, and is far more powerful than what the 55nm GPUs have, as it shrugs off stuff even a dual-shader-core HD4830 gets bogged down with. Heck, if you want to see how bad a single 55nm ROP is, look at the HD4730. In a shader-heavy environment it gets eaten alive, dropping down behind the 9600GT to sit with the HD4670. And that card has a RV770LE just like a HD4830, but with crippled shaders and bus width - the extra 4 SIMD clusters compared to RV730 might as well not exist.

So one HD4830 is nearly twice as good as a HD4670, and the HD4770 trumps the HD4830. Only the insufficient memory bandwidth (courtesy of the naff bus width it shares with the HD4670) hobbles it a bit, keeping it from eating the HD4850 alive. And that's a 50-55W card, half the power requirement of a HD4850! Shame there aren't any... :(

Are ATI going to be releasing any cards worth taking note of between now and W7/DX11?

Solitaire wrote: »
    Because I'm a moron banghead.gif
    Wondering if the new-stepping X3-720BE will show up with an 80W TDP and more OC headroom. That would be flippin' sweet! :D
    Yeah an hopefully they won't drop the clock speed while they're at it!:rolleyes: That would be über win!
    X3 running way hotter than a 125W CPU is BS. 95W of waste heat <<< 125W of waste heat. I know the 65/80W CPUs have a more conservative cooler, and the 125W Phenom2s have almost the same crazy heatpipe'd monster as the Phenom1s, but I've never seen the stock AMD cooler for the 95W CPUs. If its closer to the X2-550BE's "lump-o'-metal" then that could easily explain the bulk of the difference between the X3 and X4's temps. If they were tested with a similar cooler, then the tester fails at experimentation. Or somehow broke physics. Which do you think is more likely? :P
    I shoulda said i was talking about max temps (but i bet you already know that) - i reckon temps @ idle would show differently? i.e. the X3 being a bit lower than the X4....
    I was just having a read over on overclock.net....
    "when i had my stock cooler i have overclocked my cpu to 3.6 but temps were xD 66C Load"
    http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/536471-amd-phenom-ii-x3-720-stock.html

broke physics then, anyone?
    So one HD4830 is nearly twice as good as a HD4670, and the HD4770 trumps the HD4830. Only the insufficient memory bandwidth (courtesy of the naff bus width it shares with the HD4670) hobbles it a bit, keeping it from eating the HD4850 alive. And that's a 50-55W card, half the power requirement of a HD4850! Shame there aren't any... :(

Where do you find the wattage of gfx cards? just had a quick peak on amd, it's not on the spec sheet. :confused:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4830/24.html - some good info there, may be a bit old.

@Jmcc -
    Compared to the Core 2 Quad Q9550 the new X4 955 generally comes out ahead.

From a longevity standpoint, the AM3 platform is much wiser to invest in than LGA-775. Intel has already shown all of its cards there, and there aren't going to be any faster Core 2 Quads - just cheaper ones. By the end of this year Intel will begin transitioning to LGA-1156 and 775 will start fading away.

Something to think about, maybe. The X4 955 is €20 cheaper, but then you might have to get a more expensive mobo and DDR3.

• Advertisement

Something to think about, maybe. The X4 955 is €20 cheaper, but then you might have to get a more expensive mobo and DDR3.
    Aye. I'm aware that its the last of the 775.. Hence the (more or less) top of the line CPU. But by the time I upgrade AM3 will probably be gone too..

It's just a case of do I want to wait for the i7 8xx series and 1156

The cycle is never ending tho.

Advertisement