Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building New PC - thoughts/suggestions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

So you don't plan to upgrade for two or three years?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Baza210 wrote: »
    So you don't plan to upgrade for two or three years?
    Nope. By which time most of the components will have to be fcuked out anyway..

Yeah, I see your point then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Seriously, who upgrades these days? Get a nice case it will last you two, maybe three builds. But apart from that and the optical drive, everything needs to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Boston wrote: »
    Seriously, who upgrades these days? Get a nice case it will last you two, maybe three builds. But apart from that and the optical drive, everything needs to be replaced

So you wouldn't upgrade from a dual-core to a quad-core, for example?

• Advertisement

What's your current setup?

somakasvh wrote: »
    So you wouldn't upgrade from a dual-core to a quad-core, for example?

Nope. I'd buy the quad to start off with. I might upgrade some component (like more ram) but its unlikely, so I'm not going to plan for it.

Nope. I'd buy the quad to start off with.

That's besides the point. LGA775 will never see any better CPUs, whereas something like AM3 could see 6 or more core CPUs or a brand new architecture altogether.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

somakasvh wrote: »
    That's besides the point. LGA775 will never see any better CPUs, whereas something like AM3 could see 6 or more core CPUs or a brand new architecture altogether.
    I'd be with Boston on this.

Buy for now, and buy a fresh when you need to upgrade.

I'm not saying you should go for AM3 over LGA775.

I'm just saying that there's something to be said for building an upgradeable system. If you'll be happy with 2 or 3 year old hardware along the line, then it doesn't particularly matter if you don't put together an upgradeable system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

broke physics then, anyone?

Nope, just not an apples-to-apples comparison. The X4 had a better cooler and the X3 was overvolted and overclocked. Easy to see which one would be hotter ;)
    i reckon temps @ idle would show differently? i.e. the X3 being a bit lower than the X4....

If a 125W X4 then yeah, but bear in mind the 125W CPUs come with better coolers! And if a Black Edition CPU is overvolted too far power-saving states may fail to kick in. Kinda silly to compare a stock X4 to a heavily OCd X3 with a weaker cooler though...
    Where do you find the wattage of gfx cards? just had a quick peak on amd, it's not on the spec sheet.

Although AMD quotes a TDP for each standard card design they seem to make them up as they go along. Only place to get actual power consumption figures is X-Bit Labs, as they're the only site that tests it (they have a special rig for testing component and connector voltages and currents).
    Baza210 wrote:
    Are ATI going to be releasing any cards worth taking note of between now and W7/DX11?

They were, but then TSMC's 40nm process went tits-up which has hit both companies hard. No die-shrinks, and if the G300 GPUs show up soon they'll be 55nm. There are still rumors that ATI is still committed to releasing the ultra-high-end HD4895 and HD4890X2 (actually Siamese HD4895, not HD4890!) but since Asus released the GTX295+ (all 1000 of them! And that's it!) it's all gone quiet in the red camp. They did release the low-end HD4730 recently, and its the first ATi card in quite a while to truly suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Solitaire wrote: »
    If a Black Edition CPU is overvolted too far power-saving states may fail to kick in...

I was under the impression that you had to turn off power-saving, i.e. "cool n quiet" in AMD's case, before you could even go near the voltage (for overclocking)???

Cheers for the rest of the info btw.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pretty much. If you get a fairly high end pc you might need to upgrade the graphics card after a while to keep everything maxed out but if you do any serious upgrading, it's gonna be a gut the whole system job.

I was under the impression that you had to turn off power-saving, i.e. "cool n quiet" in AMD's case, before you could even go near the voltage (for overclocking)???

AFAIK that hasn't been the case for either Intel or AMD since the launch of 45nm products. Hell, I need to keep EIST enabled to keep the highest multiplier on my E5200...

On Phenom2 the CPU can automatically shut down CnQ if it needs to, usually at voltages in excess of 1.45V. Which means 3.8GHz+ territory. Up to 3.6-3.7GHz (average, varies a bit in real life) you can keep CnQ even with an overvolt defined. And I have EIST up with an overvolt on my E5200. Generally CnQ will poop itself once you've hit 1.5V+, and without phase-change etc. you're only looking at strangling another 200-300MHz out of a P2 that's at the "crazy voltage" threshold. So trying to squeeze 3.8-3.9GHz is almost pointless given the dramatic rise in peak power usage (due to voltage jump) and titanic jump at idle (voltage and disabled CnQ) compared to a much happier - yet not much slower - 3.6-3.7GHz.

AFAIK that hasn't been the case for either Intel or AMD since the launch of 45nm products. Hell, I need to keep EIST enabled to keep the highest multiplier on my E5200...

On Phenom2 the CPU can automatically shut down CnQ if it needs to, usually at voltages in excess of 1.45V. Which means 3.8GHz+ territory. Up to 3.6-3.7GHz (average, varies a bit in real life) you can keep CnQ even with an overvolt defined. And I have EIST up with an overvolt on my E5200. Generally CnQ will poop itself once you've hit 1.5V+, and without phase-change etc. you're only looking at strangling another 200-300MHz out of a P2 that's at the "crazy voltage" threshold. So trying to squeeze 3.8-3.9GHz is almost pointless given the dramatic rise in peak power usage (due to voltage jump) and titanic jump at idle (voltage and disabled CnQ) compared to a much happier - yet not much slower - 3.6-3.7GHz.

Sweeeeeet :D

Where is the cheapest place to source a logitech mx 5500 keyboard / mouse?

Most places online seem to be circa €120 inc delivery.

Any souper sekrit mx 5500 store? :P

Well, you can get it under €120... if you can pick it up from Elara's pick-up point :D

Well, you can get it under €120... if you can pick it up from Elara's pick-up point :D
    ZOMG! Bargain! €119.08 :P

Jonathan wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest place to source a logitech mx 5500 keyboard / mouse?

Most places online seem to be circa €120 inc delivery.

Any souper sekrit mx 5500 store? :P

How much does that thing weigh?

# Product Dimensions: 3.9 x 19.9 x 10.1 inches ; 11 pounds
    Why do you ask?

And it's a mere €117.86 now Jon http://elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1494415#spec :P

• Advertisement

Why do you ask?
    Is that inc packaging or just the keyboard or the keyboard+mouse.

+ €1.22 for collection.

Is that the original keyboard SW was going to get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have that keyboards & mouse's older brother, the mx5000. Its great, untill you install setpoint (its software). There was sometimes a delay in the movement of the mouse and even typing, when i got rid of setpoint all those problems went away!

I have that keyboards & mouse's older brother, the mx5000. Its great, untill you install setpoint (its software). There was sometimes a delay in the movement of the mouse and even typing, when i got rid of setpoint all those problems went away!
    Worth the hefty price tag?

Are most of the buttons still functional in their default states without installing shitpoint?

The mouse is lovely

I got the Dinovo Media two years ago. It was worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The Screen doesnt do anything, but other that that most things work , i think. Volume & mute do anyways , i'll have a look later and test it out.

Its very nice, but dont know is quite worth the money, I got it as a present, wouldnt have spent that kind of money on it myself, but thats all relative as i dont have that kind of money full stop :pac:

The mouse is lovely

I got the Dinovo Media two years ago. It was worth the money
    Still going strong?

How is the connection over BT on that one?

It's grand, but I have it less than a foot from the receiver. The keyboard has the nicest feel to it, but the number pad is almost never used.

• Advertisement

It's grand, but I have it less than a foot from the receiver. The keyboard has the nicest feel to it, but the number pad is almost never used.
    Shouldn't be any more than a meter away at most.
    I assume there is no problem with pairing with another BT dongle? One built into a laptop for example?

Advertisement