Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building New PC - thoughts/suggestions

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Jonathan wrote: »
    Shouldn't be any more than a meter away at most.
    I assume there is no problem with pairing with another BT dongle? One built into a laptop for example?

Well afaik you'll need to use the receiver which comes with it, or another logitech one. The BT devices should be able to operate no problem however wifi is a massive interference source for BT, so you may run into problems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Well my computer finally arrived.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions.

DSC_3395_thumb.jpg

On second thoughts, it might have been worth the extra €25 for a modular psu. That said, the airflow seems pretty good.

Benched the cpu and only hit about 60 degrees at full tilt. It seems to idle at about 35 degrees.

I've yet to load the gpu though, should be interesting because it is passive. Just installing Orange box at the moment.

My 12V seems to be acting the bollix tho.
    Anyone know why?
    temps_thumb.png

Whole system:
    DSC_3400_thumb.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Also:

Any reason to go for Windows 7 Professional 32bit over 64bit?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Well my computer finally arrived.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and suggestions.

DSC_3395_thumb.jpg

On second thoughts, it might have been worth the extra €25 for a modular psu. That said, the airflow seems pretty good.

Benched the cpu and only hit about 60 degrees at full tilt. It seems to idle at about 35 degrees.

I've yet to load the gpu though, should be interesting because it is passive. Just installing Orange box at the moment.

My 12V seems to be acting the bollix tho.
    Anyone know why?
    temps_thumb.png

Whole system:
    DSC_3400_thumb.jpg

Error is with CPUID I'd say. I severly doubt the PC would even post if it was actually only getting 4.3V. Don't trust software for PSU measurements.

No reason not to go with 64 bit IMO. 32 Bit OS should be banned for all new computers so so 64bit apps can start taking off. :)

marco_polo wrote: »
    Error is with CPUID I'd say. I severly doubt the PC would even post if it was actually only getting 4.3V. Don't trust software for PSU measurements.
    Oh well yea, I guessed that. But I was thinking maybe there was a known bios fix or something that someone had come across before. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Oh well yea, I guessed that. But I was thinking maybe there was a known bios fix or something that someone had come across before. :)

Should do a quick google for 12V rail and cpuid. :p Seems a suspiciously large amount of MBs need a bios fix is that is the case. :D

marco_polo wrote: »
    Should do a quick google for 12V rail and cpuid. :p Seems a suspiciously large amount of MBs need a bios fix is that is the case. :D
    Ahhhh grand. I thought I was the only one.

Just stressed the gpu and it never went over 72 degrees. I'm happy. Means I don't have to add more case fans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

DSC_3400_thumb.jpg

Nice looking setup. How is it fan noise wise?

Also, nice map of the internet :P

somakasvh wrote: »
    Nice looking setup. How is it fan noise wise?
    Fan is very quiet. You can barely hear it. I was expecting louder tbh.

Fan was awful loud when I turned it on at first mind you. I had another look, and the cpu fan cable was obstructing the fan :pac:
    Also, nice map of the internet :P
    Hahaha thanks. Didn't intentionally include that though!

One of my sticks of RAM is faulty. Kept getting BSODs :(

Currently typing on 2GB single channel.

Has anyone delt with HWVS for RMA's before? My german isn't great and I can't find a link on the site.

Can I just RMA the one stick or do I have to return the two as they were in the one twin pack?

Do I have to pay for shipping over and back? A stick of RAM is only €20, shipping would prob cost more.

Can I RMA directly to Corsair?

• Advertisement

Did you try using the two red DIMM slots instead of the yellow?
    Do you get the BSoD with just the faulty DIMM installed on its own?

Try running memtest86 with a few different configs just to be sure. You can grab a bootable ISO here

Did you try using the two red DIMM slots instead of the yellow?
    No. I haven't tried that. Didn't think it would make any difference tbh.
    Do you get the BSoD with just the faulty DIMM installed on its own?
    Yes. BSOD'd before the windows login screen had even come up. Two start ups in a row.

No BSOD's now since I switched to the single good DIMM.

I haven't tried memtest but used the windows memory tester yoke and with both DIMMs in, they failed the test with a hardware error. The good DIMM on it's own passed, and the bad DIMM failed twice.

No. I haven't tried that. Didn't think it would make any difference tbh.

Could potentially be a dodgy DIMM slot.

Also, did you remember to set your Vdimm to 2.1V in the BIOS?

Could potentially be a dodgy DIMM slot.
    I took both of them out and reseated them in opposide slots, and when i was testing them individually, i tested them in the known good slot.
    Also, did you remember to set your Vdimm to 2.1V in the BIOS?
    Yup. Speaking of which, when did RAM start running at 2.1V? I always thought it was 1.8V :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

RAM started running at 2.1V when all the OEMs started focusing on DDR3 production and the supply of decent chips dried up, forcing many memory manufacturers to overvolt their RAM to keep up :rolleyes:

And RAM rated for overvolting often has issues. Especially DDR2. Try overvolting the chipset. A lot. That's the usual fix for overvolted DDR2 not behaving itself :o

Swapped slots and ran at 2.2V and it passed the memory test.

Dropped it back to 2.1V again in the opposite slots and passed too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Could be a bad slot or mobo/northbridge/PCB traces favour the other slots over the ones you used originally.

Advertisement