Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving lessons in Athlone

Options
  • 13-07-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Can anyone recommend a good driving instructor in Athlone?

This is for 17yo DS who is well able to drive and has his driving test at the end of the month.

ta much
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Dave Benson.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭maidie

Harry McElroy in Monksland, Myself and 4 sisters passed with him, he is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Cannot Praise Dominick Mulligan from Westdrive enough.

Really decent Guy.. Very Genuine & has a great style of teaching.

The best I have encountered. Born Mentor.

He's based in Mayo.. and will drive to Roscommon Town anyway.. So you would have to see if he would come to you, or meet him in Roscommon etc..

Honestly.. The word Brilliant does not do him justice.

He actually trains Driving Instructors - so is definitely the Man that you are looking for.. If he'll travel - http://www.westdrive.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Fergie McCormack is excellent! Will put you at ease and have the craic with you... he's not a bollox!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Used Fergie for two lessons before my test. Was good to just tidy up a few things. Sound to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

+1 for Fergie McCormack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    +1 for Fergie McCormack

-1 for Fergie if your a beginner. Patience is not a virtue of his.

Im sure hes grand if your more advanced (as you mentioned)

Id recommend Quantum for overall quality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

-1 for Fergie if your a beginner. Patience is not a virtue of his.
    Im sure hes grand if your more advanced (as you mentioned)

I had 2 left feet when starting and could barely put the key in the ignition and had no patience issues with Fergie. Quite the opposite in my case. He put me at ease striaght away and kept going over and over and over again on things until I got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

My vote goes for Harry McElroy too. Passed first time with him, as did my sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 denmcn

Thanks everyone......will go book him in now!!
    D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Auburn school of Driving

Chris Flynn

A gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

maidie wrote: »
    Harry McElroy in Monksland, Myself and 4 sisters passed with him, he is very good.
    I agree. I know 3 young people who passed first time with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Szewinska

Gerry Murphy would be my pick. He put me right anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Onikage wrote: »
    Dave Benson.

I learnt how to drive with Sandy (i think) of bensons and found her very good, but was put off by them there lately.

By brother is finally started to learn to drive, about 3-4 years ago his girlfriend bought him driving lesson vouchers with benson. He no longer has the vouchers but on his first lesson with Sandy she said to him , without him bringing it up, that she thought he had vouchers in their office and to talk to Dave about it. He paid the €40 for the first lesson. He rang Dave before his second lesson with Sandy and he said he'd talk to him about the vouchers after the lesson. After the lesson he said cant do anything about the vouchers, they are not on the system anymore (when obviously they were unless Sandy has a photographic memory). Personally, and maybe not all will agree but i thought that was fairly sh1tty of him, even if he gave him half the value of the vouchers or something and what was worse to have him do the second lesson before telling him he wasnt going to honour them.

None of my family will be going back to them anyways
    neaideabh wrote: »
    Fergie McCormack is excellent! Will put you at ease and have the craic with you... he's not a bollox!

My GF swears by him, my brother is after getting a lesson off him this week and thought he was good. Doesnt seem to be any bull with him.

Advertisement