Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking a Non-Catholic church

Options
  • 13-07-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hiya, I'm a foreigner here and come from a country with a lot more diversity of belief. I'd like to go to church here, but I'm perhaps a bit fussy! There are a few 'christian' churches full of jargon, rhetoric and smiles, which make me feel uncomfortable with their unrealistic positivity and apparent shallowness. There is also the Protestant church in town which I have been to quite a few times but find it too formal and dogma based. I would really like to go somewhere full of real people who acknowledge both our hard times and celebrations. Please note: I am not criticising any of the people who attend these churches we all have different needs. It might sound like a strange request but I have found them in other countries, there must be one here in Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What type of churches did you find before? Is there a certain genre of Christianity you're looking for?
    I've seen "alternative" churches in Liosban Estate and other places outside the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

Yes I know of the one in the Liosbaun, they run the Christian Camp of the Arts for children. I guess I just wonder if anyone out there goes to one of these places in Galway and can say they are okay as the ones I have made the effort with were just not 'normal' enough! It's not any particular genre, I would just like to find people who don't exclude the possibility of God and spirituality from life. So many people I meet do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

SMCG wrote: »
    I would really like to go somewhere full of real people who acknowledge both our hard times and celebrations.

How about going to a pub?

Yeah - that's about it here it seems sometimes. Any other ideas tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

St Nicholas's church of Ireland. Theres a baptist church in Victoria place, and there is always the Jehovah Witnesses in Ballyban.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Discovery or Galway christian fellowship would be your best bet in my opinion.

I personally would recommend Discovery

http://www.discoverychurchireland.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Can't you just be content with the voices in your head?

Yes I guess some people have to be :-)
    Seaneh have you been to Discovery? What's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I think there's also a church group who go to the Westwood on Sundays; you could check with the hotel.

Fey! wrote: »
    I think there's also a church group who go to the Westwood on Sundays; you could check with the hotel.

That's discovery Fey!

Yes I guess some people have to be :-)
    Seaneh have you been to Discovery? What's it like?

Yes, I go there, it's a really good chruch, lots of young people, lots of youth, great pastor.

• Advertisement

I checked out the website and it seems good.
    Now I need to find a friend to go with - might be more of a challenge! Find it hard to turn up to places on my own.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would be fascinated to hear what you think of Discovery, it look WAAY to much like Destiny for my liking.

I was gonna suggest the Methodist/Baptist place in Victoria St (effectively the top of dock road), but someone already has.

There's a Seventh Day Adventist school in Merlin Park, I guess that means there must be a church around too.

There are a few African churches around the place too: one meets in Castlegar Sports Centre (which is actually in Roscam!) on Sunday mornings. (Or was meeting there, anyway). Not sure if they'd welcome a non-African though.

Hi JustMary - do you mean Destiny in Auckland?
    That would worry me....
    Do you go somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sure do. They don't have a "Bishop" Brian Tamaki (AFAIK), but still they style seems similar to me (admittedly based on the website, and a few casual conversations/observations - haven't personally visited).

I'm Catholic, after much visiting have actually found myself a parish where they actually talk to visitors and offer a cup of tea each week (quite a rash concept for this part of the world). Took a while though, I was seriously considering visiting the CoI etc to check 'em out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Like the Church of the Subgenius, I promise eternal salvation or triple your money back.

Discovery is an Assembleys of God Ireland church and directly linked to St. Marks in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'm one of the worship leaders and youth leader at Living Word church. PM me if you want to know more. We're in the Loisbaun Estate

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

St Nicolas's church??

and before any of ye say its a proddy church.. it isnt.. its church of ireland.. i.e. doesnt follow the monarchy of a certain country's belief system:P

St Nicolas's church??

and before any of ye say its a proddy church.. it isnt.. its church of ireland.. i.e. doesnt follow the monarchy of a certain country's belief system:P

All non-catholic churches are "Proddy" churches...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hi Smcg,

You could check this out

http://www.humanism.ie/website/index.php

I think they have a great mix of spirituality and realism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

OMG, I was under the impression that boards was only for Catholics...... are ye trying to tell me that some of you might be "proddys"???????:D.

Do the Moderators know?????????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Damn proddy's and their oh so similar beliefs! :p hehehe... sorry off topicness...sorry OP I can't be of assistance, i'm a follower of no church, but my own being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Check The Covenant Fellowship. They Manage Aishling Bookshop in Abbeygate Street. They're old school, small but sincere. Their website is http://www.covenantfellowshipgalway.ie/

They're a Reformed presbyterian Church

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

JustMary wrote: »
    Sure do. They don't have a "Bishop" Brian Tamaki (AFAIK), but still they style seems similar to me (admittedly based on the website, and a few casual conversations/observations - haven't personally visited).

I'm Catholic, after much visiting have actually found myself a parish where they actually talk to visitors and offer a cup of tea each week (quite a rash concept for this part of the world). Took a while though, I was seriously considering visiting the CoI etc to check 'em out.

Sounds to me that you are just looking for freebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hiya, I'm a foreigner here and come from a country with a lot more diversity of belief. I'd like to go to church here, but I'm perhaps a bit fussy! There are a few 'christian' churches full of jargon, rhetoric and smiles, which make me feel uncomfortable with their unrealistic positivity and apparent shallowness. There is also the Protestant church in town which I have been to quite a few times but find it too formal and dogma based. I would really like to go somewhere full of real people who acknowledge both our hard times and celebrations. Please note: I am not criticising any of the people who attend these churches we all have different needs. It might sound like a strange request but I have found them in other countries, there must be one here in Galway?
    Looks like you are looking for something like a Unitarian.
    Not sure if there are any in Galway. You might an open minded Church of Ireland or Methodist would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

there has got to be a salvation army in galway,isent there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Follow my creed.

All the cool kids are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

vulcan57 wrote: »
    St Nicholas's church of Ireland. Theres a baptist church in Victoria place, and there is always the Jehovah Witnesses in Ballyban.

The also seems to be a Baptist meeting house in just outside Barna, a house on the right hand side as one goes to Furbo.

Advertisement