Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Bus Fares Up 79%

Options
  • 13-07-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

in the real world of the private sector enonomy prices are falling but any sector associated with this Govt prices are going up and up and up..

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0713/schoolbus.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It was subsidised, it is now subsidised less. Would you prefer the money spent of transport or education?

What do people expect when they decide to buy a "cheap" house in the middle of nowhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

in the real world of the private sector enonomy prices are falling but any sector associated with this Govt prices are going up and up and up

This is the kind of lazy comment that is associated with this type of increase. The government needs to spend less money, so it reduces some subsidies, by increasing charges. Do you suggest that everything goes on to direct income taxes?
    What do people expect when they decide to buy a "cheap" house in the middle of nowhere?

Perhaps they didn't, but inherited the house from their ancestors who have always lived there since schools were introduced. Perhaps too these people attended the local school which has now been closed in favour of a school at another location, a process eased by the promise of school transport at reasonable rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Victor wrote: »
    ... Would you prefer the money spent of transport or education? ...

They are inextricably linked. Money spent in supporting schools would be of no benefit to children whose parents cannot afford to get them to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Victor wrote: »

Well then let's sell the family farm and move everyone to an estate in the nearest town so!

Even then only a fraction of regional towns have a bus service, few even have taxis. Just a few hackneys working when it suits them.

And you have to live a certain distance from the school to avail the school bus.
    So you move to the town you get no bus service at all.
    On the rothar I suppose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The bus charges are still fairly good value.
    300 a year equates to €1.80 per secondary school day - for a return journey of anywhere between 3 miles and maybe 10 miles.
    Joe Duffy and the press are making a big thing out of it. It was probably tooo cheap before now (looks like it hasn't gone up much since 1997)
    see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/increases-to-school-bus-charges.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

mikemac wrote: »
    Well then let's sell the family farm and move everyone to an estate in the nearest town so!

er. ...no....just pay for the school bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

:mad:Nice to see the government are sticking to progressive tax policys and are not just resorting to hitting the weak and vulnerable (school kids).
    All you 'it was too cheap anyway' brigade are just incouraging this anti poor anti family hack (cut is too nice a word).

And still no wealth tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

eamonnm79 wrote: »
    :mad:
    All you 'it was too cheap anyway' brigade are just incouraging this anti poor anti family hack (cut is too nice a word).

And still no wealth tax!

I have 4 kids myself - and whilst it is a big increase - it is still not a big price.
    I agree though - there are bigger targets out there that should be tackled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Ogham wrote: »
    I have 4 kids myself - and whilst it is a big increase - it is still not a big price.
    I agree though - there are bigger targets out there that should be tackled too.

Quite. My favourite hobby horse: According to Wikepedia, in 2006 there were 482 national quangos and 350 local ones with a total budget of €13billions and 5,784 appointees. On July 5th the Independant reported 1000 quangos, 200 of which have been established in the last three years, which means, according to them, there is now one quango for every 4,000 people in the state. I use the term reservedly in a debate forum, but WTF??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many people don't get inheritances.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0714/1224250639702.html
    Large increase in school bus fares
    KITTY HOLLAND

The Department of Education has confirmed the school bus service for secondary school students is to increase in cost from €168 for junior cycle children and €234 for senior cycle children, to a flat €300 for each student from September.

A department spokesman said there had been no increase in school transport charges between 1998 and 2007. She stressed the maximum amount payable by a single family, regardless of the number of children using the school transport system, would be €650 annually.

More than 135,000 pupils use public school transport daily and about 6,000 routes are covered daily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Many people don't get inheritances.

Indeed. Many people do not inherit any sense of culture or values, but become mere cogs in the economy.

Advertisement