Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Standing up to the Squidgy-ness! *

Options
  • 13-07-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Right, so I've been told that the only way to lose weight is to tell the world my problem and get some support and advice from all you lovely people here!
    So I'm just gonna post a very quick intro today and then try to update it every day (eek!) from now on.
    Any advice or thoughts on how I can improve would be much appreciated, and don't hesitate to tell me what I'm doing wrong!:D

Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 11st 0lbs (bear in mind I have a large chest which weighs at least half a stone in itself!)
    Target Weight: 9st 7lbs

The problem:
    I used to be able to eat what I liked, but I'm past those wonderful teenage years now and i'm slowly getting more and more squidgy.
    I want to lose about a stone and a half but I find it really hard not to eat the foods I like, since I'm so used to it from my "younger years"!

I joined a gym 5 months ago but gave up on it after 2 months, but I've decided to go there to have a fitness assessment tonight, and I'm hoping it'll motivate me a bit and make me feel that I CAN lose the weight.

I want to cut down on certain foods, like carbs and fats (but I don't want to cut them out) and increase my intake of fruit/veg and low calorie foods. I basically want to go by the traditional food-pyramid, with the right ratios of each food group every day.

Will post my fitness test fiasco here asap....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hi Sosyourface,
    Just had a quick look through your post, I don't think you should be cutting out all the fats from your dite. You should still be getting in plenty of good fats and oils eg. fish, nuts, seeds. Check out here for some great tips and the diet & nutrition forum for some more nutrition information:
    Also there is a fitness recipe's thread here which might help you out a bit if you're finding it too hard to give up the sweet stuff:

Best of luck with the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sosyourface

Right so yesterday's dreams of fantastic fitness tests went out the window. I got caught in a MAJOR downpour on my way home from work so by the time I got home I was soaked through and had struggle out of ruined clothes and hop in the shower before I froze to death. Ergo, i missed my fitness apointment at the gym. Have re-scheduled it for next week though.

** Can a mod please move this thread to the Food Diary subforum in the Nutrition & Diet Forums, thanks! **

Today's food diary 14.07.09:

Breakfast:
    - Bowl of Kelloggs Fruit & Fibre in Low fat milk
    - Cup of tea (no sugar, teensy tiny drop of milk)

Lunch:
    - Small salad (size of a side-plate):
    lettuce, sweetcorn, peppers, cucumber, 5 bite-size pieces of cooked chicken, desert spoon sized portion of potato salad
    - 2 slices of wholemeal soda bread (small amount of butter)
    - 15g bag of plain popcorn (no salt/butter)

Snack:
    - Cup of tea (no sugar, teensy tiny drop of milk)
    - Purple Snack bar (lowest calorie bar I could find)

(The rest is only planned as need to go shopping after work...)

Dinner:
    - 3 baby potatoes (boiled)
    - palm-sized portion of Salmon
    - mixed veg (boiled)

Other:
    - at least 2 cups of tea
    - random fruits

Your comments / criticisms are welcome!:confused:

Hi Sosyourface,
    I don't think you should be cutting out all the fats from your diet. You should still be getting in plenty of good fats and oils eg. fish, nuts, seeds.

I don't want to cut out all the fats. I just want to stay away from the "obvious" ones (e.g. pizza, fast food, chinese, etc.) and substitute in the good ones for them.

I was proud of myself last night because my bf decided to get a McDonalds, and I was totally in the mood for one after the soaking I got on the way home from work, but I thought about it, realised I wasn't very hungry anyway, and that it's crap food, and decided just to have a bowl of cereal instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭LouLou1

Congrats and good luck with it, will be watching your progress....:):)

Breakfast:
    - nothing
    (didn't get to have it as work was hectic when I got in)

Lunch:
    - half a sandwich (ham, cheese, mayo, lettuce - on wholemeal bread)
    - cup of tea (drop of milk)

Dinner:
    - 2 slices of ham/pineapple/pepperoni pizza
    - 2 chicken dippers
    - handful of wedges
    (I caved due to being starved from the day at work and being annoyed that I was so busy...)

Other:
    - another 2-3 cups of tea (with milk)
    - 3 rich tea biccies

Ok I know it was a bad day and I feel sh!te about it now. I'm sure it'll happen again a few times before I can get myself on the "straight & narrow"!

Must add in that I don't generally get much time to exercise, but I do have a (very) brisk walk going to and from work (20 mins each way).

Will try to post today's log later on...

• Advertisement

Breakfast:
    - bowl of fruit & fibre (low fat milk)
    - tea (with milk)

Lunch:
    - salad (lettuce, ham, sweetcorn, peppers, cucumber)
    - 2 slices of wholemeal soda bread
    - bag of cheese & onion taytos

Dinner:
    - 2 Ham & Cheese toasties on brown bread
    - glass of orange juice

Snack:
    - small slice of apple tart
    - tea (with milk)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck with it op.

Love the username by the way. It's up there with 'that's what she said'!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fruitsalad

good luck will follow your progress and hopefully by the weekend ill have taken the leap and joined you and will be up and bloggin my heart and diet out!:)...... how scary!

Breakfast:
    - half a bowl of Fruit & Fibre (low fat milk) ... Didn't get to finish it due to massive workload waiting for me on my desk

Lunch:
    - 2 slices of wholemeal soda bread with butter
    - 15g bag of non-butter, non-salted Popcorn
    - cup of tea with low fat milk

Dinner:
    - cheeseburger :(
    - orange juice

Snacks:
    - cup of tea with low fat milk
    - Animal bar

The thing is that I don't know if what I'm eating is good/bad/indifferent!

Any nutrition-heads out there care to enlighten me? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Not sure Toasties and stuff are great.

Can I suggest that you add more veg?
    If you have a steamer, you can cook broccoli or cauliflower in less than 5 min.
    You can stirfry pak choi or chinese leaves in minutes in a pan or wok.
    Spinnach takes about 5 min to wilt in oil.

You can cook veg really quickly and contrary to popular belief, it has lots of energy which is easy to break down.

Pizza, wedgies and dippers are the devil for your purposes.
    They only seem easy. A pain in the arse is not a good enough reason when you can do healthier stuff more easily.
    How are you on red meat?

Pop corn is good.
    Soda bread is good.
    Tayto is Bad.

Try nuts for a snack.
    Almonds, plain peanuts etc. Much better than crisps.

Also, if you get a chance, look in the stickie thread on nutrition.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Not sure Toasties and stuff are great.

Can I suggest that you add more veg?

Pizza, wedges and dippers are the devil for your purposes.

How are you on red meat?

Pop corn is good.
    Soda bread is good.
    Tayto is Bad.

Question re: Toasties... Why are they bad? Surely brown bread is ok to eat, as is ham, and cheese provides protien.... add a bit of heat and voila, you have a toastie.... So can someone explain how they are bad?

The lack of veg is purely due to the fact that I need to go grocery shopping, which can't happen until I get paid on the 24th of the month. Ergo, I'm trying to make dinners out of whatever I have at home. I love my veg usually.

I agree with the premise that Pizza etc is the Devil.... I was pissed off with myself after I ate it.

I'm not too worried about eating the odd bag of taytos, because I used to eat a hell of a lot of crap, so I think having one small thing a day isn't bad. For example, today I had an Animal Bar as a treat, but I won't have anything else "bad" for the rest of the day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Question re: Toasties... Why are they bad? Surely brown bread is ok to eat, as is ham, and cheese provides protien.... add a bit of heat and voila, you have a toastie.... So can someone explain how they are bad?

The lack of veg is purely due to the fact that I need to go grocery shopping, which can't happen until I get paid on the 24th of the month. Ergo, I'm trying to make dinners out of whatever I have at home. I love my veg usually.

I agree with the premise that Pizza etc is the Devil.... I was pissed off with myself after I ate it.

I'm not too worried about eating the odd bag of taytos, because I used to eat a hell of a lot of crap, so I think having one small thing a day isn't bad. For example, today I had an Animal Bar as a treat, but I won't have anything else "bad" for the rest of the day now.

O.K. :)

Breakfast:
    - bowl of fruit & fibre, low fat milk

Lunch:
    - sandwich: wholegrain bread, butter, ham, cheese, peppers
    - orange juice

Dinner:
    didn't have anything, ran out of time before heading to a friend's house for a few drinks...

Snacks/Other:
    - packet of Salt & Vinegar Hunky-Dorys :(
    - full bottle of Rosé wine :(
    - hot dog in Dicey's bar :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Hey! Best of luck, you'll get to your goals no bother :P

I recommend that ya start trying to cut down on carbs, like for breakfast have scrambled eggs instead of cereal! And then instead of having a sandwich have a salad...
    Everyone loves chicken ceaser salads like ;)

If ya want any advice just ask! And keep up the work =]

Just going to admit that today is a write-off. Following on from the lack of a dinner yesterday, plus the bottle of wine, I was somewhat hungover this morning, so food-wise I was bad today.

Breakfast:
    - 2 small glasses of Club Rock Shandy :(:( (to get my tongue off the roof of my mouth)
    - 2 slices of brown toast with butter
    - tea (with low fat milk, as always!)

Lunch:
    - white roll: lettuce, cheese, ham
    - mint Aero bar :(
    - tea

Dinner:
    - rice
    - chicken (in Uncle Bens sweet & sour sauce :()

Snacks/Other:
    - more cups of tea
    - 2 Cadbury's mini-rolls :(:(
    - glass of Diet Coke :(

Shame on me!!!!!!

keep going tomor is a new day! good luck :)

Hmmm... so I can't remember what I ate the last few days (nor do I *want* to remember, I'm sure) so here we go again starting from today!

Wednesday 22.07.09

Breakfast:
    - bowl of Fruit & fibre (low fat milk)

Lunch:
    - cheese toastie
    - 15g bag of popcorn
    - tea

Dinner:
    - lasagne
    - boiled veg

Snacks/Other:
    - nutri-grain bar
    - numerous cups of tea

welcome back, good luck:)

Breakfast:
    - fruit & fibre, low fat milk

Lunch:
    - lasagne (home-made)

Dinner:
    - sandwich (ham, cheese lettuce, on brown bread)

Snacks/Other:
    - lots of tea
    - nutri-grain bar

Breakfast:
    - fruit & fibre, low fat milk

Lunch:
    - lasagne (home-made)

Dinner:
    Going out to a Chinese restaurant for dinner.
    Planning to have:
    - spring rolls for starters
    - thai green curry & rice for mains
    - ice-cream for dessert
    +
    - a few glasses of wine

Snacks/Other:
    - 3 cups of tea
    - nutri-grain bar

• Advertisement
Advertisement