Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems getting bond back

Options
  • 13-07-2009 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

Hey, We rented a house last year, paid the bond etc and left at the end of May as was part of the contract. Ever since we have been trying to get our bond back. The house is in perfect nick, we didn't damage it or anything.

Our contract says that the house owner has to pay it back to us, however we cannot get in touch with him, and have been trying for the last 7 weeks. We have tried his mobile, his home phone (which was a take away!) and nothing, just voice mail with no call backs. We have even managed to track down where he works, but we can't get in contact with him there either.

The agency which we used to rent the house are now avoiding us too. Everytime we ring, the person we need to speak with is always in a meeting, and they'll call back when they are finished, which they never do. We fear that they are going out of business and are unable to pay us, though im not sure whether they are legally obliged to do so.

Anyway, just looking for some advice here, where do we stand. If we can't get hold of the owner, are the agency responsible for covering the bond?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Benzino wrote: »
    Hey, We rented a house last year, paid the bond etc and left at the end of May as was part of the contract. Ever since we have been trying to get our bond back. The house is in perfect nick, we didn't damage it or anything.

Our contract says that the house owner has to pay it back to us, however we cannot get in touch with him, and have been trying for the last 7 weeks. We have tried his mobile, his home phone (which was a take away!) and nothing, just voice mail with no call backs. We have even managed to track down where he works, but we can't get in contact with him there either.

The agency which we used to rent the house are now avoiding us too. Everytime we ring, the person we need to speak with is always in a meeting, and they'll call back when they are finished, which they never do. We fear that they are going out of business and are unable to pay us, though im not sure whether they are legally obliged to do so.

Anyway, just looking for some advice here, where do we stand. If we can't get hold of the owner, are the agency responsible for covering the bond?

Thanks.
    your tenancy should have been registered with the Private Rented Tenancies Board and you can contact these and treshold for advice but i would think the landlord has no intention of returning your bond/deposit so you should contact the PTRB without delay and take this further. they will take any action required and may even get you interest for the time the landlord has delayed repaying your bond. but be aware this whole process can be slow and may take a year or more.

http://www.prtb.ie/disputes.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

ive noticed this problem a few times and im a bit confused, if you give notice to your landlord/agency the you are moving out in a months time, surely they should inspect the house, get evidence that the utility bills are paid and hand over the deposit when the keys are handed over.

i would expect the property to be inspected in my presence and any issues to be sorted out there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

When I left my last rented place, I moved out, hung on to the keys for a few days until the landlord had a chance to inspect the place (after all, if it was in poor repair he couldn't have rented it out straight away again). He called to say all was fine, but could I give the grill pan another clean :) We arranged to meet at the apartment the next day, I went half an hour early to give the grill pan another going over. He checked it, I handed over keys, he handed over the deposit, all was well in the world. Maybe he was a uniquely decent bloke, but I wouldn't hand over keys until they'd inspected the place - how else are you supposed to sort out anything they notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Just an update, we got the bond back today. :)

The reason why we didn't show him the house while we were there was because nobody could get in contact with him, and the agency needed the keys to the house asap.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement