Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over Creosote

Options
  • 13-07-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've a lean-to outside the kitchen which covers in the yard. It's a timber frame supporting a corrugated perspex roof. When I put it up some twenty or more years ago, I coated all timbers, including outside doors, with creosote. Over the years, I've replenished this as weathering demanded. Now then, is there any way I can cover this with something (a) safer and (b) less liable to stain those coming into contact with it, than creosote? At the time I originally did the job, I wasn't aware of the toxic qualities of the creosote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

As far as I know, it is hard to paint over creosote as if it is a hot day the creosote kind of melts and bleeds through any coating you put on it, like paint, but that is not to say but there is some special type of paint or covering for the job.

Advertisement