Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxygen

• 13-07-2009 5:36pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So did anyone go? How was it?

The lineup looked quite good but really I had little interest in going - and after the reports I heard I'm glad I didn't. Weather and conditions alone - just not fun when you have to deal with all that, its like being in a slum!

I heard it was a complete and utter scumfest and heard some horrible reports of stuff that happened.

Apart from that, how were the acts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

Couple of friends of mine went, said it was better off avoiding the dance tent at times because it got pretty rough in there, scumbags just looking for fights. People going around and just jumping on other peoples tents when they were inside them, and just going inside and robbing stuff. One of them has been the last 3 years, said this was the worst year for scumbags yet, which was a shame because the line up was one of the best.

TBH I was annoyed at not being able to go, but looking back I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Also did anyone see Felix Da Housecat last nght on justin.tv? He streams all his shows live, connestion wasnt great but crowd looked like they were loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

was at oxegen and basicly lived in the dance arena, didn't find it to bad at all to be honest compared to other things i have been at. For me deadmau was average, seen him in sligo and he was a lot better. felix da housecat was very good a great set. For me swedish house mafia stole the show, their set was unreal they had the whole place buzzin especially when they did the michael jackson songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hesho

I had a good laugh overall.
    The weather was a shambles on Sauturday but the Friday and Sunday was more or less fine.

Seen m83 and Blur on the friday and both were excellent. Felix da Housecat was pretty good on the sunday as well, played a pretty straightforward festival set but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

Didnt see any trouble myself but heard of tents being wrecked etc but I did notice a much larger police presence compared to previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

Boys Noize took 1st place for me,
    absolutely tore the arena up saw them last year at oxegen too hes unreal!
    deadmau5 and japanese popstars were quality too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Had a great weekend myself, didn't see that many scumbags at all in the Dance Arena, in fact there were probably more at the main stage the one time I was at it!

2 Many DJs were my act of the weekend, amazing set and visuals. Went backstage with them afterwards and got a free beer and a tour of their tour bus from the two lads and the bassist from Soulwax. Easily the highlight of my weekend :)

Felix Da Housecat comes a close second, really great set and atmosphere in a packed out Dance Arena.

Really enjoyed Crookers too and the lap dancers on stage with them ;)

Bloody Beetroots, MSTRKRFT, Boys Noize, Tiga, Digitalism and Japanese Popstars were all excellent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Jello wrote: »

Really enjoyed Crookers too and the lap dancers on stage with them ;)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 barred4life

i arrived early on friday morning and from the second i set foot in the place it was a disaster.i was there 2 years ago and swore i wudnt go back but unfortunately i did there were scumbags all over the place and as usual they were going around in their hundreds.i seen 1 set of scumbags pick up a tent with a couple inside and **** it on top of another.it failed to sell out for the 1st time this year i guarantee it will be empty next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

For me Swedish House Mafia was the highlight of the acts i saw in the Dance Arena, played a great set and really got the crowd going.

Felix the Housecat was a close second closing on Sunday night. Only caught a small bit of Boyz Noize's set before i headed off to see Bloc party and KOL and they were putting on a great show too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Holy Crap!
    5416_101595923127_668778127_2091201_8374060_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Anyone know if the sets can be downloaded anywhere?? Would love to hear a few of them again. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

eoin99 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the sets can be downloaded anywhere?? Would love to hear a few of them again. Cheers.

I know in the Red Bull place they recorded everything, dunno about anywhere else...

I wwas in the Dance arena once and it was pretty mad. I saw DJ Lovedoktor or something, he was alright, but I went to see Digitalism, and they were pretty sweet. A lot of their stuff was normal DJ stuff, I only recognised a few of their tunes. Harder Better Faster Stronger was class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Delete, tried to link an emailed pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

In before the thread-lock......

I thought the dance arena was dire, full of pieballs starting rows with people, saw a few lads getting kicked around, whatever happened to peace and love at a rave?

:confused:

The music was the most monotonous ****e ive had the misfortune to listen to in a long time, and I was in there for a good while on Saturday and Sunday when the rain came down....

I suppose if you liked electro-haus you wouldve been in your element!

:rolleyes:

Tsk, I remember Witness 02 (i think?) when there was Richie Hawtin, Laurent Garnier and Dave Clarke on at the weekend, bring back them days and I wouldve been happy!!!!

On the plus side I saw some really great bands, NIN, Gaslight Anthem, Director, Messiah J were a particular highlight, even Lily Allen was great fun...

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The last to leave!
    ?ui=2&ik=349ab04ffe&view=att&th=12278cc6ccb57a7e&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw
    Sorry for the big pic
    Your pic doesn't show. It needs a log in to load.

Fieldog wrote: »
    In before the thread-lock.....
    Is ok. We're allowed to slag discuss MCD events again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Went down on Sunday. Was in that poxy Dance Shed for Fever Ray and it was pretty funny seeing the confused heads on all the scum. One lad turned to a mate of mine to ask when the beats were gonna kick in and we had to inform him that it was about as energetic as it was going to get. Great show ruined by ****e venue and the wrong crowd. Didnt see any other dance acts. The Specials were deadly as were Janes Addiction. Proper Rock Stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Think i picked the best day to go..which was friday.. havent been down to this festival for 3 years.. got day ticket and had a great day 1st act was the best for me i was 1 of the 1st into the dance arena to see tom middleton he was class only played for an hour but knew every tunes all remixes of songs that have been out recently and some old skool.. saw japenese popstars and then sedish hose mafia which i dont remem much of took a video's which helped the memory..:) only caught half of them as we went to blur which were good... all round had a great dayglad i just went friday cant stand the rain...roll on electric picnic......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ss-ss-ss

The dance acts at Oxegen this year were all amazing! Loved every second of it! Couldnt believe they closed the Dance arena at 12 on Sunday, last year is was banging till like 4 in the morning! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

eoin99 wrote: »

Yo you can listen to some of the sets for the next week on the 2fm website here:

http://2fm.rte.ie/pages/Oxegen09

Real FM wrote:
    Yo you can listen to some of the sets for the next week on the 2fm website here:

http://2fm.rte.ie/pages/Oxegen09

Christ, they really like to make sure people don't download those for personal use, shocking quality, and onky small parts of the sets :( 2manydjs mix sounds top quality though (tune wise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Didn't spend too long in the dance hall, full of scumbags. But saw MSTRKRF, Boys Noize and Tiga, all played good sets, was very happy. My favorite 3 of the weekend though were Blur, Crystal Castles and NIN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Only ventured into the Dance Hall for a bit, Calvin Harris on the main stage was animal and he done a brillaint version of Acceptable in the 80's, the place went mental, roll on Marley Park, cant wait

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Which mix was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Zascar wrote: »
    Which mix was it?

I dont know but here it is. You may find better quality versions being uploaded over the next day or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Griff77

Really enjoyed Oxegen to be honest, maybe it was only being down for the Saturday and Sunday but thought it was deadly. Better than last year but not as good as the Witnness days but I was new to festis then ;)

Was only in the Dance Arena for Tiga (who was great) and Miss Kitten & the Hacker who played good tunes but Miss Kitten singing over every track can get a bit wearing... Popped in a few other times but I felt the buzz and crowds were missing. I've spent many a festi just in the dance tent but had no urge this year due to this lack buzz and atmosphere... Would love if it was in a tent.

Other than that, The White Lies were unreal & so were The Virgins as were the Saturdays when you were at the front if you know what I mean :D

Dunno if I'll go back next year as I wasn't going this year except I won tickets but had no complaints about all the usual gripes we have with MCD. Just think I've finished with this festi as I have been going since the Witnness days and it's all about European festis and EP from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Edible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4-6t-H8KdA

anyone know the name of this song? Driving me crazy....

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Enjoyed Oxegen, but Saturday's weather was a real downer!

Was intending on spending more time in the dance than I did, but here's how I saw it.
    Missed Japanese Popstars, heard they were pretty good.
    Heard Crookers were really very good, but missed also.
    Pendulum - Nuts, after about fifteen minutes I had sweated through two tshirts. Yer man knows how to get the crowd going. Master of Puppets/Slam mix was animal!
    2 Many DJs were great, was front row, dissappointing buzz but it meant there was room to dance. The visuals were great and the lighting also. Felt like I was getting sunburnt! If you're familiar with all the radio soulwax mixes you'll know what to expect, seriously fun tracks mixed well.
    Missed DJ Philth, wanted to seem him cause he's such a nice guy, and his sets are always animal.
    Missed Lektroluv and Digitalism, fairly pissed about both, weather really screwed everything up.
    Was going to go see Boys Noize but I've seen him twice before, apparently the set was similar to the gig in the Academy but with a decent amount of fresh tracks. Glad to hear he didn't leave out Jeffer!
    Caught most of Bloody Beatroots and they were animal, really got the crowd going with some pumping tunes, and their stage antics.
    MSTRKRFT were great, very similar set to the academy gig, but I really didn't mind hearing that Benni Benassi/Queen finale. Maybe I was just getting tired, but I felt after the banging set by BB, MSTRKRFT were a bit of a come-down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Was in the dance arena all the way up the front for the majority of the weekend and didn't see a single spot of trouble. It was amazing.

Saw Japanese Popstars, Crookers, Bloody Beetroots, Boys Noize, Annie Mac, Digitalism, Felix da Housekat, Dr Lektroluv (Highlight) , Popof and each was as good as the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

*Asbestos suit on*

Is it possible that the posters who saw no scumbags there are, in fact, the scumbags that the other posters are complaining about?

:D

milltown wrote: »
    Is it possible that the posters who saw no scumbags there are, in fact, the scumbags that the other posters are complaining about?

:D
    It's more likely that the people that didn't see any scumbags are in fact the scumbags.

It's like the old saying that in every group of girls there's a slut, and if you can't think of who the slut is, well then it's probably you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's more likely that the people that didn't see any scumbags are in fact the scumbags.

Is that not what I said?? :confused:

Ah I posted it at 8.07
    I was still asleep

That Calvin Harris Mix sounds similar to the Tom Neville remix.

It's hardly a mix if he's playing it live himself.

I've know artists to play other people's remixes of their own songs. Justice playing the Soulwax remix of Phantom II in their live shows springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Anyone know where I can get my paws on some of the sets played!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Only saw three acts in the Dance arena, Fever Ray (Was up at the barrier, thought it was brilliant, security guards were seriously confused by them! :D), Bloody Beetroots (Absolutely brilliant set, great atmosphere) and MSTRKRFT (Complete disappointment, I expected much more from them, left half way through there set to go and get up the front for NIN).

Didnt think the scumbag presence was that bad really, only saw one proper fight (Which I helped diffuse), I don think Oxegen draws the wrong crowds, but that wasnt so apparent when I was in the dance arena (Had seen it earlier in the weekend at other bands).

Advertisement