Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Borders Blanchardstown Closing Down - 50% Off Everything!

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I dunno what you guys are buying. I called in there this morning and there was just scraps left. Nothing I wanted anyway. It occurred to me that some shops might have gone in and bought up whatever, be cheaper than wholesale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

BostonB wrote: »
    I dunno what you guys are buying. I called in there this morning and there was just scraps left. Nothing I wanted anyway. It occurred to me that some shops might have gone in and bought up whatever, be cheaper than wholesale.

Thought it looked like a pile of rubbish at first but I did manage to find some good stuff.....got some Darren Shan books for kids Christmas presents and a few other things.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Was in on Saturday, picked up 8 books. Four hardback, four softback, the marked price came to 133 plus change, got them for €8.

Shame the shop's gone though, I really liked Borders. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

blastman wrote: »
    Was in on Saturday, picked up 8 books. Four hardback, four softback, the marked price came to 133 plus change, got them for €8.

Shame the shop's gone though, I really liked Borders. :(

Yes it is a shame - pretty decent leaving gift from them though - thanks Borders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

I felt bad for the staff ,There was one girl busy packing the books into proper order as they were left in a bit of a mess by browsers, and then some obnoxious moron stops her and asks her in a berating manner(Just because he couldn't find books that he wanted probably) "why did you stock so much rubbish, no wonder they were going out of business...etc" and then walks off, and this was on her last day of her job :rolleyes::(

Great store and great staff who must have had a real tough time the last few days especially haveing to deal with people like that

I was fortunate to get many awesome books that interested me on Saturday even though it was the last day of a very long closing down sale ,and even a book recomended by "richard and judy" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

sxt wrote: »
    I felt bad for the staff ,There was one girl busy packing the books into proper order as they were left in a bit of a mess by browsers, and then some obnoxious moron stops her and asks her in a berating manner(Just because he couldn't find books that he wanted probably) "why did you stock so much rubbish, no wonder they were going out of business...etc" and then walks off, and this was on her last day of her job :rolleyes::(

Yikes.

No doubt someone who stepped into the store for the first time yesterday when he saw the '€1' signs.

Anyway, yeah, very sad it's gone. I was over in the starbucks in the main centre yesterday and it's dark and dinky by comparison. Same actually for easons et al too...Borders benefitted a lot from the space and the natural light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Space and natural light ain't cheap though.

I was talking to the girl behind the counter when I was being served, she was very nice and I wished her all the best (have been in her position and it isn't nice). Hopefully ar$eholes like the one sxt saw get their karma back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fantastic book shop. Sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Montallie

Yes, very sad about the closing-down. It was my venue every Monday since it opened: a few nice books and some refreshment at Costa (which I prefer to Starbucks). I got some terrific books at 50% off, 75% off and, finally, a ton of the €1 specials, some of which I'd been lusting after for weeks at full price but didn't feel justified in expending on.

Of all the book shops we've had in Dublin, I think it had the best range and the most unusual books. I love Chapters (in Parnell Street) also, but for me it's harder to get into town and do the parking thing. Hodges Figgis has its own charms, too, but for range and convenience I don't think we will see the like of Borders again (unless another Borders opens up).

When I got home after my final trip and sorted my books, I discovered a couple of books that I hadn't chosen had found their way into my basket (I hadn't checked at the till) and one or two I had been delighted to find had disappeared. Still, I'm not grumbling. I did very well out of the sale. As someone else said, thanks for the goodbye gift, Borders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement