Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Those Great Big Skies

• 13-07-2009 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

Since recently picking up a 10-20mm Sigma (Cheers Adrian:D) Ive become a little obsessed with Skyscapes.

I guess its a phase, but I just love the spectacularnesses of the skies when they are loaded with crazy clouds and interesting light , I find its hard no to go balistic on the post processing...:rolleyes:

Im a noob and not all that into getting too technical, just enjoy shooting away but Id be interested in any tips people may have or any pics people would like to share.

3715415768_0416f3b9c6.jpg?v=0
    Fried this one on the aul Lightroom

3715290722_bc7f2f2e40.jpg?v=0
    Went a bit heavy here on the darks:P but love the epicness

3714667931_9f1c132210.jpg?v=0
    Independence Day ! heh heh:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Nice.

Shooting more towards the 10mm end than the 20mm???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I love the 2nd one, & 3rd one's good too :)

I did the same when i bought the 10-20mm, I thought every photo would be improved if I just shot it with a super wide angle :)

Haven't used mine too much recently, but here is a favourite sky shot of mine: 8AB136035ED04E80843A7DF73667BD9A-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Cheers for the feedback and suggestion, again not being anyway technically savvy on the camera and perhaps its my imagination but I find the lesne definitely loses clarity at the 10mm end.....here's one of the same shots at 10mm with pretty much same PP (er fired to bejaysus I know)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trigger76/3714595349/

Very cool crispin, you have a lot of detail in there and the big epicness :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yeah, clouds can be mad to photograph ! can be interesting to process too....Nice ones there Trev M, Crispin ;)

As regards tips, I mess with the shadow/highlight slider in CS3 to bring out more dramatic-ness in the clouds/sky.
    Also consider a polarizer or filters.

Here's a fiery sky ! with mad clouds ! (which I must have another crack of processing :pac:)

87D1933FC59E470D9434585908B5AD9F-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

2nd one's my favourite!

Have you tried any HDR processing? - it does wonders with interesting skies! ;)

Hi Gary82 ,
    I had a look there at HDR on wiki there , looks like the results are/can be very impressive..... I just has a quick look at wiki , looks a little complicated, will look more into this technique when Ive a little time. Not sure if I have the right software yet though (LR2 and GIMP) Much obliged for the heads up!
    T

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My fav out of my recent shots
    20090607102600_img_7612pan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Not sure if I have the right software yet though (LR2 and GIMP)
    Google Photomatix, it does have a free trial, but unfortunatley it leaves 3 nasty watermarks (damn you watermarks !!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'm not too keen on #1 and the crop is too tight in #3, but #2 is just perfect. Thank for you sharing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

These are great, OP, and very nicely processed. The only thing I'd suggest is to crop the bottom of no. 1 so that the horizon sits one third into the frame.

With good skies like these, I don't think you need to go anywhere near HDR processing. You've exposed for the sky, and, while you may have lost foreground detail, that's not the focus of these shots. A dark foreground adds a nice bit of drama anyway. Just my opinion, of course.

Much obliged to everyone for the comments and suggestions. I downloaded Photomatix and have messed around with a single RAW image with different processed exposures with mixed results:rolleyes: (eh pretty rough tbh)/ I guess its the kinda thing ya have to work on.

I may get out tomorrow and take three seperate individual exposures and see how I fare? I'll have to manually adjust the exposure rate as I dont think my 450 D has the facility to fire off three successive shots at selected exposures if anyone know different please shout?

Thanks again for all the feeback ,
    Trev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I see you are using Lightroom, it might be worth your while having a look at LREnfuse, it wont give you those hyper contrasty unrealistic looking shots, but if you want something like the eye saw, its the bees knees, and very reasonable too (you decide what it's worth to you, make the donation then get the full version).

As for bracketing with your 450D it looks as if its possible, if you're doing it manually only change the shutter speed.

Ah brilliant nilhg , shutter speed makes sense of course thumbsup...tripod for the win too I guess
    Cheers for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Trev M wrote: »

I may get out tomorrow and take three seperate individual exposures and see how I fare? I'll have to manually adjust the exposure rate as I dont think my 450 D has the facility to fire off three successive shots at selected exposures if anyone know different please shout?

I use manual exposure and adjust shutter speed (make sure you keep aperture the same). make sure you have it on a tripod/beanbag so that when you adjust the exposure time you don't move the camera, saves the added complication of lining up your shots afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

you can set your 450d to aeb its very easy i have the 450d but aint used aeb yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Orlando evening

3721180061_0d0f3b1e6d_b.jpg

Tried my hand at a bit of HDR using Photomatix ....setting AEB on the 450D was very straight forward, I didnt sharpen the RAW images just fired them straight into the software and went from there.

It was a little late when I took a couple of shots so the light wasnt great but had a bash anyway....

3722128468_a1a84bc14a_o.jpg

Pretty maxed out on this one :p

3721316103_6915dc7386_o.jpg

Not so much on this one ..I think next time I try these I wont use as under an exposed image as I had used to compile these

Advertisement