Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borders in Blachardstown S.C closing down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

T-Maxx wrote: »
    +1

Also, if all of these avid readers bought these books at full price, maybe the shop would not have had to close down.

As quoted in the Bargains forum, and as staff told me and several other customers, Borders Blanchardstown was doing well, better than a lot of the other stores in the UK which aren't closing down. That's why it came as a shock. Borders was constantly busy for a shop of its size.

Part of the reason I queued was for books but also for some Paperchase photo albums I'd been buying at €20+, I stocked up at half price. Also got some good deals on DVDs. To be honest, the only things I bought because of the sale were cards (which are still expensive, even at half price).

If anyone is thinking of going to Borders in the next couple of days I would advise you to get there early, ie opening time. Leave the kids at home if you can, it's a nightmare for them. Try and get a basket, if not consider a shopping bag a la Superquinn/Tesco finest, the woven type that are easier on the hands. Bring a drink and wear light clothing. When I was there the queue started before the back wall ie around the poetry and religion section, snaked along the back wall, up the shop and several times around the front of the shop. The rear section (under Starbucks) was incredibly stuffy when I was queueing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Agree with many of the sentiments that if people had supported it before now it may not have had to close. Our most recent purchase there was a €30 book on Sunday Evening. We live closer to the city centre but always made the effort to drive to Blanch to actually support them.
    I arrived over yesterday and as I already knew where everything was even if I had a blindfold on. I picked up some recent books in a(mostly great reference stuff) which I had been looking at. Managed to get the DK visual guide to birds reduced from €45 to €18 :eek: I nearly bought it in Chapters afew months ago but was waiting for it to reduce!
    Took an hour an 20 minutes to reach the till though it was worth it. I did feel really bad for the staff and was chatting to one of the guys who I knew to see. He seemed to be pretty upset about the whole thing. If you are not prepared to queue and not into your books then I wouldn't bother. But the good books are flying of the shelves.
    If you can bring a friend and take it in turn to queue and browse!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 flame123

Damn .. just read about it closing now .... Ok, packing a lunch and heading over

Where will I meet friends now for a relaxing coffee..???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Rosita

athtrasna wrote: »

Bring a drink and wear light clothing.

This whole situation sounds nuts when it comes down to advice like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Suzannem

Went in yesterday around 2pm, left at around 4:30pm Spent €80 on books, cds & dvds (the ones i wanted)

Que's were long but worth the wait, I think it took about 20mins to reach the till.

Still lots of great books left

• Advertisement

PS Easons is the worst bookstore that I have ever come across

they need to redesign it, and make it comfortable to look at books. instead of cramped conditions.

The one on o'conell street is a big fat joke.

This all we have left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Hi there
    Anyone know what time Borders will open tomorrow (sun) morn??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

what2do wrote: »
    Hi there
    Anyone know what time Borders will open tomorrow (sun) morn??

Thanks
    here ya go. post 137.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619961&page=10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was in Borders yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. Queues were mad. They went back down to the end of the shop. I spotted a number of things I wanted and left. I wasn't going to spend a whole Sunday afternoon queueing.

I went back in today at 12.30. Picked up what I had been looking at and had to queue up for about 5 mins to pay for it.

Must say, that for about the first time in my life, I felt a bit queasy about bargain hunting there. I felt like a vulture feeding on the carcass of a dying animal, rather than the normal feeling I get, when I get something at 1/2 price. (Didn't stop me buying though).

Murt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Strange thing, but while I love books, I just couldnt be ar%ed queueing for ages just to get a cheap book.
    Even the possibilty of cutting our big school books bill isnt tempting me.

Guess I'm not good at waiting in line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭Rosita

Gaspode wrote: »
    Strange thing, but while I love books, I just couldnt be ar%ed queueing for ages just to get a cheap book.
    Even the possibilty of cutting our big school books bill isnt tempting me.

Guess I'm not good at waiting in line!

It's a funny thing, I am the same as you in that I love books but would have no interest in these queues.

Never has a week passed in the last 15 months or so when I haven't been in Borders at the very least once, but I haven't gone down there since I heard about these queues.

I really do not want to spend a fortune buying books/CDs/DVDs on the basis of price alone which is what would happen if I went. And I'd be quite happy to pay extra elsewhere without the queue for a book I did want.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Rosita wrote: »
    This whole situation sounds nuts when it comes down to advice like this.

+1 =]
    its all a bit mad if you ask me but I will be sad one of the great places to sit and read a book.. =[

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

No queue when i was there, then again there wasnt many books either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sheffgall

I would just like to say does anyone think of the staff at borders.
    Please dont ask staff is it half price the half price this makes no sense you are asking is it a quarter of the price.
    Please think of the staff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there sheffgall, but it made me think of this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

sheffgall wrote: »
    Please dont ask staff is it half price the half price this makes no sense you are asking is it a quarter of the price.

!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Been thinking of the staff ever since I found out. It's a terrible blow and I do sympathize with them loosing their jobs.
    Not alone that but the staff in Borders were a delight. They always had time for a chat and expressed an interest in the books you were buying.
    I really did feel awful on the queues and have not gone back since as it's too upsetting to see the shop being depleted of it's stock and areas closed off.

Sundew wrote: »
    Been thinking of the staff ever since I found out. It's a terrible blow and I do sympathize with them loosing their jobs.
    Not alone that but the staff in Borders were a delight. They always had time for a chat and expressed an interest in the books you were buying.
    I really did feel awful on the queues and have not gone back since as it's too upsetting to see the shop being depleted of it's stock and areas closed off.

The store will be closing on the 9th of august. I think ther may be more reductions.
    Thanks for thinking of the staff in this time of need.:o

athtrasna wrote: »
    As quoted in the Bargains forum, and as staff told me and several other customers, Borders Blanchardstown was doing well, better than a lot of the other stores in the UK which aren't closing down. That's why it came as a shock. Borders was constantly busy for a shop of its size.

Part of the reason I queued was for books but also for some Paperchase photo albums I'd been buying at €20+, I stocked up at half price. Also got some good deals on DVDs. To be honest, the only things I bought because of the sale were cards (which are still expensive, even at half price).

If anyone is thinking of going to Borders in the next couple of days I would advise you to get there early, ie opening time. Leave the kids at home if you can, it's a nightmare for them. Try and get a basket, if not consider a shopping bag a la Superquinn/Tesco finest, the woven type that are easier on the hands. Bring a drink and wear light clothing. When I was there the queue started before the back wall ie around the poetry and religion section, snaked along the back wall, up the shop and several times around the front of the shop. The rear section (under Starbucks) was incredibly stuffy when I was queueing.

All paperchase cards 1.00 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

The store will be closing on the 9th of august. I think ther may be more reductions.
    Thanks for thinking of the staff in this time of need.:o

Well no one wants them to lose their jobs. God only knows why it's closing and other stores in the UK who aren't doing well are closing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

does anyone know where there is a decent-ish book shop that we can head to now? :confused: Am pretty new to the area, only moved in a few days ago and had actually been looking forward to having a decent bookshop so close by, instead of having to go into Hodges Figgis in town. :(

d-a-s-h wrote: »
    does anyone know where there is a decent-ish book shop that we can head to now? :confused: Am pretty new to the area, only moved in a few days ago and had actually been looking forward to having a decent bookshop so close by, instead of having to go into Hodges Figgis in town. :(

Sorry, but I really dont think there are any decent bookshops around here now. Easons in B.Centre is nothing in comparasion to Borders or that small bookshop Books Unlimited, they both lack character and are not relaxing to be in....and then the limited stock of books is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Montallie

I find Chapters in Parnell Street excellent, especially the secondhand part upstairs, where you can find all sorts of books you never knew existed. I also like Hughes & Hughes in the Stephen's Green Shopping Centre (they have a good bargain basement) and, of course, Hodges Figgis, which has also got a permanent bargain basement as well as a good, solid selection of books in the rest of the store.

I find Easons in O'Connell Street the best of the Easons shops, which on the whole are rather generic, as are the Books Unlimited, Book Station shops which you can find in the smaller shopping malls. But the Easons in Nassau Street still seems to carry the specials that were in Reads' shop, which it took over some of years ago.

For me, the best bookshop in Ireland outside Dublin is Charlie Byrne's in Cork, but I can only go there about once a year. I believe there is an excellent book shop in Naas, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Huge shame all right. It was the only bookshop with a good range outside the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Club Demin is gone aswell and from Dundrum too. . .

Club denim? The nightclub?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm very disappointed that Borders is going. I won't be giving any other bookshop my business.

Blanchardstown Library from now on in. It's free and they have all the new books (and will order anything in for you if you request).

Plus all their dvds as well, I'm giving up Xtravision! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Though it's a small consolation, it may please some of you to hear that Starbucks is actually going to be reopening in the same space they occupied in Borders, except now above New Look. Same staff as before.

At least it's something...I far preferred that starbucks to the one in the main centre for all the natural light etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

LookingFor wrote: »
    Though it's a small consolation, it may please some of you to hear that Starbucks is actually going to be reopening in the same space they occupied in Borders, except now above New Look. Same staff as before.

At least it's something...I far preferred that starbucks to the one in the main centre for all the natural light etc.

Glad to hear that Starbucks is reopening.......sorry it is with the same staff tho.....out of all of the starbucks in d15 I found these staff to be the unfriendliest and they also regularly let the tables get very dirty......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Enii wrote: »
    Glad to hear that Starbucks is reopening.......sorry it is with the same staff tho.....out of all of the starbucks in d15 I found these staff to be the unfriendliest and they also regularly let the tables get very dirty......

I kind of agree about stuff building up on tables, but I found the staff to be actually very likeable and friendly relative to the other stores. Particularly the manager. But maybe that's just cos I was (very) regular there...

It was in fact one of said staff who was relocated to the main blanch store who told me about this today. Seemed delighted to be going back, I would too if working in that dark pokey place in the main centre!

Advertisement