Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn off heating if a window/door is opened?

Options
  • 13-07-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Currently have a CS350 alarm system, and a gas boiler. Is there any way to have a wire from the CS350 panel that that will control a relay of some sort to turn off the heating if a window/door is opened? Is there any signal that could be used off the alarm board to control that?

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

I'll have to add that to my fault finding diagnostics, is the window shut:D, but to answer your question most boilers come with a link on the the PCB which when broken heating goes off and when connected heating comes on, this is the point external controls get taken back to, you can make and break that link with any kind of a switch thats designed to do that job, i would say switching for a alarm wouldn't be designed to be used in that manor and to be honest as a heating technician if i came across a system wired in the way you suggest i wouldn't go near it, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

gary71 wrote: »
    I'll have to add that to my fault finding diagnostics, is the window shut:D, but to answer your question most boilers come with a link on the the PCB which when broken heating goes off and when connected heating comes on, this is the point external controls get taken back to, you can make and break that link with any kind of a switch thats designed to do that job, i would say switching for a alarm wouldn't be designed to be used in that manor and to be honest as a heating technician if i came across a system wired in the way you suggest i wouldn't go near it, Gary.

Well that would make the heating side straightforward; but I hoped that the idea of the alarm system controlling it was not a new idea. :( I'm open to updating the alarm panel.

Thanks,
    LK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I just had a look at a manual for a common Astec panel.
    It features a 'relay card' which can be used for external device control, but all of the options are for alarm conditions - ie- events which will cause the bell to ring, so that's no good to you.

I'd guess that some panels will do this. I seem to remember an older RF panel had this option on some zones.

Advertisement