Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommence Mortgage Interest Relief

Options
  • 13-07-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

I'd be interested to know how many people have still not had their mortgage interest relief recommence after filling in the online application as requested by the revenue? The mortgage is in my and my wifes name. We only received 1 letter from the revenue - against my wifes PPSN - and she filled in the form but haven't heard anything back since. Perhaps everyone is in the same situation but it would be good to know if other boards members are stuck in the same loop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I filled in the form a couple of weeks ago - have heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

I actually managed to get through to the enquiries number in the revenue and they confirmed they have notified by mortgage provider to recommence the relief on my top up loan.

Interestingly the original mortgage that I took out in August 2002 will not be recommenced for the final 3 months of interest relief payments that I felt I was due.

I won't be signficantly out of pocket but it raises a serious question and all first time buyers should consider it. The year you take out your mortgage is considered the 1st year by the revenue - it has no relation to the month in the year. This means that those that take out a mortgage in January get that whole year in interest relief paid, however those that take their mortgage out in Dec only have 1 mth relief for year 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

donnacha wrote: »
    The year you take out your mortgage is considered the 1st year by the revenue - it has no relation to the month in the year. This means that those that take out a mortgage in January get that whole year in interest relief paid, however those that take their mortgage out in Dec only have 1 mth relief for year 1.

Thats not fair! We bought our house in June so that means we are down 6months TRS.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it depends on how much interest you pay, i.e. if you pay 10,000/20,000 in the 6 months. But yes, tax is annual, not per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scorpion05

only heard recently that you have to request recommencement of your TRS from the Revenue website. https://www.revenue.ie/trs/recommence.jsp . when I called revenue on 1890 463 626 they said they process all requests in one monthly run on the 8th of every month. when the mortgage provider receives the file they have 4 weeks to implement. for myself i submitted recommencement on 14th July. Revenue will submit my details in the next run on 8th August so i should see the TRS in Sept/Oct. They also confirmed that the TRS is back dated to when the Govt. removed it. Anyway hope this info. helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement