Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me spec gaming upgrade for mate

Options
  • 13-07-2009 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

My mate is into his gaming and to now has been running a p4 system. Funds have been made available around the €1k mark with the potential to stretch it slightly if significant gains could be made.

The monitor, case(Antec P180), keyboard, mouse, hdd, dvd drive are all ok for now. He's convinced there's a soundcard problem (soundblaster live afaik) as he can't run ventrilo properly but I think it's a configuration problem. I've not had a chance to sit in front of it yet to check so I'm not sure.

So what's needed as far as I see it is:
    1. motherboard
    2. processor
    3. ram
    4. graphics card
    5. psu???

Am I missing anything?

Which way should I go for graphics, ATI or nVidia? I think it would be better to go with a single card for now allowing for a second to be added in the future?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Are you sure about the HDD? And where were you planning to buy from? HWVS is sometimes better for making your money go further... and there for a grand you could get an i7 build...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

He said he's happy enough with the hdd at the moment. I can't remember what size it is - I'll check with him tomorrow.

As for where I'm planning on buying - I'm open to anywhere really. I have recently purchased components for a media centre build myself. Planned on going with ebuyer as they were on equal footing with HWVS. Turned out the case I wanted was only available from Scan and, as some of the stuff was on offer, I went with them. Good service and great speed on delivery. I've used komplett in the past too but I don't think they offer the value they once did.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Depending on how old the HDD is it may cause more trouble then worth using it in the new computer. Is it SATA? If so then no bother really.

I bet you could squeez a good i7 build out of that budget. Since I know nothing about them I'll have to keep me trap shut though:pac:

I'm almost 100% sure it's SATA. I should remember, seeing as I spec'd the original machine but I'm not certain. If not then it's for the chop too but, like I said, I think it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement