Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

32" LCD €299.99

• 13-07-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭

It's a Walker TV. No mention of it anywhere else online, so probably a generic Chinese make. Still for the price you cannot go far wrong. Closest in price is the Philips 32PF3404 and it's no great telly in its own respect.

Here's the Walker:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-WP3210&pages=1∏=WP3210

No sign of contrast ratio but that's more down to Power City's (very, very) poor website layout. VGA in, 2 x HDMI. Worth €299.99? Methinks so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It really is a ropey website isn't it. Impossible to tell if it's any cop or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

You'll pay for what you get, pop into store to take a look before buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Keith186 wrote: »
    You'll pay for what you get, pop into store to take a look before buying.

I like to plan ahead. No website for Walker. Strange...

Anyone used these tellys before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Power City sell this brand, I got one of their dvd players a few years back, the GUI looked like any generic chinese producer but the thing fell apart after modest use so straight back to PC and stayed clear of their stuff since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I bought a new TV a couple of months ago to replace a ZX series tv I bought in Power City over 20 years ago. This was also a generic brand and never gave a minute's trouble from day one, I replaced it simply because it was too bulky to fit where I wanted it to go. It has a new home now and afaik is still going strong. It's very much the luck of the draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Keith186 wrote: »
    You'll pay for what you get
    They tend not to give you the TV otherwise.;);)

Woodgate wrote: »
    They tend not to give you the TV otherwise.;);)

Rrrrrrreally? :rolleyes:
    I think he meant usually: quantity of dosh equates to quality of product. Pay a little get a piece of poo, pay a lot and get a snazzy setup :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

AFAIK they're a turkish made tv.....

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

I got one for €330 a few months back.

No problems with it.

Walker used to be Mistsubishi Balck Diamond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gerbud wrote: »
    I got one for €330 a few months back.

No problems with it.

Walker used to be Mistsubishi Balck Diamond.
    Really? Bit of a bizarre business decision to change from that well known brand name to generic crap lie "Walker". They must have seen their sales take a nosedive, probably blamed it on the recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thargor wrote: »
    Really? Bit of a bizarre business decision to change from that well known brand name to generic crap lie "Walker". They must have seen their sales take a nosedive, probably blamed it on the recession.

Mistsubishi sold off the division, so they cannot use the name any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah right, coincidentally I just saw a 32" Beko in the N17 Euronics Brochure, no other details besides 2 X HDMI. Ive had a couple of Beko tvs before and they've always been great, those were CRTs though, never had a Beko flatscreen.

EDIT: Plus a very nice looking Philips 32" for €399

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭positron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭brosna

Play.com have a nice Toshiba Regza AV Series 32" 32AV615DB / HD Ready / Freeview / LCD TV for €428 with a free Toshiba SD-390 Upscaling DVD Player
    Free Delivery

More details on here.

//irishdeals.blogspot.com/2009/07/toshiba-32-lcd-tv-hd-ready-with-free.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

brosna wrote: »
    Play.com have a nice Toshiba Regza AV Series 32" 32AV615DB / HD Ready / Freeview / LCD TV for €428 with a free Toshiba SD-390 Upscaling DVD Player
    Free Delivery

More details on here.

//irishdeals.blogspot.com/2009/07/toshiba-32-lcd-tv-hd-ready-with-free.html

Last time i checked, play didn't ship electronics to ireland, has their policy changed recently?

Got the 32" Walker set for €299.99 yesterday in Power City. I'm very impressed with the picture and sound! You can control the backlight (a major niggle I have with LCDs) and for the price I think it's a steal. I think it's €330 again online but it'll probably drop back down on another weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

It's a grand telly. Bought it for a friend as a present and they've had no problems with it in the 2 months they've had it. Good picture quality.

Got the 32" Walker set for €299.99 yesterday in Power City. I'm very impressed with the picture and sound! You can control the backlight (a major niggle I have with LCDs) and for the price I think it's a steal. I think it's €330 again online but it'll probably drop back down on another weekend.

How about now!:D

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-WP3210&pages=1&prod=WP3210&brands=WALKER

Its 300€ again by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 forpaddyde

Worth paying an extra 100 and going for the full hd Samsung in CDiscount.ie ?

forpaddyde wrote: »

Personally, i would tbh:D:rolleyes:

Many wouldnt fancy going up to Dundalk for it though!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

forpaddyde wrote: »

Can you order online from CDiscount.ie?

Cheers,
    M

Cant order online yet, I think they're in the process of making a proper site, but it has been like that for the last month, or 2(or 3).
    No contact details either. Just sent an email to the UK site asking for some details.
    Will let ye know.

Thank you for your email.
    Unfortunately we do not have any contact or stock information about the Dundalk warehouse.
    Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Daniela
    Customer Services Team
    Cdiscount

hmm.

Just had a goggle at the specs in the manual.
    It accepts 24hz, 25hz and 30hz 1080p, so can handle full HD blu-ray playback minus that off putting judder effect of 24hz to 50hz translation.

Have the Xbox360 piped into it and it accepts 1080p through the component in, too.

Manual claims it has a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1200 via VGA input, but I think that they mean it accepts this resoluton and then downscales. Haven't tested it out yet, though.

It also has a handy HDMI Full setting, which basically eliminates overscan. So you get the full scope of the image vertically and horizontally.

That, along with the SPDIF coaxial out and optical out of any digital sound popped through it, subwoofer out, all very impressive for a budget telly.

(I don't work for Power City, I just love cheap tech:D)

Advertisement