Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations Speakers €300 Budget??

Options
  • 13-07-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hey. sorry if theirs been load of these threads already.

Recently sent back some active powered Tascam vl-a5s to Thomman for the second time in 6 months as they're Fecked and they’ve offered a refund thankfully. Before that had some Kams also Fooked after a short period so im not having much luck with speakers of late. Never were abused or turned up loud.....

I don’t produce/mix music beside the odd DJ mix on Abelton so these are simply for music enjoyment and to have them quite loud around the house while im working or whatever.

So maybe nearfields are out of the question. My budget is max 300 (I know not great) and I have no amp so they'll need to be active bi-amplified with xlr inputs to run off my RME soundcard.

I was thinking maybe getting something a bit more up to the task like the PA speakers, but also are very pricey even for one. (would I get away with one?)

I'd appreciate some recommendations of reliable. meaty speakers with great sound under budget and that thomann stock as that’s where my credit note is for.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/studio_monitors.html
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I had a pair of Alesis M1 Activ MKII monitors (catchy name!) which never gave me any trouble for five years, I sold them to a friend and they're still working.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/alesis_m1_aktiv_monitor_mk_ii.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Thanks for the recommendation. Seems to be a toss up between these few then. all similar price too, under 300. Hard to make a decision. On looks alone im leaning towards the Infrasonics Blow 5's. Quite nice and seem to have fairly good reviews but relatively new to the market and could be knackered within a year.
    decisions decisions

198827TANNOY REVEAL AKTIV 5A
    213149INFRASONIC BLOW 5
    192832FOSTEX PM-05 MKII
    217722KRK RP5 ROKIT G2 B-STOCK
    [font=&quot] 134027ALESIS M1 ACTIV MK2
    [/font] [font=&quot]207239MACKIE MR5

[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

from your needs description i'd go for the krk rp5s..

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

Yep, I'd go KRK, I had the Alesis M1 Active Mk2 and I found the low end just odd....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I don't know much about monitors but I was just looking at the specs for the krk's. It says the freq. response is 53hz-20khz. Obviously it doesn't just suddenly stop at 53hz but rather rolls off gradually. Does this mean that, say for instance, frequencies below 80hz won't be represented accurately because they will gradually be attenuated the closer they get to 53hz?

Would you need a subwoofer with these monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Much more complicated than that Anima !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Then explain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I'm not allowed to go Techy on this forum I'm afraid or I'll get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to go Techy on this forum I'm afraid or I'll get banned.
    Why would you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Anima wrote: »
    Then explain :pac:
    There's a lot to it. That's a big ask for a forum post. Try Wikipedia! And Sound On Sound website, search past articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Go with the KRK's I think from reviews I've read that they would be the best quality for the money.

Advertisement