Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick wine-related question

Options
  • 13-07-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Two months ago I drank two-thirds of a bottle of red wine, put the cork back in the bottle and put the bottle in the fridge. It's still there, and I was just wondering if it's drinkable?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Who puts red wine in the fridge. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Who puts red wine in the fridge. :eek:

At the time (when kinda drunk), I thought it might have been a way to make it keep for a bit longer. Silly, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

a lot of bottles say on the bottle.

e.g. "once opened drinking x amount of days"

personally i usually drink a bottle over a period of 4/5 days during the week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Melange wrote: »
    I was just wondering if it's drinkable?
    Why are you asking us? Taste it FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

BeerNut wrote: »
    Why are you asking us? Taste it FFS.

Just thought it might have been the case that it could taste alright, but be none too healthy. Look, I know nothing about wine.

I've decided I'll just give it a miss.

• Advertisement

but be none too healthy. Look, I know nothing about wine.
    It'll be as healthy as when it went into the bottle. There's nothing nasty that will live in concentrations of alcohol anywhere near that high.

Whether it tastes OK, only you can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Oh go on, try it! Now we all want to know what the story is....... :P

Prenderb wrote: »
    Now we all want to know what the story is
    My guess is something along the lines of:
    "Once upon a time there was a third of a bottle of vinegar..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Three Days- stored in the fridge with the cork on is usually the max time you have to drink red wine (obviously bring back to room temp before drinking)- after that, it will continue to oxidise to the point of being either undrinkable or at least not the wine you originally purchased, with a certain unpleasant taste-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Two months ago I drank two-thirds of a bottle of red wine, put the cork back in the bottle and put the bottle in the fridge. It's still there, and I was just wondering if it's drinkable?
    It will taste nasty, it will be mainly sour. Any fruit on the palate will have disappeared weeks ago. As a rule you shouldn't put red wine in the fridge, unless its Beaujolais (France) or the odd Pinot Noir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Firstly to defend you from the first attacks!! Yes you can put it in the fridge, and this includes reds. In other countries like spain they keep all their red in the fridge and drink it cold.. Strange to me but I guess they do have 40 degree heat..

Anyways its more preferrable to put screw cap in the fridge rather than cork. And it is usually to be consumed within the week. First of all there is air in the bottle, too much of it. Secondly you put a cork in it which will be like a sponge for odour, and thirdly no bottle is that good you'd want to drink the dregs months later, buy an new one!!!

The only way to preserve wine is with an air extraxtion unit, and this really only buys you a week or so. After that the wine starts to break down and wont taste like the wine maker had intended.

It might be ok for cooking though??? Even though that is a hot topic too. Wine in cooking that is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Two months ago? Pour it down the sink.

I often chill red wines a little, and not just the lighter ones. I think they can taste fresher.

I would be drinking up within 3-4 days (tops) of opening something. If you don't feel like polishing off the bottle, transfer the wine to a suitable container and freeze it for stock / sauce etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think the idea of putting a red wine in the fridge is to preserve it longer rather than chill it.
    I suspect it would prolong the drinkable life of it.

I find most Irish people tend to over chill white wine (it has no flavour when it's too cold)
    and often drink reds too warm - restaurants regularly serve luke warm red wines! A light pinot should be lightly chilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

FusionNet wrote: »
    First of all there is air in the bottle, too much of it.
    Aha, makes sense, I was going to ask how homebrew wine is OK after such a time when it is brewed and capped/corked
    FusionNet wrote: »
    The only way to preserve wine is with an air extraxtion unit, and this really only buys you a week or so.
    Or could you pour it into a smaller bottle, like those small glass mixer bottles, so very little air is left, also takes up less space in the fridge.
    rediguana wrote: »
    transfer the wine to a suitable container and freeze it for stock / sauce etc.
    You could use icecube bags so you have small portions that will not contaminate a plastic ice cube tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

You are absolutely right to ask the question and you're absolutely right about putting red wine in the fridge - although generally drink within 2 days if possible. Watch this video if you want tips on storing wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

It will have become oxidised within a week of opening and will taste horrible. Chuck it out and buy a fresh bottle you cheapskate ;):D

Advertisement