Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bottle of whiskey budget 50e

• 13-07-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I generally drink teachers I'm looking for a bit of a change.

budget around 50e can anyone recommend a nice tipple?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Green Spot -- nice, honeyish, pure pot still Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Try Redbreast 12 year old. Real smooth and Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I'd agree with the above two.

Also, Powers 12, Jameson 12 or Tyrconnell 10 Madiera Cask.

Lots of scotches too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I would recommend Jameson Crested Ten. A 10 year old whiskey for around €26, so it won't leave a hole in your pocket. Its the equal of many of the other more expensive 10 year olds. Good sherry character, good pot-still backbone and a nice nutty finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'll be frowned upon here for not suggesting Irish but you'd get a Talisker 10YO for 50 bucks.

I'm starting to accept the fact that I just prefer good Scotch to Irish!
    While I like Green Spot and Red Breast, I just find more depth in Scotch.

Ardbeg 10yo for an antiseptic buzz (if that's your thing - I like)
    Bowmore 12yo is a bit more approachable

but I keep returning to the Talisker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Screw buying only Irish. Good whiskey is good whiskey.

If you look around, you should be able to find Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for about €50 (It retails a bit closer to €60-70 in Dublin, as I recall). Matured in port casks, very nice flavour to it, my current favourite when I go to the pub.

Sarky wrote: »
    Screw buying only Irish. Good whiskey is good whiskey.

If you look around, you should be able to find Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for about €50 (It retails a bit closer to €60-70 in Dublin, as I recall). Matured in port casks, very nice flavour to it, my current favourite when I go to the pub.

Jaysus, what pub do you go to??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

If you can find it try get a bottle of Glenkinchie.

I think an off license in donnybrook stocks it. think it retails around the €40-50 mark.

I'll be frowned upon here for not suggesting Irish but you'd get a Talisker 10YO for 50 bucks.

but I keep returning to the Talisker!

Nothing wrong with prefering scotch to Irish. And Talisker is excellent.

Irish is just different, that's all.

Highland Park 12 is also a good one.

By the way, Crested Ten is not a 10-year-old. Don't mean to split hairs, as it doesn't matter anyway. A good whiskey is a good whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

You'd get a bottle of normal strength (40%) 10-year old Laphroaig for under €50. It's one of the more flavoursome, distinctive Scotch Whisky's, but its great for sipping slowly. So many flavours coming of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jaysus, what pub do you go to??

Pubs that stock drinks I like. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

would have to go for the Greenspot too - following that the Powers 12 yr old

Brockagh wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with prefering scotch to Irish. And Talisker is excellent.

Irish is just different, that's all.

Highland Park 12 is also a good one.

By the way, Crested Ten is not a 10-year-old. Don't mean to split hairs, as it doesn't matter anyway. A good whiskey is a good whiskey.

Oh, I find Highland park smooth but dull!
    I've an awful habit of 'getting' a whisk(e)y during the very last shot in the bottle. Psychological, I know. Happened me with the last drop of Green Spot the other night! It suddenly seemed to 'happen' for me!

Generally,though, I find Irish a bit too subtle for my crude taste!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Another vote for highland park 12, probably the best in this proce bracket and cheaper again if you go up north...Bowmore 15 year old also very good....Glenlivet 15 is good also but sweeter than the others mentioned.
    Can't argue with Red Brest from the irish ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

Edradour single malt whisky. Got a taste for it when I took a tour of its distillery Scotland's smallest (legal) distillery as it turned out. Even though they slagged off Irish whiskEy I still enjoy the odd tipple. Approx €50 from O'Briens and a lovely dram indeed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Red breast 12 is a great whiskey if you like a strong taste, bushmills 10 for a smoother but blander whiskey. Both at c. €35 (red breast 12 is €35 in o'briens and often €31.50, but is €45-50 in other places). Greenspot is a good whiskey as is greenore 8.

Of the few Whiskys I'll touch, I have to say Talisker is the nicest. It's a spicy one though.

It's good to flirt with the Scotchs, but you'll always come back to a drop of the pure.

donaghs wrote: »
    You'd get a bottle of normal strength (40%) 10-year old Laphroaig for under €50. It's one of the more flavoursome, distinctive Scotch Whisky's, but its great for sipping slowly. So many flavours coming of it.

The predominant one is peat smoke / TCP. It's a hard drink to get used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

ntlbell wrote: »
    I generally drink teachers I'm looking for a bit of a change.

budget around 50e can anyone recommend a nice tipple?

The Tyrconnel 10yo Madeira finish is on offer below for just a little over your budget @ E59.99 (reduced from E75)

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/asp/product.asp?objectid=1083&mode=0&recordid=1430&t=411040465

Powers 12yo is a great drop and is regularily on offer in Dunnes etc. for E35-ish

Also if you get a chance Greenspot is E34 in Harvest in Galway compared to E45 in Dublin.

That's a very nice one too. There are other Tyrconnell finishes, but that's the nicest one, in my opinion.

Knappogue Castle 1995 just won an award in America, the FDR award. It's basically a Bushmills - 13 years old, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭macdave

been getting my way around some whiskey lately.

loved jameson crested 10, great sherry nose couldnt stop smelling the bottle.
    liked red breast too, stronger spicier flavour.
    famous grouse was nice too, drinking partner said it was a bit coarse.

at the moment im trying out whyte and mackay only € 20 in dunnes. really liking it for the price. student you see.

so keep going with the suggestions. this thread is perfect for my budget.

Advertisement