Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortage Payment Freeze on House Sale?

Options
  • 13-07-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Is it possible - or wise - to freeze mortgage payments when a seller goes 'Sale Agreed' on a house?
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You mean is it wise for the seller to stop paying mortgage? If so, not at all. Many sales go "Sale Agreed", many again fall through when the buyer can't get teh funds they thought they could from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

irlrobins wrote: »
    You mean is it wise for the seller to stop paying mortgage? If so, not at all. Many sales go "Sale Agreed", many again fall through when the buyer can't get teh funds they thought they could from the bank.
    Thanks.
    I don't mean just not pay the mortgage.
    I mean can the bank allow for a freeze of payments for a few weeks/months?
    Like a mortgage break?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

mathie wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I don't mean just not pay the mortgage.
    I mean can the bank allow for a freeze of payments for a few weeks/months?
    Like a mortgage break?

Its not standard. You can approach your lender at any stage to discuss a payment holiday- what happens is the interest is incremented onto the principle for the term proposed. You need to talk to your lender though- transactions such as you're proposing would be considered irregular- thats not to say that they'd not agree to it- simply that they would need to assess it on its individual merits.

Advertisement