Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme amount of difficulty finding a place

Options
  • 13-07-2009 9:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just got a new job in Cherrywoood, so I moved here from the UK.

Ive been on numerous websites including daft.ie, let.ie and many more for the last few weeks and I need to leave my hotel on Friday morning - and am looking for something to actually move into on Friday.

I have been actively looking and emailing and calling for weeks and hardly anyone gets back to me.

Are landlords around here so against pets? Is that it? I have a 2 year old Dalmatian - maybe that puts them off.

Maybe its a combination of the fact that i need a 2 or 3 bedroom house with a garden for my kids, thats furnished (as it would cost far too much to ship our stuff from UK) and the dog.

He's a great dog proper member of the family - has grown up with my kids, love him to bits!

I don't understand what people think hes going to do to the properties but I guess when dogs are not looked after and not trained properly they could have done damage to places and some landlords may have had bad experiences.

Is it too much to ask for them not to disqualify me straight away and at least meet up and let me see the property and assess what sort of person I am first before they assume my dog's gonna chew their walls and **** in their toaster?

Im sitting here not knowing what else to do - genuinly saddenned because Im here on my own in a hotel - and my familys coming on Saturday and we've got no where to go.

If something doesn't happen in the next few days i dunnno what Im going to do.

Sorry for ranting guys but - stress man . . wow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Part of your problem is the dog. The area you are looking in has a huge percentage of new builds/managed/high density developments. Dogs are a big no-no in any high density development and are explicitly banned in most.

Have you tried looking a bit further out, Bray/Shankill are a handy commute and would have more houses with gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.daft.ie/2746879 - €1,200 a month, Pets allowed, in Bray, 3 bedroom, about 6 minutes drive to the train station.

http://www.daft.ie/2727736 - €3,250 a month, pets allowed, in Blackrock. Stupid money, though. €3,250???

http://www.daft.ie/2698208 - €1,600, pets allowed, in Shankill. No photo of the house itself in the ad, but I located the property, and from above, the houses don't look that bad. The big open space nearby also looks nice, both for the dog, and for the kids.

The last house I linked to was a 4 bedroom house, so you may have missed it whilst looking for 3 bedroom houses. There should be a "at lest 3 bedrooms" option, to be honest.

Oh, and you have a two year old DOG. That's all they really need to know, unless they ask, to avoid them mixing up the word "Dalmatian" with "big dog that will get hairs everywhere" :P

=-=

Google doesn't tell me where Cherrywood is. Post a link to it using maps.bing.com, so that I can find houses near it. I'm guessing that the last property I posted is right down the road from it? If it is, cool. If not, give me that link, yeah?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

the_syco- nice finds!

OP- totally aside from the nature of most recently built property in the area- very many landlords are actively against the notion of letting to a tenant with a dog. As alluded to above- you will need to be careful about how you put it.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

you are using the 'pets allowed' search function in Daft, aren't you? It's under advanced search.

I was looking this time last year for a 3 bed place with pets allowed (2 dachshunds) and had a hell of a time. There were only 60 places listed in all of Dublin, stretching from Balbriggan to Greystones. Still found a lovely place though. Now there are over 400 that explicitly allow pets. Shouldn't be that tough but you maynot get your ideal location or place.

I know what you mean about people not getting back to you...seems to be an Irish thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

www.daft.ie/2649912

Edenwood is right beside the 84 and 84x bus routes which stop at Cherrywood, and Greystones is a good area for kids, and there's plenty of beaches, forests etc nearby for walking the dog. Only proviso with this estate is you would need a car, its about 2km from Greystones village (though there are shops within walking distance).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

the_syco wrote: »
    Oh, and you have a two year old DOG. That's all they really need to know, unless they ask, to avoid them mixing up the word "Dalmatian" with "big dog that will get hairs everywhere" :P

I completely agree. That's why I rent with my 2 spaniels, not my 2 springer spaniels.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Personally I wouldn't mention the dog in my first email. Once I get a reply from the original email seeking a viewing then I would mention it - once they are speaking to you it's harder for them to just say no/ignore you, especially if you are talking in person or by phone rather than via email and it's being done privately.

side note - agents in Ireland (Dublin?) are rubbish, just moved rented house and in most cases I would have to chase the agent to set up a viewing even for places which a month later are still on the market. No reason to ignore me, I have no pets :) a reliable job, excellent references etc.

best of luck with your search btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

OP, you could also try Knocklyon & Firhouse as possible areas to rent. Right on the M50, easy commute to Cherrywood. I live in Knocklyon, lovely area for families.
    As regards your dog, you might have better luck with adverts created by landlords themselves as opposed to letting agents. These ads would have a contact name & mobile number.
    Best of luck anyway

Advertisement