Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a 08 ish crew cab commercial

• 13-07-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

A pal of mine is here deliberating over which crew cab is best as a replacement for a 4x4 thats just given up the ghost.

It'll be carrying passengers obviously, but will be working in offroad conditions a lot too. Comfort for the people in the back is important as is the torque.

Budget is around 20k, hopefully with low milage and good interior.

At the moment we've looked at the Isuzu DMax, Nissan Navarra, and the Toyota Hilux.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There aren't many 08 double cab Hiluxes for 20k inc VAT, despite the auction stories that do the rounds. I've seen 2007 2.5 models that were sold within the trade (very recently) for more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The DMax seems to be the front runner at the moment. I saw one on carzone earlier that fits the bill. It just looks a bit... P Diddy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Just dont buy the 2.5, they are seriously underpowered.

3l is a nice bit of kit, comes with an LSD as standard and if you avoid the bling bling ones is not a bad looking jeep.

Watch out for the newer ones, an registered after 08 will have uprated rear springs and shocks to get round VRT laws and give it a GVW of 3500kg. This leaves the ride a little hard.
    The Koni shocks are adjustable and the extra leaf in the springs wouldnt be too hard to take out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Slidey wrote: »
    Just dont buy the 2.5, they are seriously underpowered.

3l is a nice bit of kit, comes with an LSD as standard and if you avoid the bling bling ones is not a bad looking jeep.

Watch out for the newer ones, an registered after 08 will have uprated rear springs and shocks to get round VRT laws and give it a GVW of 3500kg. This leaves the ride a little hard.
    The Koni shocks are adjustable and the extra leaf in the springs wouldnt be too hard to take out ;)

hi slidey , just a question i have a few buddys that bought hiluxs in the last few months they all went for the 2.5 as the 3l is thirsty ?

also what is the vrt on the 08+ ones many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Trotter wrote: »
    The DMax seems to be the front runner at the moment. I saw one on carzone earlier that fits the bill. It just looks a bit... P Diddy..

D Max is a ball a sh1te...I test drove one and you'd be better with an auld massey 165 and a link box for the passengers. Its hard on juice, turning circle is bad, comfort is none and is known to give trouble.

I would rate 08 crew cabs in this order...

1. L200
    2. Hilux
    3. Navara
    4. Ranger
    5. DMax

Now thats my opinion, I have driven them all and thought long and hard before I bought.

If you go for a top spec L200, she has 160bhp, 2.5 litre engine that does 34/35mpg, only the hilux is certified to pull more than her but I've had over 4 ton behind mine without a problem, off road is not a problem with hi and low 4 wheel drive, diff lock and selectable traction control. Comfort is as good as you'll get for a crew cab, lots of cab space too. You also have all the toys, electrics, leather, cruise control, built in sat nav, mp3, 10 disk changer, bluetooth etc as standard. I've about 15k miles up on mine now and not one problem, I also got 3 years free service when I bought. Plus its the best looking machine of the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Farls wrote: »
    is known to give trouble.
    Just one point:

I have seen virtually no warranty work done on the dmax.

There as a recall on an intercooler bracket in the first ones and I saw an automatic come back a few times with a kick down issue but that is the height of it.

Jaysus a mate of mine at home bought a new one in 06 and he's forever cursing it up and down from simple things going on it like bits falling off the dash, window motor giving up, starter went on it...lots and lots of stupid things that shouldn't be giving up. He has got rid of it since for a nicer hilux though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Farls wrote: »
    Its hard on juice, turning circle is bad, comfort is none

You could say that about any crew cab. Personally, I'd be looking at one with a bigger engine, e.g. a 3.0 Hi-Lux or D-Max. I think the new L200 is available with the 3.2 engine. If it is, they'd be an excellent towing machine.

You could say that about any crew cab. Personally, I'd be looking at one with a bigger engine, e.g. a 3.0 Hi-Lux or D-Max. I think the new L200 is available with the 3.2 engine. If it is, they'd be an excellent towing machine.

The thing is though that some are a lot better at both than others. The 2.5 top spec L200 has a power booster that brings it up to near enough the same power as the 3.0 litre Hilux so there is damn all gains.

You can get the L200 in 3.2 but its a thai import and comes with its own problems.

Advertisement