Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey:).in simple english how do i get my eircom working please?

Options
  • 13-07-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    May i ask the techies here how i can get my eircom working?using a wireless laptop with a grey neptopia internet box thing,its been not connecting to the internet a few times this week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

theres 2 ways

firstly

change you dns server to open dns, you can leave it on these for as long as ya like and they never have trouble like eircom does

eircoms gone **** the last week

the servers needed are 208.67.222.222 for the top row and for the bottom row 208.67.220.220

xp users instructions

1. Select Control Panel from the Start menu.
    2. Click Network Connections from the Control Panel choices.
    3. Choose your connection from the Network Connections window.
    4. Click Properties button.
    5. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.
    6. Click the radio button Use the following DNS server addresses and type in OpenDNS addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server fields.

vista/windows 7 users instructions

1. Click the Start Orb, then select Control Panel.
    2. Click on View network status and tasks.
    3. Click on View status.
    4. Click the Properties button.
    5. Vista may ask for your permission to make changes. If so, click the Continue button.
    6. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click the Properties button.
    7. Click the radio button Use the following DNS server addresses: and type in OpenDNS addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server fields.
    8. Click the OK button, then the Close button, and the Close button again. Close the Network and Sharing Center window.

or you can do it this way

go to

http://192.168.1.254/

then click expert mode, it should say warning bla bla bla click yes enter expert mode

then on the left click config then connection change the primary dns serverfrom 0.0.0.0 to 208.67.222.222 and the secondary dns server from 0.0.0.0 to 208.67.220.220

then click save and restart connection (its at the bottom of the screen)

and thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

or GO HERE for a more detailed explanation of the proceedure to change your router as per end of dazdrogs post above:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055608998&page=27

Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Where are these servers from? Anything to do with Eircom whatsoever? The new ones we enter I mean? Is it secured?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

its basicly the same as whats above, all the ways in both this topic and the other will help :D

EDIT

nope its nothing to do with eircom, and you are allowed to change to what ever dns server you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

thanks!keep the advice coming for us with no i.t skills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

think of it as the computer equivalent of 11811, you're just telling your computer to look up ip addresses of the websites you visit from a different directory provider.

http://www.opendns.com/ has loads of information about why this is a good thing and what they can do for you.

BUT bear in mind, although they are secure, they are known to use peoples internet browsing habits (anonymously, no personal information is ever given out) to potential advertisers and companies with an interest in what sites are popular and various internet trends, so you are helping them make money whilst they are helping you, so if you feel at all funny about that, you might want to cosider level3 instead, who have dns servers at 4.2.2.1 all the way to 4.2.2.6 so any two or three of those will do just fine too although for some reason they don't seem to work so well for me on the PS3, so I use opendns on that still (entered manually). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mysticalrose

You also saved me from putting a boot into an innocent screen.

Advertisement