Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow motion bubble bursting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Very nice seen them in most of the papers today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I was having a look at those earlier, they're amazing!
    I was also geekishly delighted with the reflections on the bubble in the second one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

One of the middle ones was printed in a sydney paper the other day,
    and I did briefly think, "FFS, it's a photo. it can't be slow motion."
    although now seeing thats its a series, it fits a little better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Wow, that's amazing!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Stunning shots, well impressed.
    Richard Heeks is the tog, he's on Flickr and the bubble photos are there.

From one exif:
    Camera:         Nikon D90
    Exposure:       0.002 sec (1/500)
    Aperture:       f/5.0
    Focal Length:   70 mm
    ISO Speed:      800
    Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV
    Flash:          No Flash

I wonder is it possible for a regular slr to capture all of these stages of a single bubble bursting, is the D90 burst mode :D fast enough?

On Richards shots the exif timestamps from 4 seemingly consecutive shots span several minutes, he talks about it at length, seems the media headlines are misleading.

Kudos to him in any event, talk about spreading the joy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

democrates wrote: »

On Richards shots the exif timestamps from 4 seemingly consecutive shots span several minutes, he talks about it at length, seems the media headlines are misleading.

Kudos to him in any event, talk about spreading the joy! :)

Well spotted!

Incredible shots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I wonder if he was able to rig up something that produced identical bubbles, so then he would be able to get a sequence. I say this as the bubbles do look the same but the finger is in different positions on each shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

CabanSail wrote: »
    I wonder if he was able to rig up something that produced identical bubbles, so then he would be able to get a sequence. I say this as the bubbles do look the same but the finger is in different positions on each shot.
    I bet he had a very clever apparatus indeed - his significant other.
    The reflections show him with both hands on the camera, I'd guess she'd blow a bubble, he starts tracking, then it's all about the timing so on three he shoots and she bursts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Very interesting photos, looks like a challenge me thinks!

Advertisement