Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen remodel in garage extension..Help?

Options
  • 13-07-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a bit stuck on a couple of points to do with remodelling my kitchen.
    The kitchen is in a converted flat roof garage that gets colder than a well diggers ass during winter. Any ideas on the best way to insulate. Some ideas are:
    1. Open up the ceiling and stuff it with rockwool. Would this block air flowing through the ceiling and cause wood rot?
    2. I think there are some tiles you can put on top of the roof to insulate. Has anyone done this?
    3. Insulated plasterboard on the exterior wall. The kitchen is 7.6mtrs long and the presses and cabinets will cover about 5mtrs of that. Will it make much of a difference?

There is old plasterboard in the section of the kitchen that used to be the utility room years ago. It's in very bad shape with holes and marks. Its not easy to take down as it was put on with cement dabs. Can I put plasterboard directly over the old stuff, don't mind loosing the few mill. How would I hang it on the old plasterboard if I don't have wooden batons to fix into.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Adam anto wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a bit stuck on a couple of points to do with remodelling my kitchen.
    The kitchen is in a converted flat roof garage that gets colder than a well diggers ass during winter. Any ideas on the best way to insulate. Some ideas are:
    1. Open up the ceiling and stuff it with rockwool. Would this block air flowing through the ceiling and cause wood rot?
    2. I think there are some tiles you can put on top of the roof to insulate. Has anyone done this?
    3. Insulated plasterboard on the exterior wall. The kitchen is 7.6mtrs long and the presses and cabinets will cover about 5mtrs of that. Will it make much of a difference?

There is old plasterboard in the section of the kitchen that used to be the utility room years ago. It's in very bad shape with holes and marks. Its not easy to take down as it was put on with cement dabs. Can I put plasterboard directly over the old stuff, don't mind loosing the few mill. How would I hang it on the old plasterboard if I don't have wooden batons to fix into.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Anto

Could you not just skim over the bad bits of the existing plasterboard and then cover it with lining paper? Easier than trying to stick new board over old?

Insulating the exteriar wall would be bound to help, but the roof would be the greater source of heat loss. Rockwool is fibrous and so wouldn't stop air circulation completely, but uninsulated flat roofs don't generally have sufficient depth to get much insulation in. But as Mr. Tesco says, evey little helps;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ART6 wrote: »
    Could you not just skim over the bad bits of the existing plasterboard and then cover it with lining paper? Easier than trying to stick new board over old?

Insulating the exteriar wall would be bound to help, but the roof would be the greater source of heat loss. Rockwool is fibrous and so wouldn't stop air circulation completely, but uninsulated flat roofs don't generally have sufficient depth to get much insulation in. But as Mr. Tesco says, evey little helps;)

Maybe insulated slabs on the ceiling? (over existing plasterboard?)

Maybe insulated slabs on the ceiling? (over existing plasterboard?)

Quite! Or even a suspended ceiling if you have the height?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

ART6 wrote: »

The old plasterboard is beyond skimming, too many holes and generally very bad condition. The only consolation is that it's still pretty straight hence the idea for slabbing over..

The flat roof has a void of 160mm. There seems to be a layer of 1 inch thick polystyrene directly above the ceiling and then a gap..

The ceiling is very low as it stands so can't go any lower :-(

If I was to slab over the existing plasterboard, any ideas how I would hang it?

Thanks for the advice guys.. keep it coming :-)

Replaced the old fuseboard today.. My sockets are now RCD protected, me happy..

The old plasterboard is beyond skimming, too many holes and generally very bad condition. The only consolation is that it's still pretty straight hence the idea for slabbing over..

The flat roof has a void of 160mm. There seems to be a layer of 1 inch thick polystyrene directly above the ceiling and then a gap..

The ceiling is very low as it stands so can't go any lower :-(

If I was to slab over the existing plasterboard, any ideas how I would hang it?

Thanks for the advice guys.. keep it coming :-)

Replaced the old fuseboard today.. My sockets are now RCD protected, me happy..

You could stick the new boards in place with "Insta Stik" polyurethane foam, but I don't know who sells it. Alternatively dry wall adhesive sold by most builders suppliers. Once you place the boards you will still need to scrim the joints and skim them level with the main faces.

If the ceiling has expanded polystyrene over it I would be very wary of that in a kitchen as in the event of a fire it will burn and drip burning molten plastic while releasing toxic fumes. Rockwool is fibregalss and doesn't burn, and 160 mm would make a significant difference to your heat loss.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply..

Never thought about the polystyrene that way. Hot dripping plastic and toxic fumes are a worry now.. Does this mean pulling down the whole ceiling to get that stuff out?? Safety first, my sanity comes second!!

Going to try the adhesive you mentioned for the plasterboard, seems a good way to go..

Thanks again for the advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

take down your ceiling and get rid of that polystyrene, use kingspan 70mm rigid insulation between joists and then slab with foil backed 15mm board direct to joists.
    Should gain you 25mm in ceiling height.

Outside walls reslab with insulated boards.

Tape and joint cheaper than skimming and if done well perfectly good.

I know it's a pain but remove the old slabs, chisel the dabs off the wall and reslab. will be worth it!

Next bit VERY important.

Use any means necessary to gather 2 - 3 ablebodied pals together for a day to help. No shame in subterfuge or bribery, the former being the cheaper option.;)

Thanks for the reply slavetothegrind.

I don't think I'm in a position to do all you have suggested. I know what you say is right though..

Would I be right in saying that the ceiling would be the most important one for heat loss? That is what I'm going to concentrate on (I think). Is the rigid kingspan the type that comes in sheets about 1000mmX500mm ish... Would I cut that slightly bigger than the gap between the joists and squeeze it in to hold it there?

The problem with taking the old (dabbed on) plasterboard off is that there is a central heating boiler on that wall that's going nowhere..

The other big factor in what I'm doing is that baby number 1 is on the way so I have to:
    a) Get this done before maternity leave starts (Sept 4th)
    b) Maintain a working kitchen for the one who is eating for two!!!!

Do you think the ceiling is the most important part to concentrate on?

Thanks again,

A

Thanks for the reply slavetothegrind.

I don't think I'm in a position to do all you have suggested. I know what you say is right though..

Would I be right in saying that the ceiling would be the most important one for heat loss? That is what I'm going to concentrate on (I think). Is the rigid kingspan the type that comes in sheets about 1000mmX500mm ish... Would I cut that slightly bigger than the gap between the joists and squeeze it in to hold it there?

The problem with taking the old (dabbed on) plasterboard off is that there is a central heating boiler on that wall that's going nowhere..

The other big factor in what I'm doing is that baby number 1 is on the way so I have to:
    a) Get this done before maternity leave starts (Sept 4th)
    b) Maintain a working kitchen for the one who is eating for two!!!!

Do you think the ceiling is the most important part to concentrate on?

Thanks again,

A

Given the urgency I would concentrate on the ceiling, and particularly getting rid of the polystyrene if you will have a baby in the house. The ceiling is where most of the heat loss will be unless the external wall is only single block (ie not cavity).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

what art said. Get rid of the polystyrene and while you are at it stick in mains powered smoke detectors if you haven't already.

Safety first always!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice. The ceiling is what I'm going to get done and the rest will follow at a later stage.

Would have been very unsure what to do if it wasn't for the helpful people here.

You're all on the Christmas card list :-)

Anto

Might need more help as I go, but I'll do my best to figure it out first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patrickmaran

Have you taken any help from a Home contractor if not then you should otherwise you can take online help for which you can refer to http://www.wagsocial.com/
    site which is made for this purpose :D:D

Advertisement