Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router setup

Options
  • 13-07-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

With all the DNS problems that have been around recently, I changed my DNS servers to OpenDNS recently at home. My parents' connection was the same, so I naturally tried to sort them out.There's a Netopia 3347-series router, connected via a Linksys Wireless Router (unsure which model). Any thoughts on how I can help them out?

When I tried the address 192.168.1.254, it spat out an "address not valid" error...which wasn't very helpful.

Trying 192.168.1.1 means I need a username and pasword, the defaults don't seem to work and it wouldn't have been changed at home. I've also tried to get it changed by plugging the ethernet cable in from the router directly to a pc, still no joy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

when you are connected to their network, go to dos (start, run and type cmd and hit enter) and type ipconfig/all at the command prompt and hit enter and look for the default gateway IP address in the results. linksys are usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

this will be your router. assuming it's the linksys router, the default username and password for linksys routers is admin and admin in the username AND password box.

hope that helps.

if it doesn't then you can still change the dns servers manually on their PC in the tcp/ip settings in network properties.

Advertisement