Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composite v Timber Decking

Options
  • 13-07-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Getting ready to install a multi-level deck and wondering what the best build material is.

I've heard Cedar is far superior to the other timbers, but then composite appears to be far lower maintenance. Any expert/non-expert opinions would be greatly appreciated...

CG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hell Toupee

Composite Decking is very plastic looking (The laminate floor for outdoors) Cedar is really good option but expensive. Spruce decking is the best value for money option and will last 10+ years if maintained properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Almost sure I read or heard that Cedar is very soft and not really suited to decks as it marks very easy.

Hell Toupee knows more about the other products than I do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Saw the composite for the first time there 2 weeks ago and it looks very fake. Wouldn't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

there are a few different makes of the composite stuff.

we looked at wogans solid timber decking.

looks very nice in antrazite colour.

it is an investment but on par with solid cedar, or something harder wearing and the main thing is the maintenance and durability of the composite.

20years+, colour gurantee etc etc

only big bearer is the fact that you will have to support it with treated timbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I have a large deck, and if I was doing it again, I would certainly check out composite materials, as the maintenance on timber is time consuming and expensive. I spend over €100 a year on decking oil.

I noticed JFC in Tuam are producing a composite one, but I have only seen the light brown, and it looked fake, maybe the black one would look good?

• Advertisement

will check it out

had my resovations about it at first,

however when I saw it down it really did look very well

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭jasgrif11

I looked at one from Better Deck about 2 years ago and it looked very good but was very expensive. I think it was 7,000 Euro at the time in comparison to 3,500 for the timber. I assume prices have come down since then.

I'm still looking to get it done and would be interested in the composite. Has anyone finished pictures and approx costs, anyone they recommend?

Cheers
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

Here is my composite deck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

gorwanvfr wrote: »
    Here is my composite deck

Looks the business: u do it your self one Sat morning:)

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Looks the business: u do it your self one Sat morning:)
    No but wish I had, got a company in to do it they have now gone bang, So much for the 20 year guarantee. Took a lot a hassle to get them to finish it right in the end had to do it myself.;)

• Advertisement

that looks great!

where are the boards from ?

the design is with two differnt type boards?

is it regular timber joist below?

that looks great!

where are the boards from ?

the design is with two differnt type boards?

is it regular timber joist below?
    The joists below are pressure treated, The design is with two different sizes and three different colours. The name of the boards is Trex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClimateGirl

Thanks for all the informative posts. I'm sold on composite - I don't want the expense, hassle and environmental impact of treating timber decking with chemical cleaning products every year.

Gorwanvfr, your pics are amazing! Do you know where the composite came from?

So far, I have samples from Better Deck and Wogans. The Better Deck stuff looks really plastic to me and is considerably more expensive than Wogans. The Wogans composite samples look great (esp. anthracite) - I showed it to 3 people and they couldn't tell the difference between it and a cedar plank I brought with me!

Wogan's do a hollow board and a solid board - I'm leaning toward the hollow because it's a bit cheaper and has nice wide planks. If anyone has any further opinions on hollow v. solid, I'd love more info.

Thanks again for all the great help! Isn't boards.ie the best?!? ;-)
    CG

The crowd I got the deck from have closed up but did google and found
    Sunset Pleasures Tuam
    N17 Business Park,
    Galway Rd.
    Tuam

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Thanks for all the informative posts. I'm sold on composite - I don't want the expense, hassle and environmental impact of treating timber decking with chemical cleaning products every year.

Gorwanvfr, your pics are amazing! Do you know where the composite came from?

So far, I have samples from Better Deck and Wogans. The Better Deck stuff looks really plastic to me and is considerably more expensive than Wogans. The Wogans composite samples look great (esp. anthracite) - I showed it to 3 people and they couldn't tell the difference between it and a cedar plank I brought with me!

Wogan's do a hollow board and a solid board - I'm leaning toward the hollow because it's a bit cheaper and has nice wide planks. If anyone has any further opinions on hollow v. solid, I'd love more info.

Thanks again for all the great help! Isn't boards.ie the best?!? ;-)
    CG

Have a very close look at the recommended maintenance for the composite, particularly to maintain the non-slip/ no green growth issues.

FWISW: we have hardwood down 15 years, it gets a a brush down and a lick of sadolins every 5-7

Have u sorted the weather:)

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Have a very close look at the recommended maintenance for the composite, particularly to maintain the non-slip/ no green growth issues.

FWISW: we have hardwood down 15 years, it gets a a brush down and a lick of sadolins every 5-7

Have u sorted the weather:)

Brush it down and may be once a year or once every two years give it a power wash. No sanding no splinters and no staining/painting which is just perfect for a lazy git like me:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I have a large deck, and if I was doing it again, I would certainly check out composite materials, as the maintenance on timber is time consuming and expensive. I spend over €100 a year on decking oil.

I noticed JFC in Tuam are producing a composite one, but I have only seen the light brown, and it looked fake, maybe the black one would look good?

I agree with this 100%. I have a 40sqm deck and it is painfully difficult to maintain each year, especially given how little use we get out of it with our wet Summers. If I were doing it again I would go with paving slabs of some sort. Daisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blue sky

I am just about to put down a composite deck at my house. I have done allot of research for the project and composite decking is the way to go in this wet climate. I looked at Wogans composite decking. It's manufactured in china and does not have much of a track record. (I don't want to be the Ginny pig) I have it narrowed down to companies Correct Deck or Betterdeck as both deck boards are made in the States and have been around for about 10 years. It's down to price from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Phoenix1

One of my friends has installed the Whiteriver/Wogans Composite Decking and they are very happy with it. It's also installed down in the Zoo as far as I know. They powerwash it once a year and that's about it. Far better than any of the softwood decking if you ask me.

Look under http://wogans.com/Decking_c.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

daisyplant wrote: »
    I agree with this 100%. I have a 40sqm deck and it is painfully difficult to maintain each year, especially given how little use we get out of it with our wet Summers. If I were doing it again I would go with paving slabs of some sort. Daisy.

I was at a place the other day and they had a sort of awning which was an aluminium structure with twin wall polycarbonate glazing panels.

I struck up a conversation with the proprietor for curiosity as I had just built a wood shed using a similar material for both walls and roof, and he said they were getting quite popular for erecting over areas of decking as people were finding, as you mentioned, that they were not getting much use out of the decking due to the weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement