Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beatles Album

Options
  • 13-07-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Ok, so as a sort of reaction to the "10 best Beatles songs" thread, I've decided to post this best album thread. I love the Beatles, but to be honest, listing my ten favourite songs is impossible. But more importantly, you can't really delve into any interesting debate about your favourite songs, and all that happens is a bunch of people write down a list each.

So vote for your favourite album, but also explain why. Whilst this is just as subjective as the "favourite song" idea, it at least narrows it down to a choice of 14 (I've included Magical Mystery Tour too). Also, as good as Beatles songs are on their own, you really must listen to an album to fully appreciate them. The were pioneers of the album format after all.

So My choice is Rubber Soul.

For me it's their best album. It's unbelievably consistent;every song is as good as, if not better than the one preceding it. They foray into mock French chanson (Michelle), traditional Greek (Girl), proto-funk (The Word), Harrisons first venture into sitar music, and contains 'In My Life', for me their best song and a real competitor for best song ever written.

They were really at the top of their game with this album. John and Paul were very much writing together, George was getting a look in with the spiteful and brilliant "Think For Yourself", and even Ringo's effort is amazing. Listen to "What Goes On" and try not to smile.

I love all the Beatles' albums, but for me this was when they were at their peak songwriting-wise.

Favourite Beatles Album 99 votes

Please Please Me
    0%
    With The Beatles
    0%
    A Hard Day's Night
    0%
    Beatles for Sale
    1%
    Trafford Lad 1 vote
    Help!
    0%
    Rubber Soul
    1%
    Batesy 1 vote
    Revolver
    5%
    pinksoirchalad07fryuploveissucideJijsaw 5 votes
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    25%
    [Deleted User]exiotStompboxThomas_S_Huntersongustavohighlight100stanley1Sr. PirotecnicIomega Man1stimpressionsLatchyTheBanditstrawberryb0yRastaRedjackhammerCorcs001BobeagleburgerbntHardrainalipackers 25 votes
    Magical Mystery Tour
    17%
    Karl HungusBlistermankeano_afcawhirRob_lMr. KGillingtonpq0n1ct4ve8zf5ZambonibazualcherryghostJP LizsudzyWhitestBoyAliveA NeuroticJimmy Iovinekev9100 17 votes
    The Beatles (The White Album)
    1%
    laoisforliam 1 vote
    Yellow Submarine
    23%
    loyatemufjonFractureHashSlingingTony HMr.Nice GuyZappaFrankchristebKnifeWRENCHShrykebluto63PaparazzoJimiTimedeise_boiJerryHandbagDriver 8AmiranisleepyescapadeGlassheartbluefinger 23 votes
    Abbey Road
    1%
    Starfox 1 vote
    Let It Be
    25%
    slave1nlgbbbblthSandy22Neo#Royale with CheeseBoo-yahthorbarrync6000jaydigityBubs101ktc1AldebaranClutchItBriandamageWeepsiedelbertgradyCDfmDan DareTillotsonsyrupy 25 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I love all the Beatles albums but an going to go with Revolver because it was original , fresh and expermental . The chord changes on some of the tracks like Dr Robert , I'm only sleeping , Taxman, are spot on .It was the bridge between the 'mop top Beatles ' and the more socially aware, studio orinatated, Beatles .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Revolver
    Latchy wrote: »
    I love all the Beatles albums but an going to go with Revolver because it was original , fresh and expermental . The chord changes on some of the tracks like Dr Robert , I'm only sleeping , Taxman, are spot on .It was the bridge between the 'mop top Beatles ' and the more socially aware, studio orinatated, Beatles .
    http://www.kindakinks.net/misc/articles/beatles.html

This is Ray Davies' review of Revolver. I'd have to say I agree with a lot of what he says. There really isn't a bad song on Rubber Soul and Revolver isn't up to the same standard. There are absolutely brilliant songs on it; For No One (Davies missed this on his review), I'm Only Sleeping, Here There And Everywhere, Taxman, Good Day Sunshine and of course Tomorrow Never Knows.

But then there are the below average songs; She Said She Said, And Your Bird Can Sing, I Want To Tell You. These are nowhere near the standard of the rest of the songs on the album, and likewise nowhere near any songs on Rubber Soul. Then there is Yellow Submarine. It's bad. It's a funny song I suppose but it's just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Let It Be
    Abbey Road for me. Best album of all time in my opinion.

Would probably put Revolver second, then maybe the White Album or Rubber Soul. Never got the fuss around Sgt. Peppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Yellow Submarine
    pinksoir wrote: »

This is Ray Davies' review of Revolver. I'd have to say I agree with a lot of what he says. There really isn't a bad song on Rubber Soul and Revolver isn't up to the same standard. There are absolutely brilliant songs on it; For No One (Davies missed this on his review), I'm Only Sleeping, Here There And Everywhere, Taxman, Good Day Sunshine and of course Tomorrow Never Knows.

But then there are the below average songs; She Said She Said, And Your Bird Can Sing, I Want To Tell You. These are nowhere near the standard of the rest of the songs on the album, and likewise nowhere near any songs on Rubber Soul. Then there is Yellow Submarine. It's bad. It's a funny song I suppose but it's just nonsense.

The thing that bends my mind about those two albums is that the gap between the last recording session for Rubber Soul and the 1st recording session for Revolver is a mere 16 weeks!
    That's completely inconceivable these days. Especially with music of that caliber...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

But then there are the below average songs; She Said She Said, And Your Bird Can Sing, I Want To Tell You. These are nowhere near the standard of the rest of the songs on the album, and likewise nowhere near any songs on Rubber Soul.

Interesting that. Over at Word Magazine they were having a discussion about the best track on Revolver. And Your Bird Can Sing won out. No more than any other opinion here, it's entirely subjective, but I'm with them on that.

One mans weaker track, etc etc etc...

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/revolver-poll-results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Yellow Submarine
    I voted for 'The White Album', but it could have easily have been others. 'Let it be' is an album that doesn''t come in for much praise, but I have to say it is really up there for me. A great raw record. I love the little jam 'Dig it', and had a bootleg of the let it be sessions where that went on for about 8 minutes. I love 'I've got a feeling', one of my fave Beatles tracks. Its like they refound the whole playing live together again. Even though this was The Beatles at breaking point, you can't help but get a sense of fun IMO. With the exception of 'Maggie Mae', I don't think there's weak track for me.

Revolver
    Abbey Road for me. Best album of all time in my opinion.

Would probably put Revolver second, then maybe the White Album or Rubber Soul. Never got the fuss around Sgt. Peppers.

The thing about Sgt. Pepper is that it was completely out of left field when it came out. The difference between it and Revolver, and indeed it and any other records of the time, is unreal. You can hear the roots of their experimentation on Revolver, but Peppers takes it to a whole new level. It was the perfect example of what great bands should always do. Be unpredictable, inventive and don't stick to the same formula, even if it works. Evolve, or die.

Beatlemania was really losing momentum - they'd stopped touring and had become an immersed studio band. The variety of songs on Sgt Pepper is crazy too; from rock and roll, to music hall, to psychedelia, to classical, to circus, to Indian, to melodrama. And George Martin's contributions, if in any way overlooked before, really must be paid heed to on Peppers.

Sgt Pepper is an album that people of our generation can easily take for granted, but it's influence on subsequent generations of musicians is one of the things that makes it so important. In the context of the era in which it came out, it was light years ahead of it's time, and hasn't ever been topped by any other artist, nor even come close to.

Plus, it's amazing to listen to when stoned. It's so visual.
    Interesting that. Over at Word Magazine they were having a discussion about the best track on Revolver. And Your Bird Can Sing won out. No more than any other opinion here, it's entirely subjective, but I'm with them on that.

One mans weaker track, etc etc etc...

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/revolver-poll-results

I don't think it's a bad song by any stretch. Most bands of that time would be more than happy to have written it. I just don't think it's up to the standard of any song on Rubber Soul, and certainly there are better songs on Revolver. Though as you say, it's all subjective.
    JimiTime wrote: »
    I voted for 'The White Album', but it could have easily have been others. 'Let it be' is an album that doesn''t come in for much praise, but I have to say it is really up there for me. A great raw record. I love the little jam 'Dig it', and had a bootleg of the let it be sessions where that went on for about 8 minutes. I love 'I've got a feeling', one of my fave Beatles tracks. Its like they refound the whole playing live together again. Even though this was The Beatles at breaking point, you can't help but get a sense of fun IMO. With the exception of 'Maggie Mae', I don't think there's weak track for me.

I think Let It Be is terribly underated. I was thinking of Maggie May while reading what you wrote and I'm glad you took exception to it at the end! Seriously, Across The Universe, For You Blue, I Me Mine, Dig It, Get Back? All amazing songs. And like yousay, the feeling of them being a live band again really comes through. Really raw. As with Peppers, evolve, or die. Though ironically enough it was their last record. Daring to the end, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

In a sense, whilst it's a tough job coming up with the 'best' Beatles album, the 'favourite' album is a tougher nut to crack. The Beatles story is almost perfect, from beginning to end, beginning, to all intents and purposes with a wailing harmonica on Love Me Do and (pedantry re Abbey Road/Let It Be chronology, and Her Majesty aside) ending with 'The love you take is equal to the love you make'.

Either way, 'best' and 'favourite' will always be subjective choices, but sometimes you gotta go behind the music.

In terms of an emotional connection - which is where 'favourite' comes in - I can take or leave the middle period ones, which flies in the face of a lot of conventional, and recieved wisdom. Rubber Soul really does sod all for me. Revolver I love from a musical perspective, Pepper - yeah - okay, and The White album is occasionally brilliant but needed a little trimming.

Abbey Road AND Let it Be I find fascinating in that (as i've said before on threads passim) you had four guys who were getting close to absolutely hating each other, but could still produce this kind of music. And it *was* done together with a view to making THIS Beatles record as good as any other. Listen to the final stretch of Abbey Road. Lennon might have reckoned he wanted to string up Macca, but he still piles in with a feck-off raggedy assed solo on 'The End'. Listen to the Everly style harmonies on 'Two of Us' and you can still hear the two teenagers impressed, respectively, at the others guitar prowess and f*ck you attitude at the Wooton Fete in 1957. It's the knowledge that all that was going on coupled with the music that makes it a more special album for me.

go to the other end of the spectrum and listen to Hard Days Night. It's ALL Beatles. At this point, they've just gone and pretty much told the professional Tin Pan Alley songwriters that their days are numbered. From here on out, groups will write their own songs. Oh, and they'll not be needing your session musicians. Oh and you can tell the A&R man that he needn't bother his hole coming by the studio, we'll be okay with the producer, thanks very much. And any covers we do, we'll be choosing them ourselves, because we want to - though as it happens from that point out, they did none.

It's the sound of (small r) revolution happening. Nothing would ever be the same for any band, ever again. And for that reason. for the symbolism and achievement that was Hard Days Night, I find it as an equal ranker for my favourite. It's got more behind it. It was written as a pure belter of a pop-album a time when writing songs for 14 year old girls was nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm 35, and I still sing along to it in the bath...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Revolver
    It's crazy to think of the journey the Beatles made over the course of a few short years. They went from the mop-top pop stars, to writing the greatest albums ever. Dont get me wrong, the pop they produced was perfect - but the leap was huge. I cant think of any modern bands who would have the same range - from 'Love Me Do' to 'Tomorrow Never Knows'.

In terms of favorite album - it changes all the time. I really dont know - i voted for Rubber Soul but i'm already doubting my choice! I dont think theres any bad songs on this album, just songs that take longer to grow on you than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Yellow Submarine
    White album all the way. Just because there's so much on it. If you condensed it to a single album it would probably be in everyones top 5. Have to admit revolver was my favourite for years though, and Sgt. Pepper would be a close third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

Let It Be
    Chiming in here for Abbey Road. Talk about the variety on Sgt Pepper's all you like, but personally I think it's far more noticeable on Abbey Road.
    One minute, you have the upbeat Octopus' Garden, the next it's the blues-driven I Want You, and that's when you really get an idea of the musical ground that they covered and the vastly different approach to music that John, Paul, George and Ringo had as individuals.
    The segue between Polythene Pam and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window is excellent as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cliff Barnes

Yellow Submarine
    daverage wrote: »
    Chiming in here for Abbey Road. Talk about the variety on Sgt Pepper's all you like, but personally I think it's far more noticeable on Abbey Road.
    One minute, you have the upbeat Octopus' Garden, the next it's the blues-driven I Want You, and that's when you really get an idea of the musical ground that they covered and the vastly different approach to music that John, Paul, George and Ringo had as individuals.
    The segue between Polythene Pam and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window is excellent as well :)

Maccas Maxwells silver hammer ruins it for me though and a lot of the ideas are only half-finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Let It Be
    daverage wrote: »

One of the finest moments in the Beatles catalogue :)

Yes I would agree up to a point and as somebody said ' it's all subjective .I love Rubber soul to with Nowere man , Girl , Norwegian wood , In my Life ,Drive my car .... the Beatles at their finest .Also has being said , picking a fav Beatles album is like picking a fav Beatles 10 ten singles ,you might change it every week .Ray Davis's review of Revolver is intrestiing and yes, yellow submarine was just a novelty record thrown in to make up the number just as Octopus Garden was on Abbey Road .But still a successful single ( the kids loved it ) . McCartney also said ' Here There and Everywere was influenced by hearing the Beach Boys ' God only Know's ' . One could easy pick the bones of Lennon / McCartneys stuff and make separate ' best off ' albums because Georges influences aside ,it's mainly their collective input that makes all the Beatles albums so different .
    Originally Posted by daverage
    The segue between Polythene Pam and She Came in Through the Bathroom Window is excellent as well
    Yes ,Brilliant, and there's also the Beach Boys influenced harmonies in that sequence to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Let It Be
    The album I listen to the most is actually Love, but I think that's more to do with how well it sounds, and how good some of the mixes are.
    I love The Beatles, but I don't think they ever made an album that didn't have at least a handful of duds on it. I voted for Abbey Road, primarily for Something and Side Two, but also because I think it deserves credit for being recorded at all, given the tension in the ranks at the time.
    Revolver always scores high on these polls, but for me, the good stuff (For No One, Tomorrow Never Knows) is counterbalanced by - in my opinion - two of the worst songs in their catalogue, namely the wretched Got to Get You Into My Life and Good Day Sunshine, both of which jar with the rest of the album as much as Yellow Submarine does.
    Sure, Abbey Road has Octopus' Garden and bloody Maxwell's Silver Hammer, but I think it wins out for Side Two.
    The cover's f***ing superb as well.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 taphead

Revolver captures them at their very peak. But if they could have put Strawberry Fields & Penny Lane on Sgt. Pepper (at the expense of, ooh, Lucy in the Sky and, emmmm, Lovely Rita), that would have maybe trumped it.

That said, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and the White Album are excellent too.

taphead wrote: »
    Revolver captures them at their very peak. But if they could have put Strawberry Fields & Penny Lane on Sgt. Pepper (at the expense of, ooh, Lucy in the Sky and, emmmm, Lovely Rita), that would have maybe trumped it.

[/QUOTE
    Agreed ,those two would have enhanced and giving more depth to Pepper .

Lucy could have made a good single with Rita on the B side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 alipackers

have to go for Revolver myself with Abbey Road a close 2nd!
    This was a really hard choice! So many good albums from a band that somehow still sound great today!! I'm greatful that they arent able to have a new millenium "comeback" like some of the other old bands!!!
    Love that revolver album though. could listen to it all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Only have the one album so it has to be Revolver.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yellow Submarine
    The White Album. I want to learn to play the guitar just so I can play Julia.

• Advertisement

taphead wrote: »

That said, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and the White Album are excellent too.
    Yes but would they have taken away from the theme of the album. Wonder just out of this world Pet Sounds would have been if Brian Wilson had put Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villians on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Let It Be
    abbey road has you never give me your money and thats enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Let It Be
    I would have to say the Best of the Beatles

Revolver
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    I would have to say the Best of the Beatles
    Ahoy hoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Favorite at the moment is 'Love'.

I know its a compilation/remix album but its got everything in it. Its a mystical adventure of epic proportions! Fine piece of work that....

Zangetsu wrote: »
    Favorite at the moment is 'Love'.

I know its a compilation/remix album but its got everything in it. Its a mystical adventure of epic proportions! Fine piece of work that....
    maybe we should have stated best beatles studio album at the top to avoid any confusion

Yes but would they have taken away from the theme of the album. Wonder just out of this world Pet Sounds would have been if Brian Wilson had put Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villians on it.
    Indeed , Sloop J B catchy as it is , should not have being on Pet Sounds .Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villians would have fitted in perfect . Perhaps why pet Sounds was not given the proper recognition at the time .

Indeed , Sloop J B catchy as it is , should not have being on Pet Sounds .Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villians would have fitted in perfect . Perhaps why pet Sounds was not given the proper recognition at the time .
    yes but where do you put Good vibrations and Heroes and Villians in terms of the track listing.

yes but where do you put Good vibrations and Heroes and Villians in terms of the track listing.
    Take out Sloop John B and the Title Pet Sounds (which is just dog barking I think ) and I would slip them in as below

Pet Sounds

1 Wouldn't It Be Nice
    2. You Still Believe
    3. That's Not Me
    4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
    5. I'm Waiting for the Day
    6. Let's Go Away for Awhile
    7. Good vibrations
    8. God Only Knows
    9. I Know There's an Answer
    10. Here Today
    11. I Just Wan't Made for Times Like These
    12. Heroes and Villians
    13. Caroline, No
    14. Hang on to Your Ego [Bonus Track]

• Advertisement

Take out Sloop John B and the Title Pet Sounds (which is just dog barking I think ) and I would slip them in as below

Pet Sounds

1 Wouldn't It Be Nice
    2. You Still Believe
    3. That's Not Me
    4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
    5. I'm Waiting for the Day
    6. Let's Go Away for Awhile
    7. Good vibrations
    8. God Only Knows
    9. I Know There's an Answer
    10. Here Today
    11. I Just Wan't Made for Times Like These
    12. Heroes and Villians
    13. Caroline, No
    14. Hang on to Your Ego [Bonus Track]
    wouldnt put good vibrations and god only knows together.

Advertisement