Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Beatles Album

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Revolver, but song for song Past Masters vol 2(singles and b-sides 65-70) is probably even better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Revolver, but song for song Past Masters vol 2(singles and b-sides 65-70) is probably even better
    again not sure if compilations count. poll above is your reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

wouldnt put good vibrations and god only knows together.
    Yea but Good Vibrations ends side one .God only knows begins side two but on a cd I can see how they might nor fit

Latchy wrote: »
    Yea but Good Vibrations ends side one .God only knows begins side two but on a cd I can see how they might nor fit
    oh i get you. that makes more sense. Still a great album with two tracks. Saw him perform the album when he was in the point a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Revolver
    Rubber Soul.Not a bad song on it, and Revolver suffers from not being sequenced as well, whereas Sgt Pepper's has Within You Without You dragging the record down.

• Advertisement

Rubber Soul.Not a bad song on it, and Revolver suffers from not being sequenced as well, whereas Sgt Pepper's has Within You Without You dragging the record down.
    Think Revolver is sequenced perfectly. As albums go, its up there with the best. can anyone provide a track listing for Abbey Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Magical Mystery Tour
    for me its Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

oh i get you. that makes more sense. Still a great album with two tracks. Saw him perform the album when he was in the point a few years ago.
    Yea I managed to see him at the Liverpool summer pops 3 year ago ,great gig

Latchy wrote: »
    Yea I managed to see him at the Liverpool summer pops 3 year ago ,great gig
    yes was funny when he played a bit of brian Wilson by Bare Naked Ladies. Which is a great song by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I have practically no Beatles albums at all so I'm making note of what you all rate highly here so cheers. Where can you get this stuff now without paying an arm and a leg for them? The White Album usually goes for 30-40 euro in HMV for example!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

You can't get Beatles albums cheap. EMI have never been allowed to sell them as 'mid price' as part of a deal hammered out, i think, when they issued the bands catalogue on CD. The mindset on the part of Apple - the Beatles company - was that they'd been f*cked over by EMI on single/vinyl royalty payments all through the sixties and weren't going to let it happen again.

Good news is that the present issues of the Beatles on CD (released in 1987) will soon become obsolete, as remasters are coming out in September. Thus the old, inferior, versions will probably become cheap as chips.

well white Album is a double album thats why it is dearer. Start with Revolver. songs you would know from it would be Eleanor Rigby and Yellow Submarine. Not one weak song in it. My favourite song in it would be I'm only sleeping. Would think if you looked around you could get it for under a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Beatles for Sale
    Mine is definitely A Hard Days Night.....the first Beatles album I got back in 1992 and I loved it, blew me away, pure catchy pop songs, nearly all Lennon tracks as well, stuff like "If I fell"..."I should have known better" "I'll be back" etc..love it! Great pop songs, George's Rickenbacker etc, they loooked really well around 64-65 as well,before the drugs crept in!

yes was funny when he played a bit of brian Wilson by Bare Naked Ladies. Which is a great song by the way.
    I am sure that is on the double cd '' Live At The Roxy '' released in 03 and I have it somewere to
    Mine is definitely A Hard Days Night.....the first Beatles album I got back in 1992 and I loved it, blew me away, pure catchy pop songs, nearly all Lennon tracks as well, stuff like "If I fell"..."I should have known better" "I'll be back" etc..love it! Great pop songs, George's Rickenbacker etc, they loooked really well around 64-65 as well,before the drugs crept in!
    Hard days night is a fine album with the tracks you mention and also ''Things we said ,And I lover her Happy just to dance , and ' you cant do that .

It was on the American '65' tour that the were introduced to pot by Bob Dylan and the cross over from pure pop such as Hard days night into (drug influenced ) Revolver is evident with more thought out lyrics like , I'm only sleeping ,For no one ,Dr Robert ,Tomorrow never knows and She Said She Said ( a phrase used by Peter Fonda to John Lennon while Fonda was tripping on acid )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Chumpski wrote: »
    I have practically no Beatles albums at all so I'm making note of what you all rate highly here so cheers. Where can you get this stuff now without paying an arm and a leg for them? The White Album usually goes for 30-40 euro in HMV for example!
    Dont bother buying the albums now, wait until they released the newly mastered albums on the 9th of september.

Revolver gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 syrupy

Let It Be
    It'd be a MASSIVELY tough call between Revolver and Abbey Road. I think Abbey Road just pips the post for "Here Comes The Sun". Flippin' marvellous...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Magical Mystery Tour
    I voted for Sgt Pepper's, because the title track saved my ass in Leaving Cert music this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

The Beatles (The White Album)
    Cant believe im the first to vote for magical mystery tour!!
    I ****in love that album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Revolver
    Why oh why do people like Abbey Road?It's hideously dated.

Apart from the title track any other songs to recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

The Beatles (The White Album)
    Apart from the title track any other songs to recommend it?

Honestly every single song!!

1. Magical Mystery Tour Love this intro
    2. The Fool On The Hil - l Beautiful song
    3. Flying - great instrumental
    4. Blue Jay Way - kind of weird but still great imo
    5. Your Mother Should Know - good mid paced song
    6. I Am The Walrus - no need to explain
    7. Hello Goodbye - Weakest track still love it tho
    8. Strawberry Fields Forever - no need to explain
    9. Penny Lane -
    no need to explain
    10. Baby You're A Rich Man - my favourite
    11. All You Need Is Love -
    no need to explain

Unbelievably underrated album

9. Penny Lane -
    no need to explain
    no need to explain

good selection. Almost sounds like a greatest hits collection. Have always liked Fool on the Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Revolver

have you ever seen the movie??

here's a sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnpil_pRUiw&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's not really a proper album though, is it? It started off life as a double EP before being repackaged.

Great tunes alright, one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

Let It Be

It's not my favourite album, but I also can't believe only one person has voted for it! I think it's not the most cohesive album, it doesn't flow as well as some of their other albums, but it has some of the Beatles best individual tracks.

Abbey Road is my favourite. It's definitely the medeley that sells me on it. So inventive and they pulled it off in supreme style.

"I want you (She's so Heavy)" is incredible. A song 8 mins long, with only 14 words... and it's a masterpiece.
    From wikipedia:
    David Gates writes of the song, "The hypnotically repeated guitar figure in 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' is suddenly, arbitrarily cut off, jolting us into embarrassed awareness that we've let a mere recording carry us away."
    I think that's an excellent assessment of it.

loveissucide" Why oh why do people like Abbey Road?It's hideously dated. "
    I totally disagree. Stand alone outstanding tracks like "come Together", "Something", "Here Comes the Sun" are classics and date extremely well IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

jaydigity wrote: »
    It's not my favourite album, but I also can't believe only one person has voted for it! I think it's not the most cohesive album, it doesn't flow as well as some of their other albums, but it has some of the Beatles best individual tracks.

Abbey Road is my favourite. It's definitely the medeley that sells me on it. So inventive and they pulled it off in supreme style.

"I want you (She's so Heavy)" is incredible. A song 8 mins long, with only 14 words... and it's a masterpiece.
    From wikipedia:
    David Gates writes of the song, "The hypnotically repeated guitar figure in 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' is suddenly, arbitrarily cut off, jolting us into embarrassed awareness that we've let a mere recording carry us away."
    I think that's an excellent assessment of it.

loveissucide" Why oh why do people like Abbey Road?It's hideously dated. "
    I totally disagree. Stand alone outstanding tracks like "come Together", "Something", "Here Comes the Sun" are classics and date extremely well IMO.

Abbey Road has it's moments, but I don't think it's anywhere near their best album, always thought a few songs dragged, especially Something. Never know why that song is so loved, wish Maybe I'm Amazed had made it there in it's place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Has to be revolver for me. Cool Album cover.
    And you have some of the best of Lennon;
    I'm only sleeping
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    And Paul;
    Here, There And Everywhere
    For No One
    Eleanor Rigby
    And throw in a bit of taxman and that's a cracking album
    It just flows together really well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

9. Penny Lane -
    no need to explain
    no need to explain

Was my favorite for a while especially for Strawberry Fields And I Am The Walrus. I dunno just listening to the album as a whole it doesn't have the same flow as Revolver.
    I mean if you were to argue for album with most great songs it would be the white album but for the overall flow and feel of an album it has to be revolver

Advertisement