Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent clashes in Northern Ireland.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Scien wrote: »
    It's easy to say that though, as someone that has lived in a peaceful Country, assuming you've lived in Ireland all your life.

The NI Tourist Board should write off this 'Orangefest' as an unfortunate misjudgment of progress.
    There isn't Peace in the North, only a cessation of violence & hostilities.
    Yes, its easy to say it. However I live amid a community that has it strong traditions and guess what, I still am choosing a peaceful route to getting things sorted. Those that don't like that, tuff.

The NI T.B. can spin it anyway they want. Those with half a brain will see it for what it is.
    * A bunch of "living in the past a-holes" wishing to drag down with them, the rest of the community. Well the communities is choosing to live in peace, wants the scumbags to go get stuffed and sod off.

As for "There isn't Peace in the North, only a cessation of violence & hostilities." - that might be your view, to others peace has broken out only to be occasionally interceded by the wasteful, idiotic, moronic useless violent actions of scumbags. Those wishing to live in the past will obviously spin it any way they can to justify their stupid actions. Only to be expected by idiots who will always get nowhere in the long run.
    A brick through someones window or a burned out car/bus never solved any problems, only created more.

Guess what, some of us have decided to use our brains instead of our fists!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,257 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Probably only want their country back.

they would not known their country if it came up a bit them in the ass.

An orchestrated excuse to throw stuff at cops, that's all the was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

they would not known their country if it came up a bit them in the ass.

An orchestrated excuse to throw stuff at cops, that's all the was

I think Tod you will find I came to that conclusion about 30 posts ago;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61130699&postcount=8

Bunch of scummers looking for a bit of diversion, egged on by the "hardmen" who would fight and die to claim the dole from the ROI rather than the Queen(or both if they could get away with it):rolleyes:

get real lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Perhaps Derek Mahon said it best;

"this is your country, close one eye and be king."

For some people up there, they will never open both eyes, and never " feel called upon to understand and forgive but only to speak with a bleak afflatus". As biggins said they are only a minority and we are all the worse from even thinking of them; them criminals that would have themselves in the guise of freedom fighters.

Quotes from the poem Ecclesiastes, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Biggins wrote: »
    We can show the world that for all that we have been though, we as a modern nation and as a people of different sides and thought, can still come together in understanding of the others position, shake hands, create peaceful festivals which to the rest of the world can only portray us in good stead.

Very good post that #23, but one thing stands out is the, "we as a modern nation and as a people of different sides and thought, can still come together in understanding of the others position" which I agree is also a very admirable & appealing aspiration, but surely Unionism by its very nature, is not of this nation, nor does it wish to be ...........

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

It seems to me that there is a residual section of NI society that just can't handle the notion of a peaceful prosperous province. It reminds me of the quote from Batman that some men just like to see the world burn.

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

RiverWilde wrote: »
    It seems to me that there is a residual section of NI society that just can't handle the notion of a peaceful prosperous province. It reminds me of the quote from Batman that some men just like to see the world burn.

Riv

And did you ever ask yourself why??

Well I'll tell you, because in a peaceful NI these people have no place.Uneducated,unemployable,totally dependent of the state like their forefathers before them,they see their wheeling and dealing in the black economy compromised by law and order and of course it's in their interest to ferment as much unrest as possible to keep the police stretched while the oil tankers swing over the border late at night.

Let's talk some sense folks,these people are no more freedom fighters than Doran's ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's merely scumbags being scumbags because...well...they've very little else going on in their lives. They leap at such an opportunity and such a worthy cause it is too :rolleyes:

The same lowlife, bottom dwelling poster boys for abortion came out in force when they had the parade here, as we all know. Any excuse really.

It's unfortunate because the peaceful Catholics up north seem to have learned to turn the other cheek, yet amongst them lies a minority who'll not only not turn the other cheek, but go out and throw petrol bombs at the police.

And yet...the state still pays their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

When did maintaining a tradition become a defence to criminal acts?

There's a lot of people in this part of the world who celebrate the birth, and mark the crucifixion, of a prophet 2000 years ago. Would it be right and proper to throw petrol bombs and stones to stop such triumphalism as the crowds exit mass next 25th December?

if they march though israel - they might get that reaction yes

they march looking for trouble - that march is there to cause trouble

djpbarry wrote: »
    Here's hoping that someday, in the not too distant future, the Orange lads and the dissident republican lads will realise they are from the same country.

yes - i hope they get a vote on that in the future then this would be a reality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

if they march though israel - they might get that reaction yes

they march looking for trouble - that march is there to cause trouble
    Exactly.

How can it be right to allow this "march":rolleyes:go on through catholic areas knowing that this is and ALWAYS causes trouble.Why dont they just go to the uk or something with it???;)

And why would people throw petrol bombs at the chicken for such outrageous and provocative road crossing?

because it celebrated an outdated, bigoted and wrong acts of the past

upthedub wrote: »
    Exactly.

How can it be right to allow this "march":rolleyes:go on through catholic areas knowing that this is and ALWAYS causes trouble.Why dont they just go to the uk or something with it???;)

no - they can march where they are wanted to march and wont cause trouble

the same things said here about this being an excuse to be ''scumbags'' was what is said many times before

people will not sit back when provaked - and yes it is provaked - people all know which area would welcome the marchers and which would not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

no - they can march where they are wanted to march and wont cause trouble
    They are NOT wanted to march in ardoyne or any other places as that was seen on tv as they are just causing trouble as always.

It should not be allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

yes - i hope they get a vote on that in the future then this would be a reality
    I'm not sure what you mean?

someone stated they both live in the same country - which is technicaly true

my point is in a few years when a referendum is held on irish unification this will become a reality (island of ireland - ironically eneough is ireland/irish - no matter if it was split 88 years ago, with an artificial majority in certain areas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

All depends on from where you are standing friend.

Or maybe which was you're facing.

Hagar wrote: »
    Isn't "incitement to commit violence" a crime in the North? "Let's go down and goad the Paddys"

How else would a sane person describe those marches?

Two wrongs and all that. Hagar.... just to be clear, you're not justifying the violence, because that would be against the charter and I don't want to go down this road again. /mod friendly warning.

This happens every year, I don't understand how, at this stage, the Police haven't identified the ringleaders and acted. Northern Ireland is under UK rule and if the UK can jail a woman for being too loud during sex because she had an anti social behavior order, I'm not sure why they can't also view the parties on either side of this debacle as "anti social".

the ringleaders would not act in this way if:

they didnt have to see bigots marching down an area which they know they are enciting reaction in by marching there

they didnt have to see bigots marching down an area which they know they are enciting reaction in by marching there

There are many ways to protest. Plenty of effective peaceful ways to do so. Their way is the wrong way. They're criminals and they deserve no sympathy or leniency. Quite frankly, everyone who lifted even a pebble should get a criminal sentence.

someone stated they both live in the same country...
    They do - it's called the UK. That someone was me.

• Advertisement

the ringleaders would not act in this way if...
    ...they were not a bunch of knuckle-dragging morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

It really gets to me that the idiots marching to provoke a reaction (they may be in the minority of Orange marchers), and show the rest of the world how intolerant and quick to violence "nationalists" are, get their wish fulfilled every bloody time. It's brilliant propoganda for the unionists really - "how could the poor darlings live in a united Ireland when this is what the mean old nationalists do to them when they're merely out for a walk in their lovely bowler hats?"

The same idiotic minority on the nationalist side rises to the bait every damn time, and worse, is then defended by people whinging about how their reaction is incited by the nasty bigots in sashes and hats.

I don't see why nationalists can't just come out and say it was a minority of scumbags, they don't represent the majority viewpoint, the Orange order is pretty much irrelevant at this point, and if they want to march on public streets, they can.

Yet every time the minority start throwing bricks, bombs etc, it turns into a "circle the wagons" scenario.

At some point, hopefully, people will learn to move on.

Though when the debacle goes on and on year after year, I start to wonder if moving on is ever going to be a possibility.

the orange order marchers ....
    djpbarry wrote: »
    ...they (are) were not a bunch of knuckle-dragging morons.

see - we can both take qoute and finish them off to fit out own viewpoint

it achieves nothing - thanks for ignoring my points and wasting everyones time

----
    again read my post again - i said technicaly they are. in the future with a vote ireland will be united as it has been for substantialy longer than the 6 counties have been part of the uk (even if you include the time all of ireland was from 1800/1)

----
    no one advocated the violence

but one thing is a fact - if they didnt march in nationalists areas, which are well known, there would be no violence

the orange order marchers ....

see - we can both take qoute and finish them off to fit out own viewpoint

it achieves nothing - thanks for ignoring my points and wasting everyones time

Quit it, both of you.
    again read my post again - i said technicaly they are. in the future with a vote ireland will be united as it has been for substantialy longer than the 6 counties have been part of the uk (even if you include the time all of ireland was from 1800/1)

We're not talking about the future though. I mean when the United Federation takes hold, we won't even have independent countries anymore, but until then, lets focus on the current facts and not our wishlist for the future.

Northern Ireland is British domain, right now, period. That is the context of these discussions.

Btw, I'm not convinced you're here to do anything than apologize and triumph criminals rather than engage in discussion, as such, and unless someone quickly adds something new and intelligent here, I'm closing this thread.

The alternative is, I go through it and ban anyone I see even remotely celebrating criminal actions.

no one advocated the violence

but one thing is a fact - if they didnt march in nationalists areas, which are well known, there would be no violence
    Nonsense, those involved in the violence would seek an outlet somewhere else.

It's like saying "if he didn't stand in front of the gun he wouldn't be shot... not my fault he was there when I pulled the trigger..."

The people involved had a chance in how to respond, they responded as criminals. There is no way to support it or what they did.

End of discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

in the future with a vote ireland will be united as it has been for substantialy longer than the 6 counties have been part of the uk (even if you include the time all of ireland was from 1800/1)

conchubar1, I dont care if NI had been apart of the South up to 1 year ago; the fact is that the majority of that area want to be in the UK and at the end of the day thats what matters. Not some historical hypothesis.

This thread is closed due to trending towards supporting criminal acts, as per the charter.

anyone attempting to go down this road in the same manner as this thread will be culled from the forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement