Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interailing Tips and Advice please.

• 13-07-2009 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Just wondering What to Bring and what Not to bring?

What have you learned from past experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭iheartthailand

to be honest anything u forget u can buy wherever your gona be interrailing. i say get one of those flesh coloured fanny packs that you wear under your clothes for the train journeys. u can put your ticket/passport/money/banks cards in them and fall asleep on the train without having to worry about them.

other than that i cant really recommend anything much! dont bring any good clothes or valuable stuff apart from your camera. if your going during the summer bring a few pairs of flip flops, i went throught a good few when i went!

i had the best time ever interrailing 2 years ago-have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Obvious stuff really.

Towel
    Student Card
    Chargers and Adapters
    Clothes but nothing too good
    More than one pair of footwear
    Two bags (one small one large)
    Toiletries
    Visa or Mastercard if you have one for booking things. (If not memorize your rents number, I did.)
    I don't regret brining my laptop, but I am only a week in....
    Something to do at train stations (like me right now...)

You need any other advice message me, I am out here right now, so dunno when I will have wifi, but probably soon.

(Ps, you might want to check the blog)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I'd recommend that you make sure the backpack you have is an appropriate size and comfortable... I brought a 70 L backpack but was well able for it. One of the girls had a 90 L backpack and it was far too big and heavy for her...

Don't bring too much clothes, you can always pick up something over there and there'll be plenty of opportunities to wash them. Makes for a lighter backpack!

The fanny pack/bum bag yoke is definately worthwile for security, also bring a padlock for hostels with lockers. I'd recommend only selecting hostels with lockers cos its not worth ruining your whole trip by having someone rob your bag/money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Oh classic interrail tip, from Experience.

This was me 4 days ago... SUNCREAM, if you plan on sitting out in Paris for 6 hours wear it, it won't help that its in your bag (which you left in a locker in Munich).

P3140470.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

errlloyd wrote: »
    Oh classic interrail tip, from Experience.

This was me 4 days ago... SUNCREAM, if you plan on sitting out in Paris for 6 hours wear it, it won't help that its in your bag (which you left in a locker in Munich).

P3140470.jpg

Ha, happened in Crete last summer, k.o.ing in the sun, Not Good!

**EDIT- Hey when you get to the Train stations, whats the story with it, Do you Just have to hope theres room on the train for 6 people..Do u hav to pre book places on the Train?

Or is it just a highly complex version of the Dart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

If u're getting a special train such as a night train with sleeping cabins or one of them slick super fast trains you'll have to book tickets and pay a bit extra. The Interrailing ticket only covers general trains.

But if you're just getting a normal train there'll usually be enough room... We had no problems with 10 of us. Got one night train and it was not worth it at all. Woken up at every opportunity for passport checks. Although depends on the number of borders you're crossing...

Advertisement