Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick a post inside a thread

Options
  • 13-07-2009 11:29pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

Hi... what about the ability to stick a post (the OP) inside a thread so that it is visible across all pages of the thread. Say you are running a competition in a thread and the OP contains the rules... you know people and lazy and will join in midway through the thread so having something up top in much the same way that announcements are handled but only for particular threads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Good idea but couldn't the OP just edit his post and write in what he changed in the edit note? But it'd be useful for threads where a problem is identified, then the solution is found 4 pages into the thread. The solution could be stickied to the start so all would see firstly, instead of checking the entire thread. Good example of where this is useful is the thread on Eircom's DNS outages in the tech forum. People are just repeating the solution constantly to get it to the top of a new page in the thread.

However, I dunno if it should be the OP's power, as in a debate or something, the OP could just sticky the desired statements of the OP's choice...

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I hadn't really intended it to be in the power of the original poster, more that a mod could decide to stick a (any) post at the top of the thread... a bit like an accepted answer etc.

As far as I know, the guys won't be developing any major features like this until vBulletin 4 comes out in a few months (there isn't much point in developing a feature for the current vBulletin if it's just going to be "scrapped" in a few months).

But aside from that, I think it's a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The soccer super threads could make good use of such a feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Great idea, but as JammyDodger says, not right now.

We will be continuing development before 4.x but we'll be just more wary of adding features which are hard to move to 4.x or are already implemented in 4.x.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement