Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warranty on replaced product?

• 13-07-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hey all,

Not really sure what the correct procedure is here.
    Basically I bought an xbox 360 when it launched (Nov 2005) and it then Red Ringed around the september mark of 2006, which MicroSoft then replaced.
    Now the problem here is that my replacement one just red ringed on Sunday.

So the confusion here is does the 3 year manufacturers warranty cover me from the date I bought the first console or when I got the replacement console (different console, presumably refurbished)?

I rang MS support and they say I have to pay as it's over 3 years from the date of purchase, not from when they replaced the console.
    I was pretty sure the warranty for the red rings of death was renewed with the replacement console but before I go spastic as some poor call centre agent, I wanted to double check where my actual rights are?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

afaik it is from the original purchase date as three years would be considered reasonable for a games console to last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's from when you originally purchased it. Otherwise someone could keep "breaking" the xbox, and get support for the rest of their life (some people have tried this with me, but failed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Any ideas?
    get a PS3. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

blue-army wrote: »
    get a PS3. ;)
    Same problem; different company (Blue Ray lasers stop working etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Warranty of the replacement part always 'dies' with the warranty of the original unit, you bought a 3 years warranty am afraid (or whatever warranty came with the original product).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I'd have to disagree with the advice above... the extended 3 year warranty from MS is a different type to the usual product warranty and was introduced specifically for RROD 360's only. All Xbox 360's have a one year warranty but this is extended to 3 years in certain circumstances.

This is, however, nothing to do with your original purchase as it's a completely different xbox which you now own that also has a 3 year warranty from the date fixed/received.

Check out the RROD thread in the Xbox forum for more info and advice

Advertisement