Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shared folders and type 3 log on/off

• 14-07-2009 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi there I'll try be as accurate as possible.
    I'm running xp sp3 on an amilo m6450g laptop (don't think laptop important).

Anyways I was checking the event viewer for something unrelated earlier and noticed annonymous user log on at random times (type 3). After a good google I found it was a network log on which has me worried about remote connections.

I went on a little wander and came across this "shared drive" part on the management. (see attached). Now, I'm good with computers and specifically xp.
    I cannot for the love of me remember if this is standard and if so I need to establish the source of this log on and also how to disable this folder if it is any sort of risk.

I appreciate all replies and if you need more info please let me know.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I just checked mine and sure enough anonymous logon was there for this morning and yesterday i dont think anyone else can access my network(i hope) so anonymous might be ok (dont quote me )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Do you have any torrents? It's the best I can come up with I'm a bit worried abot this shared folder

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

yes i use torrents but i have not been seeding or downloading for a few days
    I use comodo firewall (its free) it tells me if i have any outbound connections
    also unautorised inbound connections plus i sit behind my routers firewall, il have a look on msoft tecnet and see what they say

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IPC$ is a default share.

unless you have a good reason to share files, just turn off ALL sharing
    remove file and network sharing for all your network cards

IPC$ is a default share.

unless you have a good reason to share files, just turn off ALL sharing
    remove file and network sharing for all your network cards

HI,
    I have disabled sharing on the drive itself but this is still here. How do I disable this on the network? I'm on a wireless network, firewalled and generally secured.

Thanks again for all the replies. Sorry for all the q's I'm not asking you all to do the hard work but my knowledge of XP runs out around now lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Aside from what youve already done continue by moving everything out of your Shared folders into other places on the drive, like MyDocuments.

But that's the thing. I don't have a shared folder in use at all apart from one for a P2P network but even so there are only a couple of old files in there.

Advertisement