Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac 3 power washer

Options
  • 14-07-2009 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I have a Mac 3 power washer and it has stopped working all it does is spew out the water very slowly no pressure at all, I changed the fuse in it so there`s power there and I opened it up without going into the heart of it and I cleaned out what ever lines I could get at and still nothing.
    I guess the next step would be to open it up, so I`d like to know what should I do or be looking for, I aint no electrician so I dont want to wreck it once I `ve opened it up, any help would be greatful, its only over a year old.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

lewis wrote: »
    I have a Mac 3 power washer and it has stopped working all it does is spew out the water very slowly no pressure at all, I changed the fuse in it so there`s power there and I opened it up without going into the heart of it and I cleaned out what ever lines I could get at and still nothing.
    I guess the next step would be to open it up, so I`d like to know what should I do or be looking for, I aint no electrician so I dont want to wreck it once I `ve opened it up, any help would be greatful, its only over a year old.

If the pump isn't running then the mains water pressure will simply push open the inlet and outlet valves and flow gently through. I assume from your description that the motor isn't running (no noise?) so I'd look at the obvious first: Are the cables firmly held in the plug pins? A loose pin screw can stop everything.

Check the cable and make sure it hasn't got pinched or damaged somewhere.

If that's OK then check the washer on/off switch -- again look for loose or broken connections. If OK, and if you don't have a multimeter, then get a torch bulb, a battery, and a couple of short lengths of cable, connect them up and disconnect the switch connectors. Connect the lash up test kit to the terminals and operate the switch. If the bulb lights up when the switch is on the it's OK.

Then the pump motor. Again check connections. If OK, is the motor a capacitor start (ie does it have a grey metal cylinder about 4 in long and 1.5 in diameter fixed to it? If so the capacitor could have failed or its connections could be loose -- it happens although rarely. Don't touch the capacitor pins to check it or you could get quite an unpleasant surprise!

If everything so far checks out then you need a multimeter to go further. You can by a cheap one from all DIY stores. Use it to test the resistance of the motor having first disconnected it. If the resistance is high then the motor has burned out or its brushgear has failed or got stuck. If you are not electrically inclined then you have now reached the point of needing professional help I'm afraid.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Hmmmmmmmmm....riiiiiight, well I`ll give it a go and if I`m still alive I`ll let you know how I got on:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

lewis wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmmm....riiiiiight, well I`ll give it a go and if I`m still alive I`ll let you know how I got on:confused:

If you are not still alive then an update will not be required:D

Advertisement