Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Icing Sculptor Advice

Options
  • 14-07-2009 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I've been eyeing out the Wilton Icing Sculptor, it seems like something that could be a bit of fun as there're so many designs you can come up with, but I also don't like buying something (gadgety) that I've never physically seen before without reading reviews etc.

The problem is, I've read reviews that absolutely love this tool, and then reviews that think it's terrible (the most common problem being that the comb pieces seem to fall out :( )

Does anyone have one or has used one and can give me their opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭tscul32

mandym

you should try posting cake decorating questions on the cake & pie board. A few homebakers over there. Or if you ever use rollercoaster we have a great thread going on the recipes board.
    I haven't used this tool but did once get a pack that had 3 or 4 different combs. They vary bewteen teeth and roundy bits and did the job. In general I've found most of teh wilton stuf fto be ok, but it might be overkill. I've also found I've bought a few gadgets only to find that I really only use one or two elements of them that I could have got much more cheaply. Would you really do every cake differently or would you be more likely to just have one or two patterns you like and stick to them, in which case just get one or two combs for a few euro and way less finicky.
    This is the one I have and probably have only ever used 2 of them
    http://www.bakedeco.com/a/decorating-comb-set-880.htm

And if you ever find cakeboxes please post where. Used to get mine off capel st in dublin but they stopped doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

tscul32 wrote: »
    mandym

you should try posting cake decorating questions on the cake & pie board. A few homebakers over there. Or if you ever use rollercoaster we have a great thread going on the recipes board.
    I haven't used this tool but did once get a pack that had 3 or 4 different combs. They vary bewteen teeth and roundy bits and did the job. In general I've found most of teh wilton stuf fto be ok, but it might be overkill. I've also found I've bought a few gadgets only to find that I really only use one or two elements of them that I could have got much more cheaply. Would you really do every cake differently or would you be more likely to just have one or two patterns you like and stick to them, in which case just get one or two combs for a few euro and way less finicky.
    This is the one I have and probably have only ever used 2 of them
    http://www.bakedeco.com/a/decorating-comb-set-880.htm

And if you ever find cakeboxes please post where. Used to get mine off capel st in dublin but they stopped doing them.

I considered posting over in cakes & pies but wasn't sure if it was all things cake & pies, including things like decorating etc (if you know what I mean :) )

I know what you're saying about getting a simpler tool with a few varieties, there's a triangle shaped sculptor that I've seen that has 3 different sides which would probably be enough, I guess I just enjoy the thought of being able to do all sorts of things with one tool even if I never do use it all, lol. But yeah, I definitely know what you mean.

I'll let you know if I come across reasonably priced bulk cake boxes, no luck yet though. At the moment I've been ordering from http://cakestuff.bpweb.net/ their prices are very good, shipping too, as I've looked through many different sites & have compared prices (including the shipping). But for convenience & cost sake, I'd really prefer something local. Ah well!

Thanks for the help :)

Hi Mandy

I just had a look at that site you use, hadn't come across it before. Do you know what the delivery costs are to Ireland, couldn't find any details? I was looking at sugarshack only last night planning on placing an order but this place is a good bit cheaper as long as the delivery isn't outrageous.

Thanks
    T

Unfortunately the Wilton site I posted doesn't ship outside of the US, but there's an official Wilton distributor in the UK where I order my things from.

Knightsbridge PME

It was actually the cakestuff site I meant, but have just placed an order anyway and got the delivery costs. Thanks for the link.

• Advertisement

tscul32 wrote: »
    It was actually the cakestuff site I meant, but have just placed an order anyway and got the delivery costs. Thanks for the link.

Oh right! Sorry :) I thought you were referring to my first post ;)

Advertisement