Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me buil a gaming PC for 1000 - 1200 euros

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Guys,
    Anyone out there want to help me out?
    I have around 1000 euro to spend on a gaming PC and there are too many options out there at the moment. Build me a dream pc.
    go mad!:D

Thank's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

wait for core i5 from intel and various price cuts... as well direct x 11 is being released with windows 7 in late october so if you want a futureproof system keep saving till then and the new line of dx11 graphics cards

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hozeman wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Anyone out there want to help me out?
    I have around 1000 euro to spend on a gaming PC and there are too many options out there at the moment. Build me a dream pc.
    go mad!:D

Thank's

Unless you REALLY want to play some games now, likewise on the wait. 6 months down the line you can buy yourself a behemoth pc for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is nearly always going to be something to wait for though. Like you could wait for i5, then you could wait till i5 drops in price, then you could wait till i3 comes out! Its a never ending cycle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hozeman

Thank's but I don't wan't to wait,
    now is the time.:D
    Can somebody start me of f with a good case for around 120 euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Should a monitor or peripherals be included in the budget?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hozeman wrote: »
    Thank's but I don't wan't to wait,
    now is the time.:D
    Can somebody start me of f with a good case for around 120 euros?

yummy http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=347261

else get an antec of some sort for about 100 euro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

somakasvh wrote: »
    Should a monitor or peripherals be included in the budget?
    ^^this is important :)

You want to play current games maxed out yes?

Any idea of monitor size you want?

You'll need an OS as well so is that to be included in the 1000e ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Intel Core i7-920 Box 8192Kb, LGA1366 240,44 €

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel X58, ATX, PCI-Express 168,28 €

6GB Triple-Kit OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum Low-Voltage 90,77 €

Coolermaster HAF Mini 922M ohne Netzteil 88,87 €

Corsair TX750W 750 Watt 101,70 €

Sapphire HD 4890 Light Retail OC 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 182,85 €

Sapphire HD 4890 Light Retail OC 1GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 182,85 €

Samsung HD103UJ 1TB 32MB SATA II 71,35 €

Samsung SH-223F bare schwarz 25,78 €

total incl. VAT and excl. shipping costs
    1.152,89 €
    (this is got from hardwareversand.de ,they build it for you for €20 and deliver it for €30)
    Then download windows 7 for free and then buy when it comes out later this year.

Don't know if you want to overclock but it would be a good idea with that i7
    keep in mind that you will need a better cpu cooler to go anywhere with it.

Also something to ponder would be if you really need to spend that kind of money at all!!!
    Crysis is a game which is there or there abouts alone in terms of graphics requirements and no matter what you get in terms of graphics card you'll prob need to upgrade in 2 years time anyway.

My personal feeling towards buying a pc for gaming is first, look at what games you want to play. Second, look at the resolution of the screen you want to play them on then and finally, look up card reviews for those games and resolutions.

Then you can really find out how much you should spend.

Processors? People have said on this that supposedly a 2.4ghz dual core is enough to play any modern game (except for gta4). So again in reality you could only spend around €200 on your processor, motherboard and ram and still play all those games you wish to...

In the end it's completely up to you, the €500-€650 system you buy today will last a couple of years of play, who knows where your €1200 system will be then, probably still usable but in need of an upgrade?

The build i've given you here is just something i did really quick and i'm sure there are others who could improve it in some way.
    Check out the motherboard reviews and i really don't have a clue if you overclock both 4890's and the i7 if there'll be enough juice in 750 watt(think there is)

124wz05.png

If you need a monitor, spend the remaining money on a Samsung T240.

If you don't, then get an OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD to run the OS off of.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Assuming no monitor required, slight adjustment for more win:

HWVS140709.png

Improved on the mobo and RAM, and threw in a weapons-grade CPU cooler to boot. Not much difference in graphics cards, the Sapphire OC are a bit pricey at the moment (they're more expensive than the PowerColor Plus, which has the highest-binned RV790s out at the moment) . You should be able to OC nicely with this build.

• Advertisement

Thank's for the posts guys.

I would like to oc
    I would like a monitor

Thank for the suggestions.:)

Thanks Solitaire,

Would I really need two Club3D HD4890 1024MB, ATI Radeon HD4890, PCI-Express cards?:confused:

Solitaire wrote: »
    Improved on the mobo

It's debatable which board is better, although the gigabyte is generally regarded as quite a good overclocker, while the Asus is mediocre.
    and RAM,

An article about memory bandwidth vs latency on anandtech the other day suggested that gaming performance responded better to lower latency than higher bandwidth.
    and threw in a weapons-grade CPU cooler to boot.

On i7 anyway, the Mugen 2 is better than the Xigmatek

somakasvh wrote:
    It's debatable which board is better, although the gigabyte is generally regarded as quite a good overclocker, while the Asus is mediocre.

... And other websites say just the opposite :P I'm just not a fan of the retarded RAM arrangement on the UD3R (Sorry Gigabyte but that's basic maths fail - 4 is not a multiple of 3!) and the Asus has better sound (ALC1200), some websites have had better OC results on the budget P6T and I think the CrossFire arrangement is retarded on both boards (er, how in hell will the top card cool itself if its fan is buried in the second card wiseguys!). Plus I've had a very bad history with Gigabyte mobos blowing up on me... :mad: No such issues with any Asus that's come my way!
    An article about memory bandwidth vs latency on anandtech the other day suggested that gaming performance responded better to lower latency than higher bandwidth.

That RAM is very low-voltage and puts less stress on the i7's memory controller (wouldn't want that to cook off would we? :D) plus you have a whole 100mV of wiggle space to try and get the latency down (or clocks up, if you're still convinced that's the better way to go about things) and still not hit the rated critical max for the i7 (which 99% of triple-channel kits run at stock on)
    On i7 anyway, the Mugen 2 is better than the Xigmatek

Wow. Pics or it didn't happen! :P (actually I want to see the review for future reference :)) I like the Xiggy because its one of the best for LGA775 and AM2/3 without making too much of a racket in the process. And its dirt-cheap to boot. On X58 you're stuck with buying seperate mounting accessories for most coolers. And I wonder if said Mugen needs a mounting kit as well :P
    Hozeman wrote:
    Would I really need two Club3D HD4890 1024MB, ATI Radeon HD4890, PCI-Express cards?

Only if you had the budget... and I guess you don't if you need a monitor to boot :o

... And other websites say just the opposite :P I'm just not a fan of the retarded RAM arrangement on the UD3R (Sorry Gigabyte but that's basic maths fail - 4 is not a multiple of 3!) and the Asus has better sound (ALC1200), some websites have had better OC results on the budget P6T and I think the CrossFire arrangement is retarded on both boards (er, how in hell will the top card cool itself if its fan is buried in the second card wiseguys!). Plus I've had a very bad history with Gigabyte mobos blowing up on me... :mad: No such issues with any Asus that's come my way!

I can't debate further on the board vs board as theres not really very many reviews of the Asus online. You are correct, 4 is not a multiple of 3. Perhaps they should have gone the Foxconn route and just put 3 DIMM slots on the board. I doubt the OP will ever upgrade the RAM though. By the time 12GB is necessary, it'll more than likely be time for full system upgrade. Even if it does become necessary, most people would probably just buy a new 12GB kit rather than a 2nd 6GB kit (I found most people with Core 2 systems starting with 2x1GB kits upgraded to 2x2GB). As regards, the ALC1200; its feature set is pretty similar to the ALC888 on the gigabyte, and any difference in sound quality probably wouldn't be perceivable except to maybe audiophiles.

That RAM is very low-voltage and puts less stress on the i7's memory controller (wouldn't want that to cook off would we? :D) plus you have a whole 100mV of wiggle space to try and get the latency down (or clocks up, if you're still convinced that's the better way to go about things) and still not hit the rated critical max for the i7 (which 99% of triple-channel kits run at stock on)

Both kits are the same voltage...

Wow. Pics or it didn't happen! :P (actually I want to see the review for future reference :)) I like the Xiggy because its one of the best for LGA775 and AM2/3 without making too much of a racket in the process. And its dirt-cheap to boot. On X58 you're stuck with buying seperate mounting accessories for most coolers. And I wonder if said Mugen needs a mounting kit as well :P

This group test put it better than the Xigmatek Dark Knight (which is a nickel plated S1283).
    And this puts it above the vanilla S1283

It's hard to find reviews that put the two coolers up against each other and even harder to find tests on i7, but the Mugen 2 has been known to outperform the TRUE on i7 on at least one occasion.

D'oh. I was looking at Effluo's post rather than yours... didn't notice you'd specced G.Skill as well... :o

And thanks for the links, seeing quite a discrepancy between their results and FrostyTech's... wish FT would review the Mugen 2 anyway... Main reason I like the S1283 is because of price:noise:performance, not because "its the bestest 1337est cooler evar" :D

Frostytech's results don't always translate well to the real world however. Because they just cool a heatplate, it's not perfectly representative of a real CPU's heatzones, etc. For example, the TRUE uses a slightly curved contact plate so it would mate well with LGA775 heatspreaders.

Greta discussion guys.

This is what I wanted.

I have 1000 euro to spend on the comp itself and the remaining 200+ for a monitor but i can give either way for the right components.

I take it ye are all going with the i7 rather than the AMD.:rolleyes:

Only because we have a grand to play with! lol.gif If you had a smaller budget we'd drop down to either a X4 Black Edition or a Q9550 build, lower than that and most would recommend an X3-720BE.

What do ye think of this package?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=125622:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

That is an an ageing build, stay well clear of it, can do MUCH better than that.

Thanks Marco

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

To give you an idea of the price of the AMD build option, here is my effort at what I think would be of a reasonable gaming build (Be gentle on me lads I didn't spend too much time on it :D). Should be able to bring it in with a good monitor for just under 1000 E. But if 1200ish is no probs then why not go for the i7 route :).

It is what I would have built a few months ago if I had an extra 100 - 150 bucks in my pocket at the time (Essentially I swaped the X4 for a X3, The HD4890 for a HD4870, the Antec 900 for the 300, and the OCZ Platinum memory for the substantially inferior Gold Edition stuff - My biggest mistake :( )

85081.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Thats a nice AMD build, id definately go for that over the i7 build.

Although would be worth throwing in the 4890 toxic (€30 more) for a few extra fps, quieter fan and ability to overclock past 1000Mhz. A modular PSU too maybe. Antec NeoPower 650 at €92. Or the OCZ ModXStream 700w for €84 (no idea what these two are like, but reliable brands)

Anyway Marco Polos build would allow you to get a good monitor for gaming for instance BenQ E2400HD or an equivalent Asus or whatever. You would also have some change left over.

Anyway ill be off, im not a big believer in i7 anyway so......

Advertisement