Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheney in trouble again!

Options
  • 14-07-2009 3:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/12/AR2009071202118.html?hpid=topnews

With a possible investigation under way on what Cheney and his neo-cons were up to what else will appear from this period.

Also find it significant that Bush has said nothing since leaving office, yet Cheney is all talk defending his record. Make you wonder who was actually running things in the white house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bush made an appearance on July 4th. Youd have to have been watching Fox news to catch it though. Unsurprisingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ehhkkkk Foxnews. I suppose they look at Bush and they say to themselves "them were the days", with a tear in their eye.

Theres news coverage on Fox one way or the other. Opinoniated of course, but news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

An obvious smokescreen to cover for Pelosi putting her foot in her mouth about the Interrogation Methods.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

WaPo does have a point about it being a seemingly manufactured issue. There is no requirement to brief Congress on plans unless they're to be put into action. If Cheney wanted something kept particularly quiet, there's nothing unlawful about it, and it was probably rather the better course.

NTM

• Advertisement

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    An obvious smokescreen to cover for Pelosi putting her foot in her mouth about the Interrogation Methods.

LOL! Conspiracy forum this way -->>

I wouldnt rule it out. Top Echelon Party Politics and all that. And the media is fickle. News gets swept under bigger news all the effing time.

Its almost sad how little control Obama has over his own Cabinet and party. He does not want the photos out and he doesn't want any "War Crimes" investigation [or any kind of circus involved with that] and yet Holder and co are still pushing it. No wonder people think of him as an empty suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Its almost sad how little control Obama has over his own Cabinet and party. He does not want the photos out and he doesn't want any "War Crimes" investigation [or any kind of circus involved with that] and yet Holder and co are still pushing it. No wonder people think of him as an empty suit.
    So you'd prefer then, that the president have the power to stop investigations of wrong-doing?

RedPlanet wrote: »
    So you'd prefer then, that the president have the power to stop investigations of wrong-doing?

He said he doesn't want them. That should be the end of it. Either the President is in charge or he isn't.

And dousing water on 3 Al-Queida soldiers being considered "wrong-doing" is speculative at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

He said he doesn't want them. That should be the end of it. Either the President is in charge or he isn't.

So you don't support the Constitutional separation of powers? Checks and balances? You're all for the enthronement of King Obama?

So you don't support the Constitutional separation of powers? Checks and balances? You're all for the enthronement of King Obama?

I think its safe to say everybody here will laugh at that thought. Obama said he wanted to drop to put the issue to rest but the rest want to drag it on. Whether its intentional or not it does look like they are undermining his stance on the issue.

Yeah that bit about King Obama was sarcasm. But you've been complaining about Obamabots, you should be glad that the Dems don't unquestioningly support his every decision just to protect him politically. And re the investigation, he doesn't want it, but ultimately it isn't up to him. That's the way it should be.

Yeah that bit about King Obama was sarcasm. But you've been complaining about Obamabots, you should be glad that the Dems don't unquestioningly support his every decision just to protect him politically. And re the investigation, he doesn't want it, but ultimately it isn't up to him. That's the way it should be.

I don't mind them supporting mindlessly on everything but this whole thing nothing more than a waste of time and drumming manufactured outrage when it was pretty obvious Pelosi knew what was going on. This is nothing more than a waste of time that will more than likely end up with nothing happening to Bush, Cheney, CIA officials or anybody from that admin. They did everything they were allowed to do [despite what Pelosi wants to say now] and saved countless American lives.

I'm reserving judgement on this story. We don't know what the program entailed, why Cheney ordered it kept secret, why it was kept secret from Panetta (or why it was eventually revealed to him), or why he cancelled it, and we have only the statements of a couple of anonymous sources within the CIA that it was never operational.

Drip, drip, drip.

I think its safe to say everybody here will laugh at that thought. Obama said he wanted to drop to put the issue to rest but the rest want to drag it on. Whether its intentional or not it does look like they are undermining his stance on the issue.

Its called politics...fancy that!?:pac:

jank wrote: »
    Its called politics...fancy that!?:pac:

The opposition trying to undermine the sitting President is nothing new. The sitting President's own party doing it is new. I guess we can say he did deliver on the "Change" part of his campaign slogan. The President's own party undermining him is definitely a change. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

You have that arse-ways JohnMc1. The dems are not "undermining" Obama, infact Obama is not part of the investigations, they are not investigating Obama.
    What's happening is that they are investigating wrong-doing of the previous administration.
    Obama should not have the pwer to stop that.

If he did, then Nixon could have stopped Watergate from being investigated and USA would have had a crook whom breached the Constitution of the United States running the country.
    But i'm thinking your commitment to the Constitution of your country is tenuous at best.

RedPlanet wrote: »
    You have that arse-ways JohnMc1. The dems are not "undermining" Obama, infact Obama is not part of the investigations, they are not investigating Obama.
    What's happening is that they are investigating wrong-doing of the previous administration.
    Obama should not have the pwer to stop that.

Wrong doing being subjective at best. This is nothing nothing more than a somekscreen to cover up Cap and Trade passing and the new Hate bill passing.

The majority of Americans don't care about this [except for the fringe groups on both sides] never did and never will. They're more concerned about the economy and how they're going to live with their taxes going up each time a new bill gets passed.

The opposition trying to undermine the sitting President is nothing new. The sitting President's own party doing it is new. I guess we can say he did deliver on the "Change" part of his campaign slogan. The President's own party undermining him is definitely a change. :rolleyes:

You obviously dont have a clue then about US history!

• Advertisement

You obviously dont have a clue then about US history!

Neither do you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

And dousing water on 3 Al-Queida soldiers being considered "wrong-doing" is speculative at best.

The police in the UK took only a week I believe to torture false confessions out of members of the Guildford 4 and Birmingham 6. They put innocent people in prison using fairly 'light' torture methods. It is wrong-doing, both technically and on principle, especially when trying to hold the moral high ground after trying to 'free' a country who's leader tortured and had secret prisons.

The Stasi however found that repeated interrogation was much more effective and produced much more accurate results.

I agree that Cheney is a lot more vocal recently, but every time he speaks it becoming increasingly apparent that he is a very bitter angry paranoid man who has made a great many mistakes and miscalculations. During his strange obsession with Iraq, NK went nuclear, Pakistan became a total hotbed of extremism and Afghanistan (until recently) was largely ignored. Saving lives? 4000 US dead in Iraq.

He has been one of the greatest recruiting tools for Al Qaeda.

I don't mind them supporting mindlessly on everything but this whole thing nothing more than a waste of time and drumming manufactured outrage when it was pretty obvious Pelosi knew what was going on. This is nothing more than a waste of time that will more than likely end up with nothing happening to Bush, Cheney, CIA officials or anybody from that admin. They did everything they were allowed to do [despite what Pelosi wants to say now] and saved countless American lives.

Sorry, I just cant let this statement pass..you seem to forgive bush and cheney their misdemeanours, while you seem upset that Pelosi may have known about them?..Are you serious?..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think the distinction there is that Bush/Cheney are fairly unapologetic about it, they stand by their actions whether you agree with them or not, whilst Pelosi appears to be sortof ebbing with the tide: On one side before it went public, and now indignant about the whole process and trying to distance herself from it since it's made the news. One group are trying to run the country, the other is playing politics.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/12/AR2009071202118.html?hpid=topnews

With a possible investigation under way on what Cheney and his neo-cons were up to what else will appear from this period.

Also find it significant that Bush has said nothing since leaving office, yet Cheney is all talk defending his record. Make you wonder who was actually running things in the white house.

I think the ones not talking were actually running the show.Personally I feel that Cheney is just been used as a scapegoat( dont get me wrong...he was just as culpable)...but if you look deeply into the Bush family(heirachy)...I doubt if George Bush 2 was a puppet...he knew exactly waht he was doing or (what he is doing)...

Advertisement