Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this rare??

• 14-07-2009 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

quick question...

i sold hoogets to a man, 2 years ago--texel x..+my ram=texel ram! only 10 in total..
    he has them lamb xmas/early jan this year!
    and now there lambing again...2 lambed last week--1 this week..rest are springing! any1 see this before?ram was with them the whole time...knew a cow could hav twice in the one year..so so far he has had 4 lambs per ewe for 2009...not bad!
    sheep are in good order--loads of milk+great lambs at foot now!
    there earlier lambs were sold,in May/june!
    will they come in season again? for spring 09??? say they will--nex august/september..no?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

wiggy123 wrote: »
    quick question...

i sold hoogets to a man, 2 years ago--texel x..+my ram=texel ram! only 10 in total..
    he has them lamb xmas/early jan this year!
    and now there lambing again...2 lambed last week--1 this week..rest are springing! any1 see this before?ram was with them the whole time...knew a cow could hav twice in the one year..so so far he has had 4 lambs per ewe for 2009...not bad!
    sheep are in good order--loads of milk+great lambs at foot now!
    there earlier lambs were sold,in May/june!
    will they come in season again? for spring 09??? say they will--nex august/september..no?

No It is fairly common especially if the ewes are in good order & well fed.
    They usually have the second batch maybe august or september, & are are often to referred to as "cuckoo" lambs, basically I think because the ewes were mated around the time the cuckoo arrives.

Most likely the ewes will mate again this year but maybe not lamb as early next time round.

On a side note I went to my first sheep sale this year,(had been supplying a factory & an a abattoir up to now.

Lambs were a tough trade, need a good butcher's lamb to come to €90. factory lambs making about €25-35 over the weight.

A large entry of cull ewes met a brisk demand making up to €105 per head.

A small entry of PB Texel & Suffolk shearling rams sold from €350 to €500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

seen that..cull ewes are selling well
    lambs are back..a fair bit--strange that,because from my opinion-sheep numbers are back across the country..so prob fewer lambs-which u'd think,would improve prices-not so!
    say b a good trade for nice ewe lambs+hoggets this year!high prices...

Advertisement