Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Red Bull' Salzburg v Bohs Champions League preview

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

RTE have surpassed themselves on the news on 2, top sports stories were the Chelsea suspension reductions and Adebayor's potential move to Man City then, when they got to Bohs in Europe, no footage of the game... Sometimes I despair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Well done Boh's...truly chuffed for you.

heres hoping you can hold out in the 2nd leg...Olympiakos next...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Not an avid LOI follower by any means, but well done to Bohs. Always good to see Irish sides showing competitively against a favoured european side. Woould have been nice if the game was on TV.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fcuking delighted :D Really have a genuine chance of getting to the next round

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Eirebear wrote: »
    Well done Boh's...truly chuffed for you.

heres hoping you can hold out in the 2nd leg...Olympiakos next...:eek:

No wonder Paul Hartley wouldnt move to Olympiakos last month!! He didnt want to face Bohs!!:D

The draw is on Friday, according to a poster on foot its one of the below.

Olympiakos
    FC København/Mogren
    Slavia Praha
    Levski Sofia/Sant Julià
    Partizan Belgrade/Rhyl
    Maccabi Haifa/Glentoran
    Dinamo Zagreb/Pyunik
    FC Zürich
    Wisla Kraków/Levadia Tallinn
    BATE Borisov/Makedonija

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

bohsman wrote: »
    Murphy for Ireland ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

bohsman wrote: »
    The draw is on Friday, according to a poster on foot its one of the below.

Olympiakos
    FC København/Mogren
    Slavia Praha
    Levski Sofia/Sant Julià
    Partizan Belgrade/Rhyl
    Maccabi Haifa/Glentoran
    Dinamo Zagreb/Pyunik
    FC Zürich
    Wisla Kraków/Levadia Tallinn
    BATE Borisov/Makedonija

so it is, i read the wiki page wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

stovelid wrote: »
    Lisburn|1 - 5|Zestafoni
    Zestafoni|6 - 0|Lisburn
    Randers|4 - 0|Linfield
    Linfield|0 - 3|Randers
    M. Haifa|6 - 0|Glentoran

One goal scored and twenty-four conceded in 5 games - you do sort of wonder why they bother.

:o

EDIT: Sorry, I stand corrected - Crusaders drew 1-1 last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Heard the result from three young lads in Bohs jerseys who were walking past my road last night as I was driving in, the lads were locked, stumbling around the place, sound as a pound and bloody delighted with themselves. I had a smile from ear to ear when they told me the result and it reminded me of watching Robbie Best cleaning up in front of Dave Henderson back in the 90's!

Fingers crossed Bohs can keep it going and take a great opportunity to progress.

Also, I really hope that the Austrian fans get a good reception in Dublin and there is no crap from fans or just scumbags in general, the last thing anyone involved with the league or clubs needs is for us to go down the road of European clubs seeing us as a dodgy place to go for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

RTE have surpassed themselves on the news on 2, top sports stories were the Chelsea suspension reductions and Adebayor's potential move to Man City then, when they got to Bohs in Europe, no footage of the game... Sometimes I despair!
    I don't think they realise that constantly showing the league will increase the interest. Sky sports news may as well be the cricket channel atm and I've no doubt it's getting them a lot more viewers for the games. The Dutch league now have every single game televised and their league attendances are up something like 20%.

There was thousands of people watching the live stream last night. Almost as many as the Liverpool game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Is the next leg next week? Anyone any idea of how many tickets are left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I read in the paper this morning that Austrian police have admitted that it may not have been Bohs fans who injured the woman.

They said there had been fans of some English clubs in the city a few days before and it may have been some of them.

Hopefully it'll turn out that the Bohs supporters had nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I read in the paper this morning that Austrian police have admitted that it may not have been Bohs fans who injured the woman.

They said there had been fans of some English clubs in the city a few days before and it may have been some of them.

Link please (for Des's benefit, since he's partial to 'official' statements).
    There were Stoke fans there too, and some other outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

eoin99 wrote: »
    Drawn against Pyunik (Armenia)/Dinamo Zagreb if we go through

fyp :D

Also: is Sheriff the coolest name for a football team ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

They were certainly the toughest bunch I ever played against in Schoolboy football!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

stovelid wrote: »
    Also: is Sheriff the coolest name for a football team ever?
    Cooler than Go Ahead Eagles? I think not.

SectionF wrote: »
    Link please (for Des's benefit, since he's partial to 'official' statements).
    There were Stoke fans there too, and some other outfit.

The original stroy i read was from the star but they don't have a proper website.

However theres this from the Examiner although it does'nt mention police statements saying they may have been wrong to suspect Bohs fans.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sngbojsney/rss2/

eoin99 wrote: »

Not a bad draw. If Bohs beat Salzburg they have every chance of beating either of these teams as well.

At this stage Id be shocked if Bohs fans were involved, theres enough people that would have outed those involved privately or on the forums that we'd all know who was involved.

Police spokesman Bruno Wurhofer told Austrian Times officers were still hunting the three men. He explained: "The search for them is difficult. The descriptions given by witnesses are not very clear because everything happened so quickly. We haven’t got many details we can build on."
    http://austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2009-07-16/14761/Elderly_woman_still_critical_after_collision_with_Irish_trio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bought des kelly tickets. Feck it, apparently the away fans will be close by. Should be good craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Myself and mate are planning to go to this. Should we book tickets in advance or will we be able to get tickets at the ground on the day? Are ye expecting a sell out?

Don't know... Jodi Stand is sold out and apparently the Shed is going fast. I hightailed it to Dalymount yest specifically to get tickets. I would book in advance if I wanted to be sure.

Here's Sean Ryan of the Sindo on it:
    While 10,000 Ronaldo fans will pack Tallaght Stadium tomorrow night to see Real play Shamrock Rovers, true football fans are likely to keep their money in their pockets for the real deal at Dalymount Park on Wednesday, when Bohemians play Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League second qualifying round.

In Tallaght, most excitement will probably be engendered from the battle to secure Ronaldo's shirt, whereas Bohemians are on the verge of an historic breakthrough in Europe, having secured a merited 1-1 draw in Salzburg in the first leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

How is it historic? :eek: It's still effectively the old QR1, with 2 more QR's before the groups.

• Advertisement

Töpher wrote: »
    How is it historic? :eek: It's still effectively the old QR1, with 2 more QR's before the groups.

well Bohs were underdogs and havent won a champions league tie in........?????????????????????????????????

Töpher wrote: »
    It's still effectively the old QR1, with 2 more QR's before the groups.
    Wrong. This is the second qualifying round, with the winner to play in the third and final qualifying round.

Here's the format, from uefa:
    • Champions Path: The first qualifying round comprises two two-legged ties involving the champions of the countries ranked 50 to 53 in UEFA competition. The winners of those ties progress to the second qualifying round where they are joined by the champions of the 32 countries ranked 17 to 49 (except Liechtenstein). The victorious sides from those 17 ties join the champions from the associations ranked 14 to 16 in the third qualifying round, with the winners of those ten pairings reaching the play-off round. These five play-off ties will take place on a home-and-away basis with the winners qualifying for the UEFA Champions League group stage.

• Non-Champions Path: The third-placed side from the sixth-ranked member association, plus the runners-up from the associations ranked 7 to 15, start the competition in the third qualifying round. The winners of these five ties progress to the play-off round, where they are joined by the fourth-placed sides from the associations ranked 1 to 3 and the third-placed teams from the associations ranked 4 and 5. The victorious teams from the five play-off ties qualify for the UEFA Champions League group stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If you get tickets is the box office for collection at the match?

I is noob.

Don't know... Jodi Stand is sold out and apparently the Shed is going fast. I hightailed it to Dalymount yest specifically to get tickets. I would book in advance if I wanted to be sure.

Here's Sean Ryan of the Sindo on it:

Didn't see it as I don't buy the Sindo (I prefer Tesco Jax roll), but I'm sure the 3-4 thousand tickets that were sold in the season ticket holder window alone didn't go to Ronaldo fans. :)

Wrong. This is the second qualifying round, with the winner to play in the third and final qualifying round.

Here's the format, from uefa:

Eh wrong. Read your own link.

How is it wrong?

CHD wrote: »
    If you get tickets is the box office for collection at the match?

I is noob.

Think so. It'll give you the option in the checkout process.

How is it wrong?

I think theyve changed it now, so that once Bohs win this they go into the third qualifying round, but then must play another game against one of those special grouped teams (Arsenal and the likes)

I could be wrong but thats how I read it last week. Its not v clear to be fair

Edit: called a playoff round I believe

The first qualifying round comprises two two-legged ties involving the champions of the countries ranked 50 to 53 in UEFA competition. The winners of those ties progress to the second qualifying round where they are joined by the champions of the 32 countries ranked 17 to 49 (except Liechtenstein). The victorious sides from those 17 ties join the champions from the associations ranked 14 to 16 in the third qualifying round, with the winners of those ten pairings reaching the play-off round. These five play-off ties will take place on a home-and-away basis with the winners qualifying for the UEFA Champions League group stage.

Trilla wrote: »
    I think theyve changed it now, so that once Bohs win this they go into the third qualifying round, but then must play another game against one of those special grouped teams (Arsenal and the likes)

I could be wrong but thats how I read it last week. Its not v clear to be fair

Edit: called a playoff round I believe

The first qualifying round comprises two two-legged ties involving the champions of the countries ranked 50 to 53 in UEFA competition. The winners of those ties progress to the second qualifying round where they are joined by the champions of the 32 countries ranked 17 to 49 (except Liechtenstein). The victorious sides from those 17 ties join the champions from the associations ranked 14 to 16 in the third qualifying round, with the winners of those ten pairings reaching the play-off round. These five play-off ties will take place on a home-and-away basis with the winners qualifying for the UEFA Champions League group stage.
    Yes, if Bohs overcome Salzburg, then we are in the third qualifying round. This seems to be the most authoritative take so far:
    • If we beat Salzburg, but are beaten in the third round*, we at least go to the play-offs for the Europa League
    • If we beat Salzburg, progress through the third round, and then lose in the CL play-offs, we go straight to the Europa League group stages.

So, with a home game and an away goal in hand, we are one win away from the EL play-offs.

I don't know if it's historic, but I do know that this is a potentially very big day for Bohemians and for Irish football. Salzburg are very, very good, but they showed last week that they don't like pressure. I urge all Irish football fans, even if you've never been to a LoI game in your life, to get behind the team and help us make this breakthrough!

* v. Pyunik or Zagreb

I, for one, will put prejudice aside and inform all that I have every intention of attending Dalyer for a vitally important match this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I fucking hate Bhs but for the good of Irish football i hope they go through.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Go Ahead Eagles?
    MEH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

They have a good chance to get to the CL Playoff games. They'll probably lose there (as would any other LOI club), but if that puts them straight into the EL then fair play to Bohs and it's great for Irish football.

Sarge wrote: »
    I fucking hate Bhs but for the good of Irish football i hope they go through.

I hate the haters but I feel the love

Yes, if Bohs overcome Salzburg, then we are in the third qualifying round. This seems to be the most authoritative take so far:
    • If we beat Salzburg, but are beaten in the third round*, we at least go to the play-offs for the Europa League
    • If we beat Salzburg, progress through the third round, and then lose in the CL play-offs, we go straight to the Europa League group stages.

So, with a home game and an away goal in hand, we are one win away from the EL play-offs.

I don't know if it's historic, but I do know that this is a potentially very big day for Bohemians and for Irish football. Salzburg are very, very good, but they showed last week that they don't like pressure. I urge all Irish football fans, even if you've never been to a LoI game in your life, to get behind the team and help us make this breakthrough!

* v. Pyunik or Zagreb

If we beat Salzburg we play in the 3rd round v Pyunik/Zagreb. Lose that we go into UEFA qualifying round. Win we go into the (4th) Qualifying round - still only v Champions of other leagues that dont automatically qualify. Win we go to CL group stages, lose we go to Europa group stages.

So beat Salzburg, gtd 2 more rounds in Europe. Beat Pyunik/Zagreb gtd group stages of some sort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If Bohs get to the group stage of the CL or EL it would be massive for the domestic game, wish you lot all the luck in the world lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Seaneh wrote: »
    If Bohs get to the group stage of the CL or EL it would be massive for the domestic game, wish you lot all the luck in the world lads.

Well Champions League is impossible. No reason they can't get into the Europa League.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Well Champions League is impossible. No reason they can't get into the Europa League.

Practically impossible yes. But at least UEFA have made it a bit easier this year. No more getting the likes of Deportivo in the 4th QR. Champions of the 14th highest ranked league in Europe is the most difficult draw possible on paper.

dsmythy wrote: »

No it's not. This is probably the best chance ever. Although Salzburg will probably hammer them! No better man than Nutsie to keep their mind on that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Paparazzo wrote: »
    No it's not. This is probably the best chance ever. Although Salzburg will probably hammer them! No better man than Nutsie to keep their mind on that game.

Tbh hes right LOI sides should be looking at Europa League groups at the very best hope of a european breakthrough. Absolute madness to think we will get in to CL groups, I hope Bohs make it as far as possible but they wont be in the CL groups no irish side will be possibly ever.

Advertisement