Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Red Bull' Salzburg v Bohs Champions League preview

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Tbh hes right LOI sides should be looking at Europa League groups at the very best hope of a european breakthrough. Absolute madness to think we will get in to CL groups, I hope Bohs make it as far as possible but they wont be in the CL groups no irish side will be possibly ever.

You honestly dont think an Irish team will ever be good enough to beat the Swiss champions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

bohsman wrote: »
    You honestly dont think an Irish team will ever be good enough to beat the Swiss champions?

So we only have to beat 1 team to get into the Groups.....Awesome :D

Reality we have 3 rounds before that and in those rounds luck of the draw dictates how far we get, we lost 2-0 to hertha last season 5th in germany who had 15 internationals and tbh 2-0 flattered them. Dont be getting carried away into thinking your even close to these teams.

Just aswell we cant draw a German team. We've already gotten really unlucky drawing Salzburg and we're still rightly massive underdogs. Somehow keep a clean sheet we have a better draw in the next round in which going through would guarantee us Europa league stages. But I really dont think any of 3 of these are impossible.

Switzerland
    Greece
    Belgium
    Bulgaria
    Czech Republic
    Norway
    Cyprus
    Slovakia
    Israel
    Sweden
    Serbia
    Poland
    Austria
    Croatia
    Belarus
    Finland
    Ireland
    Lithuania
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Latvia
    Slovenia
    Moldova
    Iceland
    Georgia
    Macedonia
    Hungary
    Azerbaijan
    Kazakhstan
    Albania
    Estonia
    Liechtenstein
    Armenia
    Wales
    Montenegro
    Faroe Islands
    Northern Ireland
    Luxembourg
    Andorra
    Malta
    San Marino

Just aswell we cant draw a German team. We've already gotten really unlucky drawing Salzburg and we're still rightly massive underdogs. Somehow keep a clean sheet we have a better draw in the next round in which going through would guarantee us Europa league stages. But I really dont think any of 3 of these are impossible.

Switzerland
    Greece
    Belgium
    Bulgaria
    Czech Republic
    Norway
    Cyprus
    Slovakia
    Israel
    Sweden
    Serbia
    Poland
    Austria
    Croatia
    Belarus
    Finland
    Ireland
    Lithuania
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Latvia
    Slovenia
    Moldova
    Iceland
    Georgia
    Macedonia
    Hungary
    Azerbaijan
    Kazakhstan
    Albania
    Estonia
    Liechtenstein
    Armenia
    Wales
    Montenegro
    Faroe Islands
    Northern Ireland
    Luxembourg
    Andorra
    Malta
    San Marino

Europa league is a possibility a slim one, but CL groups is an impossibility. Too many far superior teams in your final round and even IF you managed a lucky draw your still going to going up against a very strong team.

Good luck and all with weds, Bohs are the best hope of a couple of points on the coeff but not a chance of CL groups.

Not that i care about coeffs , we wont be in Europe next year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Europa league is a possibility a slim one, but CL groups is an impossibility. Too many far superior teams in your final round and even IF you managed a lucky draw your still going to going up against a very strong team.
    Could Bohs beat Copenhagen, Slavia Prague, Levski Sofia, Partizan? I think so. In fact I'd say Salzburg are stronger most of the teams they could face in the final round. But that's a long way off atm.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Could Bohs beat Copenhagen, Slavia Prague, Levski Sofia, Partizan? I think so. In fact I'd say Salzburg are stronger most of the teams they could face in the final round. But that's a long way off atm.

They wouldnt stand a chance vs any of those sides, deluded to think they would. Bohs are the best irish side in a long time to cope with Europe but there are far better teams out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Tbh hes right LOI sides should be looking at Europa League groups at the very best hope of a european breakthrough. Absolute madness to think we will get in to CL groups, I hope Bohs make it as far as possible but they wont be in the CL groups no irish side will be possibly ever.

I think the only absolute madness is your post! If Bohs win tomorrow they'll get zagreb/pjunick. Shels beat Hadjuk Split a few years ago, they finished second to Zagreb last season. To say it's impossible, or "madness" to get to the group stages is, well - madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

They wouldnt stand a chance vs any of those sides, deluded to think they would. Bohs are the best irish side in a long time to cope with Europe but there are far better teams out there.
    They stand a chance against Salzburg...

I actually think Salzburg will still underestimate Bohs on Wednesday and are in for a surprise. They're a different team at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think the only absolute madness is your post! If Bohs win tomorrow they'll get zagreb/pjunick. Shels beat Hadjuk Split a few years ago, they finished second to Zagreb last season. To say it's impossible, or "madness" to get to the group stages is, well - madness!

They'd have to beat Athletico Madrid or Arsenal to get into the Champions League. Not going to happen. Presuming you're referring to the CL because the guy you were responding to was talking about having no chance in the CL but some chance to get into the EL.

dsmythy wrote: »
    They'd have to beat Athletico Madrid or Arsenal to get into the Champions League. Not going to happen. Presuming you're referring to the CL because the guy you were responding to was talking about having no chance in the CL but some chance to get into the EL.

No they wouldnt. A major positive part of Platinis reform.

• Champions Path: The first qualifying round comprises two two-legged ties involving the champions of the countries ranked 50 to 53 in UEFA competition. The winners of those ties progress to the second qualifying round where they are joined by the champions of the 32 countries ranked 17 to 49 (except Liechtenstein). The victorious sides from those 17 ties join the champions from the associations ranked 14 to 16 in the third qualifying round, with the winners of those ten pairings reaching the play-off round. These five play-off ties will take place on a home-and-away basis with the winners qualifying for the UEFA Champions League group stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

No they wouldnt. A major positive part of Platinis reform.

• Champions Path: The first qualifying round comprises two two-legged ties involving the champions of the countries ranked 50 to 53 in UEFA competition. The winners of those ties progress to the second qualifying round where they are joined by the champions of the 32 countries ranked 17 to 49 (except Liechtenstein). The victorious sides from those 17 ties join the champions from the associations ranked 14 to 16 in the third qualifying round, with the winners of those ten pairings reaching the play-off round. These five play-off ties will take place on a home-and-away basis with the winners qualifying for the UEFA Champions League group stage.

It's all very confusing. So if Bohs were to beat Salzburg and Zagreb they are at the playoff stage. Bohs would be in the champions side of the draw right? I guess that does rule out Arsenal and Atletico. Looking at it now it's not an impossibility. Thanks to the rules changes more than anything.

Hardest game would be against Olympiacos or FC Copenhagen. Now that i think i understand it's not an impossiblity. Depends heavily if they can avoid those two though.

It's all very confusing. So if Bohs were to beat Salzburg and Zagreb they are at the playoff stage. Bohs would be in the champions side of the draw right? I guess that does rule out Arsenal and Atletico. Looking at it now it's not an impossibility. Thanks to the rules changes more than anything.

Hardest game would be against Olympiacos or FC Copenhagen. Now that i think i understand it's not an impossiblity. More improbable.

Exactly, see the list of possible countries champions on the previous page. On paper the toughest possible draw is the Swiss champions, agree that its very improbable.

Hardest game would be against Olympiacos or FC Copenhagen. Now that i think i understand it's not an impossiblity. Depends heavily if they can avoid those two though.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedcl2009.html

Explains it all, Bohs are 1.899 and lowest team they could face in final qual are 23.

The numbers on this site are pretty accurate and its rare that a non seed beats a top seed.

Pats did it twice last season tho ;) (in fairness thanks to lucky draw and a team who assumed they had wont the tie after 30 minutes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I only realised now that there are 4 qualifying rounds...

So, from what I can see, although the new format of having a Champions qualifying gives more weight to teams that win their league, Bohemians now have an extra round to get through...

Am I reading this correctly? I was wondering before all right that the numbers didn't add up, that there was a round missing...

No, the 1st Q round is between 4 countries - San Marino etc. Bohs came in in the 2nd just missing out on being seeded. Also just getting to the 3rd round would be massive as we'd go into the final Europa league qualifier if we lose that.

Advertisement