Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The couple that plays together, stays together...

• 14-07-2009 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

After playing Wow for the last 6 months or so, I've finally managed to convince the Other Half to give it a go. It took a shiny new Inspiron to sweeten the deal, but at last she's running about Teldrassil killing boars and the like. It's her first RPG, she's more of a Tetris/Solitare fan (though she's blitzing her way through Farm Town on FaceBook!) I'd forgotten how tough it is to get the hang of the UI, even stuff like walking and following the map is a challenge for her.

As my main is a L51 Hunter, would I be better off leveling an alt alongside her character for the craic and instances etc? Or is she better off leveling on her own, with the occasional boost/gold donation from me? I really want her to have as much fun as I do, but I'm wary of putting her off by constantly telling her the "best" way to achieve X or Y.

Any other Wow couples on here? Any tips or secrets to a happy Wow relationship?

(And no, I don't feel guilty about getting a loved one addicted to Wow, not even a little bit... :D )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I think you should roll another toon, and lvl with her. Lots of married or bf/gf in the guild im in. And you can see they lvl together. More fun i would think then been out on your own trying to figure the game out.

Have not done this my self, as the miss's does not play games what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Maybe check with her and see what she thinks. I know a few people who've really enjoyed levelling up compliamentary characters (eg healer hybrid and tank hybrid) together (I think 3.2 will make this a good bit easier since the person who's ahead on xp can turn off their levelling to allow their partner to catch up, or if one person plays more than the other this would be useful too).

Definately try to decide things together though, don't be "leading" all the time or it will quickly become "your" game and she wont feel she has anything to contribute and may lose interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shoulda done RAF....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Thanks folks! I've a L11 mage, I was goona switch to, but it might make more sense to roll something that'll compliment her NElf druid... I'll have a chat with her and se what she thinks.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Shoulda done RAF....

She's still on the trial sub, I think I can still RAF before she upgrades to a full account?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 skittlesej

I started playing WoW with my boyfriend lately and the only advice I can give is give her time to get used to the game! When I started playing my bf started a new character and leveled with me but we'd be doing quests together and he'd just go "follow me" and I found it hard to get used to the map and stuff if I was just following him all the time. Give her space to get used to it but be available to give her a hand when she needs it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

2 Espressi wrote: »

She's still on the trial sub, I think I can still RAF before she upgrades to a full account?

Nope she needs to make the account via the RAF trial key you send her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Me and the other half play a good bit. Sometimes it's fun to have a personal healer/combat ress, and it's easy to get aggro back off her toon, but we argue a good bit about some things. We don't PVP anymore :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

My misus hates games, im sure we would get on alot better if she would just play WoW:P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Promised my misses when we move into our own house ill set her up a rig and she can play wow with me casually or whatever.

She just knows the benefits of me setting up an entertainment room, big tvs and stereos to watch her films :)

skittlesej wrote: »
    I started playing WoW with my boyfriend lately and the only advice I can give is give her time to get used to the game! When I started playing my bf started a new character and leveled with me but we'd be doing quests together and he'd just go "follow me" and I found it hard to get used to the map and stuff if I was just following him all the time. Give her space to get used to it but be available to give her a hand when she needs it.

Yup, I'm amazed at how much stuff you need to learn when picking up your first game of this type. I took so much for granted that it can become a bit frustrating running about, though we agreed we're only doing ths because it's fun!

Even stuff like turning vs. strafing is a new concept to Herself. And some of the interface is very clunky, pressing multiple links to turn in a quest, for example.

We've also found that some stuff works for her, (like map rotation) that I don't use, and she prefers the keys instead of the mouse to look/rotate.

We played a bit on Tuesday night, managed to get her from L5 to 7. No major jump, I know, but she's learning loads.

And yes, I messed up on RAF, big mistake, no zhevra mount for me! ah well... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

LOL, its funny because i was really **** when i first started playing, got my hunter to lvl 45 or something before i learned about talent trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Websters

yeah you have to roll another one, any time i ve tried to convince anyone to play i need to level beside them! you should have used the "invite a friend" feature on the main website, it allows friend to friend summoning, free levels for you to grant,and your main can get an awesome free mount zebra thingy. it really is worth it, also you get 30 days free,lol! i missed out on this around 2 weeks ago when i got my housemate playing, im a dill!

Given that it's taken until now to get her to level 9, and we've already paid a month's sub, I doubt that I'll convince her to re-roll and do the same quests again.

lol @ magilly, we've all done newbish stuff on our first char, I think I was level 5 on my rogue before I figured out forward slash toggles run, and level 18 before I figured out that Num Lock lets you keep going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

get them to level 40 then release them to do it themselves . they will learn more soloing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Sort out your sex life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DrinkFeckArse

I play WoW with my boyfriend but we usually just do our own seperate thing. He's happy raiding and PvPing (or causing trouble in Trade :rolleyes:) whereas I'm usually just running around levelling other characters or collecting stuff. We both do the odd instance or boost together though.

I'd say keep another character close to her level so if she wants to do instances you can go with her but maybe leave her to her own devices most of the time unless she's really stuck on something.
    300% XP boost with RAF might make her level a bit too fast before she has a chance to get used to the game. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Websters

how long does that XP boost stay there though? only when rested? and what are the terms of the free level granting thing??? can someone grant me my 79-80 level cause im not looking forward to that crawl on my DK... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I wouldn't agree with RAF for beginners to be honest, it's great though for people to help friends level alts or even level your own ones.
    She will miss out on quite a lot. It shouldn't be a rush to cap level, that takes all the fun out of the game, although she could still experiance the game properly once you don't group with her but you still get all the other benefits.
    I definitely would recommend letting her go off and do her own thing for a bit after she leaves Teldrassil but maybe you're better off asking her which she would prefer.

I managed to get my ex to play and while it was great at first I found playing together actually caused more rows :P I would get too frustrated trying to teach him the ropes and he'd p1ss me off by not healing me on purpose lol.

@Websters
    The bonus exp only goes up to level 60 and your friend has to be higher then the char you want levels granted to so it won't be possible.
    Also your rested exp is not consumed until you hit 60, RAF expires or you go solo.

Gah browsing this forum is making me want to play again. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I started playing with my boyfriend about a month ago, we both just got another 60 day card.
    I'd played the free trial a few times before and he'd never played. we mostly play together with headsets and everything. Some quests are easier with two of us. We might go exploring, auction house, do a few little quests individually but if one of us gets ahead we help the other catch up and finish quests. I think it makes the game more fun and a little less addictive when you play with another person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

aww, isn't that nice....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

dyl10 wrote: »
    aww, isn't that nice....:)

Don't you wish you could get your OH to play? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Notorious wrote: »
    Don't you wish you could get your OH to play? ;)

While the cats are away, my friend...

Advertisement