Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80% humidity in bedroom

Options
  • 14-07-2009 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Before we moved into our apartment about 9 months ago there was a slight green stain on the bedroom wall. We were told it was fixed and in the past month I have noticed little spores appearing on the wall.

The wall itself is quite cold to the touch and for the past couple of days I put a hydrometer beside it. It was reading 80% this morning when we got up.

Is this something to worry about ? The humidity is normal in the rest of the room apart from this one corner. I'm in the process of sealing the wall with some anti-fungal paint at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Damp is one thing- and is the probable reason for the green mould. You need to get this looked at.

Humidity on the other hand- is a totally different matter. Humidity is about 84% in Dublin city centre at the moment. It means absolutely nothing- its the moisture content in the air- nothing else.

If air humidity is an issue (it normally is at this time of the year)- get a dehumidifier. You'd be very surprised at the many litres of water you can extract from the air in an average house, on a daily basis........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

KTRIC wrote: »
    Before we moved into our apartment about 9 months ago there was a slight green stain on the bedroom wall. We were told it was fixed and in the past month I have noticed little spores appearing on the wall.

The wall itself is quite cold to the touch and for the past couple of days I put a hydrometer beside it. It was reading 80% this morning when we got up.

Is this something to worry about ? The humidity is normal in the rest of the room apart from this one corner. I'm in the process of sealing the wall with some anti-fungal paint at the moment.

Just curious - how do you dry clothes? Do you use a dryer or put the clothes on racks in the apartment?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

oceanclub wrote: »
    Just curious - how do you dry clothes? Do you use a dryer or put the clothes on racks in the apartment?

P.

No clothes dried in that room. We did however put a small dehumidifier in the room which seems to have collected a small amount of water in the past week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

KTRIC wrote: »
    No clothes dried in that room. We did however put a small dehumidifier in the room which seems to have collected a small amount of water in the past week.

Whats a small amount?
    When I started using a dehumidifier I got between 12 and 14 litres a day- now I consistently get 3-4 litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

This is what we put in the room,

http://www.uhu.de/klebeberatung/katalog/Luftentfeuchter.pdf

I haven't got the money for an electric dehumidifier at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement