Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bisping Speaks after UFC 100** (spoiler..obviously)

Options
  • 14-07-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

** Hope this hasnt been posted already ? dont think so anyway....

Linkey
    MICHAEL BISPING'S hopes of a shot at the world middleweight title are on hold following his X-rated, second-round knockout by Dan Henderson here.

Britain’s top Ultimate Fighting Championship exponent was taken to hospital for scans after his clash with Henderson went horribly wrong to leave him with an enforced three-month lay-off.

In a scene reminiscent of Ricky Hatton’s fall against Manny Pacquiao here, Bisping lay motionless for more than two agonising minutes before coming around after a right hook that has now posed serious questions about his future.

In a woeful end to his appearance at the big UFC 100 bash, Bisping found himself on the wrong end of a series of brutal punches from 38-year-old Henderson and admitted afterwards: “I honestly don’t know what happened to me out there.

“I will just have to accept what the organisers say in their rules about when I fight next and take it on the chin. But I do know that I have the ability to bounce right back and succeed in my aim of lifting the world title.”

Bisping had been promised a crack at world champion Anderson Silva if he beat Henderson, his rival coach in a recent TV series which pitched a UK team against a USA one.

But Henderson just had too much in his armoury for him and it all left Bisping saying: “I was found wanting and I know it.

“Henderson won it fair and square and I have nothing but praise for him.” Bisping received a vote of confidence from the UFC’s Marshall Zelaznik, who said: “You have nothing to worry about when it comes to debating if Michael comes back and wins a world title or not.

“He will certainly do that. Of that I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever. The thing about UFC, unlike boxing, is that losing a fight doesn’t mean that you are finished.

“You can lose fights in our organisation and still go on for world titles.”

Bisping agreed, adding: “I have seen people like my training partner ‘Rampage’ Jackson lose fights in one or two rounds and still go on to become one of the best light-heavyweight fighters of them all, so I am not disheartened in any way.”

American Henderson certainly put in a vintage performance that now leaves Bisping at the back of the queue to challenge Silva.

And Henderson must be at the front after his brutal stoppage of ‘The Count’ earned him the $100,000 Knockout of the Night bonus.

Bisping had never even been knocked down before, yet even after getting rocked in the first round by Henderson’s big right hand, he surprisingly kept circling into it and ultimately paid the price. There was criticism for Henderson, who after knocking Bisping out clean on his feet, went on to slam in another power shot as the Lancastrian lay stretched on his back.

To add insult to injury, Henderson stated directly afterwards: “Normally I’m not that way in fights.

“I know if the guy’s out, I tend to stop. I hit him hard but I got that last blow in just to shut him up a little bit.”

In the main event, world heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar defeated Frank Mir in the second round to show again that he is the most feared UFC exponent around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

He didn't comment about the 2nd shot, wonder has anyone told him about it yet ;-) he certainly didn't know anything about it when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Glad he's alright though. I'm sure he will be foggy headed for a week after that knockout.

I have my doubts he will ever be champ though. In fact I would say Bisping will never be champ. Fortunatly for him, there are plenty of beatable middlewieghts around for him to build on..Just stay away from wandi!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

He choked, through the game plan out the window, and reverted to what he knows best.

I dont think he will be champion though, couldnt see him beat Marquadt or Maia.

LOL at the x-rated comment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

If you ever thought Bisping would be champ at middle or LHW you're on crack.
    I like the guys but he just aint that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

just watched the fight on Setanta. the 2nd punch after the KO was well out of order and unsportmans like it actually turns me off MMA. I know it's not a tickling contest but still think there was no need for the follow through punch

• Advertisement

When the adrenaline is pumping, you dont have time to process the information and make a decision like you do when watching a replay. hendo's opponent went down, Hendo followed in until the ref stopped the fight. Conversley, he could lose the fight, if it was only a flash ko, and Bisping recovered. Bad sportmanship does not come into it at all.

The ref stops the fight, not the fighter. (Unless your BJ Penn, than you can stop the fight.;))

Hendo was asked a stupid question after the fight, he gave a stupid answer. There was nothing improper with the shot after the KO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

T-K-O wrote: »

You dont make it to the ufc and win a string of fights unless "you're any good", theyres no shame in being KO'd by Dan henderson, ask Wanderlei Silva ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

dunkamania wrote: »
    When the adrenaline is pumping, you dont have time to process the information and make a decision like you do when watching a replay. hendo's opponent went down, Hendo followed in until the ref stopped the fight. Conversley, he could lose the fight, if it was only a flash ko, and Bisping recovered. Bad sportmanship does not come into it at all.

The ref stops the fight, not the fighter. (Unless your BJ Penn, than you can stop the fight.;))

Hendo was asked a stupid question after the fight, he gave a stupid answer. There was nothing improper with the shot after the KO.

But, but, but Hendo gave the same stupid answer in the press conference after.

Fair enough, but it doesnt mean the second shot wanst legitimate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

dunkamania wrote: »
    Fair enough, but it doesnt mean the second shot wanst legitimate

I know it is just leaving a bad taste in people's mouths and muddys the waters a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 obcork

I actually thought he was dead, he looked in bad way.

Picture of Hatton after his ko ran through my head when i saw his head tilted back on the canvas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

T-K-O wrote: »
    If serra can become a champ it proves anyone in the ufc can!!

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15523/dan-henderson-on-controversy-i-think-i-showed-good-sportsmanship-by-stopping-when-i-did.mma

Comments from Hendo regarding Bisping fight

"It wasn't intentional," Henderson said. "I didn't know he was completely knocked out or done until after that second punch, and that's exactly when I stopped. And I've hit guys just as hard almost right on the button like that (first shot), and they fall down, and the fight continues because maybe I didn't land the second shot right or the ref feels like that [my opponent] is still able to defend himself and he squeaks past and holds on. But I didn't want that to happen. That's why I was on him so quick with the second punch."

During a 12-year career spent mostly with the UFC and PRIDE, Henderson said he's learned to finish opponents once they're in a vulnerable state. Besides, he said, in that split second between the time the first punch landed and he reared up for the second, he didn't have to assess Bisping's state.

"It's instinct," he said. "Obviously, I knew I had him hurt bad, but you never know if the fight is going to be finished right then and there until the ref steps in. ... I wanted to shut him up completely and good and wanted to make sure the ref stopped the fight.

"If I'm standing up not making him vulnerable for shots and not striking, he doesn't have to defend himself. The ref might not stop it. With me adding one more punch to it, he has to step in and stop the fight no matter what. So I didn't know he was completely out until the second punch landed. There wasn't time to really think about the pros and cons of whether I should hit him again or not. It's too close. I did what I was supposed to do in that fight and at the end as well to finish it. That's what every fighter is trained to do, is finish the fight. I felt like I showed good sportsmanship by stopping right then and there. I didn't try to continue after the ref stopped it like a lot of fighters have done. That's just what I tried to joke about afterward and that's what people have a problem with."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If serra can become a champ it proves anyone in the ufc can!!

Serra is a serious bjj player and has decent wrestling skills, plus his boxing is not too shabby compared to others in the ufc, i think he's good.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cowzerp wrote: »
    Serra is a serious bjj player and has decent wrestling skills, plus his boxing is not too shabby compared to others in the ufc, i think he's good.
    I never implied he was not good, But how would you compare him to gsp?
    People are touting gsp as one of the greatest and i don't think serra was even ranked top 10 when he took the belt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Anyone can win a title fight, it's a one off and luck can play as big a part as skill.

BUT

The UFC won't give Bisping a title shot now unless he fights his way back into the frame, and he just isn't good enough to beat 2 / 3 top contenders to earn his shot.

Serra shocked us all in beating GSP, but he earned his shot by winning a season of TUF featuring many fighters past their prime or who were not top class.

Can't see Bisping go on a tear through the likes of Marquadt, Maia, and company.

Advertisement