Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power shower not hot enough

Options
  • 14-07-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, wonder if I could pick your brains for a sec..

We've just moved in to a new house and we have a power shower. At first I thought it was an electric shower, but it isn't, it takes gas boiler heated hot water. Anyway..

It's not hot enough. What I mean is, we've plenty of hot water when I run the tap to test it - really hot in fact. But this darn power shower, on the max heat setting, is warm and adequate, but certainly not hot like the hot water tap.

Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

honestly never heard of this happening, Are you sure the boiler in your house is not a combi boiler heating the water instantly in the hot tap in the kitchen. Try the bathroom tap and see if the water is hot in it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Hi Joey, thanks for replying.

It's definitely storage heating. Bathroom tap nice and hot, burning hot in fact. Just the power shower kinda mediocre hot, iyswim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What a power shower does is pump hot and cold water from the tanks. There must be hot water present to pump hot, I think if you follow the hot tap the valve must be closed otherwise it makes no sense, Even if the shower contains a thermostat which the good models do if the thermostat fails you usually get to hot water not to cold.

Hope a plumber can advise you better but I would start with following the hot pipe to see if the gate valve is open.... Be careful not to open gate valve willie nillie as you might unbalance your heating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks again Joey, will have a look at that once I get home. I don't want to be opening / closing taps or wheels in the airing cupboard though, if I'm honest, as I did this in my previous home and cocked something up, pressure I think it was.

I don't mind having a go at simple electrics, but anything to do with plumbing and I've learnt to leave well alone!

Advertisement