Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux 3G device

• 14-07-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, mods please feel free to move if so. Was undecided between here, gadgets, and programming!

Does any one know of any 3G devices that are available with linux drivers?

Something along the lines of this:(I think this is the product O2 use for their 3g broadband)
    http://www.sierrawireless.com/Product/compass_885.aspx

I'm not too worried about how its connects (USB etc) more its size. I'm trying to prototype something in an embedded environment, but can only find devices with windows drivers. I've contacted Sierra and 2 other Asian based companies with not repsonse yet.

I'm not too up on my Linux usb devices, am I being dumb, or would it be detected simply as an AT modem device and I can then just issue AT commands?

I've read some of the other threads here regarding mobile broadband, just wondering if any one has any other experiences

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've used the Vodafone 3G stick on Ubuntu without problems. In fact, I find it much more stable than using it under Vista.

So, there must be drivers available for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Great, Thanks Tom. I completely neglected to check what the story was with the larger distro's. Lots of food for thought there, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Most dongles should just work ootb with 9.04 (Gnome, there can be issues with KDE, especially in Karmic). Plug it in and first time it should pop up a wizard asking you what provider you use (O2, 3, etc) and away you go, couldn't be easier.

KPPP, pon and Umtsmon can save you if this doesn't work, plus I remember using a Vodofone linux app years ago too.

Cool, thanks.

Hoping to run this on a minimalist embedded kernel :rolleyes: So these are some good starting points to see whats going on and what at least works with the desktop distros

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

ianhobo wrote: »
    Cool, thanks.

Hoping to run this on a minimalist embedded kernel :rolleyes: So these are some good starting points to see whats going on and what at least works with the desktop distros

Thanks

Load up a Live CD and test if it recognises the dongle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

can confirm with ubuntu 9.04 it's just plug & play for o2 (e270). First time the modem was plugged in it asked for the service provider (selected o2 contract from a list), it asked for the pin code and that was it .. from then on I just plug it in when needed and it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

This might interest you http://josefsson.org/openwrt/dongle.html. From just a quick glance, the poster is using a huawei modem (which most of the 3g providers seam to use) to connect from a openwrt box (busybox based, so relevant for embedded systems.)

Thats great, thanks very much!

Advertisement